Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #31
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabean View Post
The zero entrance is for the handicapped.

Nothing against that... but this is based on what information?
Common knowledge.
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #32
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I agree that it looks like this pool, which was really large and nice to swim in, is much smaller now. I don't mind a zero-entry, but this one looks like it's taking up half of the pool. Not sure I like this change at all. As for the fence, it's a shame since it doesn't look as nice with it there, but I guess it's necessary to stop people from pool-hopping...

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #33
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

I've heard the fences are a county ordinance and since Disney had pools before the ordinance they didn't need fences. But the county has told Disney that any pool that they rehab in the future will need a fence put around it.

Cdn Friends of Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #34
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

The fence is going to take some getting used to. I think it takes away from the flow of the grounds. I know they are doing that because of pool hopping.

The zero entry is fine with me. I've had it at other pools.

The pools are just going to get crowded when the DVC opens. They didn't plan out for the extra guests all that well.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #35
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm thinking the REAL reason for the zero entry has to do with the GF-DVC. A while back I had posted this thread asking if the GF beach pool would become exclusive to the DVC. What we didn't know at the time is that the courtyard pool would have a fence around it. As someone posted in the long GRAND VACATION 2012 FAQ there's been some chatter that the courtyard pool would soon require showing your room card to keep out the nearby DVC guests. This means that the beach pool becomes a defacto DVC exclusive pool.

I was also lurking over at the WDWmagic forums and there's a few good opinions there that the whole POINT of the GF is to be an elegant adult flagship resort... and this pool refurb runs counter to that.

Sure.. the pool looks great when it's empty... but when occupied, one side of it will look like a beach with people standing around:

http://cdn.wdwmagic.com/imgstore/Ele...Full_18458.jpg

They've basically taken a nice big pool and cut it in half.
At the projected cost to purchase DVC at the GF, I seriously doubt they are going to limit pool use. I don't see that happening at all.

DVC members have been able to pool hop to GF, I will not be surprised if after the villas open if GF is taken off that list.

I had been told by those that work in Disney resort management that eventually all Deluxe resort pools will be gated and the new Magic bands will be used to open the gate for entry.

You can blame those that see no problem with pool hopping for that.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #36
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

you can pool hop already with DVC...

They are doing just like they did with the Grand Cal at Disneyland. You will need a room key to get through the fence... It's rumored that the Poly will be doing this also.

at least this one isn't like 8 feet tall like the one in California.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #37
Tink rules

This is what the pool at the Grand Cal looks like...

Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #38
goNDmay9
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Friends of Pooh View Post
I've heard the fences are a county ordinance and since Disney had pools before the ordinance they didn't need fences. But the county has told Disney that any pool that they rehab in the future will need a fence put around it.
I heard the same.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #39
Seabean
Mouseketeer

This picture is worth a 1000 words:

http://cdn.wdwmagic.com/imgstore/Ele...Full_18454.jpg
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #40
toodycat
DIS Veteran

I am fine with the zero entry. It makes life easier for my parents who could not climb down a pool ladder or walk down steps easily. However, I do wish they'd left more depth. I don't swim laps but I've always loved lolling around in the deeper parts of the pool and the genteel yet relaxed atmosphere of the courtyard. The pool never lacked for kids anyway. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I can't imagine the atmosphere will be the same.
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #41
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
This picture is worth a 1000 words:

http://cdn.wdwmagic.com/imgstore/Ele...Full_18454.jpg
Or just two...

It's beautiful.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #42
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Or just two...

It's beautiful.
Except that people who are like halfway into the pool the water is still only up to their knees

Looks pretty, a little packed though.
Shaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #43
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
Except that people who are like halfway into the pool the water is still only up to their knees

Looks pretty, a little packed though.
17ish people is hardly "packed".
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #44
polyqueen
Earning My Ears

We've been going to the GF yearly for over 20 years. The CMs at Sugar Loaf were pretty worried about the refurbishment last summer and now it's obvious as to why they felt that way. The zero entry is fine, but we will miss the "deep end" and the simple elegance of the old pool. First the Polynesian's resort pool rehab, now this. I'm expecting Storm-a-long Bay's lazy river to be reduced to 4 foot depth soon! And, the fence is awful and cheap-looking.
polyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #45
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
17ish people is hardly "packed".
Oh i didn't mean the people, I meant because its fenced in, trying to fit all the lounge chairs and stuff there just makes it looked a little jammed in some of the photos I have seen.

But really, its only half the pool it used to be ...
Shaden is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: