Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #16
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabean View Post
I'm thinking the REAL reason for the zero entry has to do with the GF-DVC. A while back I had posted this thread asking if the GF beach pool would become exclusive to the DVC. What we didn't know at the time is that the courtyard pool would have a fence around it. As someone posted in the long GRAND VACATION 2012 FAQ there's been some chatter that the courtyard pool would soon require showing your room card to keep out the nearby DVC guests. This means that the beach pool becomes a defacto DVC exclusive pool.

I was also lurking over at the WDWmagic forums and there's a few good opinions there that the whole POINT of the GF is to be an elegant adult flagship resort... and this pool refurb runs counter to that.

Sure.. the pool looks great when it's empty... but when occupied, one side of it will look like a beach with people standing around:

http://cdn.wdwmagic.com/imgstore/Ele...Full_18458.jpg

They've basically taken a nice big pool and cut it in half.
Do you mean keep out people from other DVC resorts or GF DVC?
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #17
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

I'd bet the fence was installed to keep people from coming over from the MK for an afternoon swim when they aren't even staying at the GF. This is now the fourth pool that requires a key to enter the pool area. I wouldn't be surprised if more didn't do this.

I really enjoyed this pool when we stayed at the GF in the Sugarloaf building because it was so close. And it wasn't very busy because most of the guests were over at the themed pool. I think the renovations to the pool make it more usable by more guests at GF.

The Villas at the GF are going to be smaller, so those guests won't have a large impact on the pools at the GF.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

I stayed there many times as a teen and now as an adult with my own kids and I think it looks lovely. I'll need to look at it for our upcoming trip, but the DVC construction has kept me from considering it (we are staying at CR this time). If the fence keeps out people who don't belong, great! Fence the volcano pool at Poly because that pool has the most offenders IMO.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Personally, I don't like zero entry either but I can see the use and the appeal. I think the real issue with this is that it will halve the swimming area of the pool. That pool is now mostly a wading pool, with an end to quickly dunk yourself. Not a good change imo.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

I actually like the improvements. It still looks classy, beachy and now more family friendly and handicapped accessible. My kids are old enough now that they don't need the zero entry but they still play in it. And I agree with others that if the fence (which I don't find all that offensive) keeps people out, great! I always wonder how many are truly resort guests or just people exploring the pool.....
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
The zero entrance is for the handicapped.

Nothing against that... but this is based on what information?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-en...swimming_pools

Quote:
Zero-entry swimming poolsA zero-entry swimming pool, also called a beach entry swimming pool, is a swimming pool having an edge or entry that gradually slopes from the deck into the water, becoming deeper with each step, in the manner of a natural beach. As there are no stairs or ladders to navigate, this type of entry assists older people, young children and people with accessibility problems where gradual entry is useful.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Based on the fact that is the only way people with certain disabilities -- including those who rely on wheelchairs -- can enjoy the pool.

when I'm home, I swim laps at my gym in a terrific no-wave pool with lanes. When I go to WDW I do not expect to be able to swim laps. The JW Marriott/Ritz in Orlando has a lap pool behind their spa, if that's what you're looking for.

And, sorry, the fence may or may not be aesthetically right but I can't find a lot of sympathy for people who will now have to take an extra 47 steps to get from one building to another.
cgulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Zero entry has been added to most new pool refers on property because the new suggestion from ADA is to have two means of entrance/exit for those with disabilities and one should not require special equipment. By having 0 entry many more disabled guests to WDW can enjoy the pool with out having to get a lifeguard first to set up equipment to put them in the pool then to take them out later. I know at one point ADA was fighting that all public and hotel pools have an entry for the disabled that didn't require special equipment (other then a water wheelchair).
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #24
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinor Dashwood View Post
. My kids are old enough now that they don't need the zero entry but they still play in it
But my guess is they'd prefer to have zero entry and still have had the deep end.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #25
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
When I go to WDW I do not expect to be able to swim laps.
No but it's still nice to have both a deeper end and a zero-entry/shallow area.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #26
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
But my guess is they'd prefer to have zero entry and still have had the deep end.
Isn't that what the pool is, zero entry and then gradually getting deeper? I'm not sure what you mean by deep end?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #27
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinor Dashwood View Post
Isn't that what the pool is, zero entry and then gradually getting deeper? I'm not sure what you mean by deep end?
A large part of the pool used to be around 5-6 feet deep. Apparently with the construction the deepest part is now only around 4 feet. My kids and I are not happy.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
A large part of the pool used to be around 5-6 feet deep. Apparently with the construction the deepest part is now only around 4 feet. My kids and I are not happy.
Oh, really, only 4' now? That is kind of disappointing as I thought it would be deeper, at least still 5'. Still overall I like the improvements and we'd still enjoy swimming around.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #29
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Anybody really know how deep the pool is these days at its deepest part, since the construction?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #30
peaches00
Mouseketeer

The new pool looks great for little kids...it looks like almost 1/2 the pool is ankle deep according to new pics. The problem is where on property do older kids and adults go. My dh wanted to go here for next trip but I convinced him to wait until pool was done. He took one look at pics and said no way. It looks like all the chairs are much more congested now, maybe due to fence. When my son was 11, he had no interest in beach pool cuz he got bored with it. He swam in cy pool. There's plenty of room for little kids. Just no room for older kids and adults.

grand floridian 2002 poly club 2009 port Orleans 2011
royal pacific club 2007
Portofino bay club 2008,2010(x2)
peaches00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: