Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Check out privs start at age 8.
Thanks!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnDRader View Post
My just turned 10yo was miserable And, in all fairness, she may have been the oldest one in there. At least she looked like she was and even though she's almost 11 now many people might think she's still 8 because she's so tiny. Come to think of it she probably still fits in some of her 8 clothes . Poor girl.
My DD10 is experiencing the same thing. She looks like she is 7/8 years old, but she's 10 and wears a size 7/8 clothing.

I am hoping that she will enjoy it in June (medcruise).

My DD13 really likes the lab and does not like the preteen area.
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
mamaode
Mouseketeer

I had a 9.5 yr old ds & 10.5 yr old dd on the fantasy in January. My ds would have stayed in there 24hrs, my dd really enjoyed the activities they had and spent 2-3hrs a day there. I did NOT allow self check out for either. I do not want my dd roaming a ship to find me.

We were traveling with another family with a 12yr old & 14yr old. I did sign the waiver for My dd to go to edge with them only. They did also put a sticker on her kttw card. My dd did participate in the cupcake class in edge and one other craft but that was it. She mostly used the club/lab instead.
mamaode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

I just asked my daughter and she did say she wanted to check out both the Lab and see if she'd be allowed in the Edge. She's 6 weeks from turning 11. But she had read that the Club and Lab were separate on the classic ships so she's willing to check it out. She'll have check out privilege anyway. We'll be happy either way. She thrived having freedom last June. Like she grew up some overnight.

Now my 7yo son? Dude LOVED LOVED LOVED the Lab on the Dream. That is all he ever wanted to do. From the time we got up until we forced him to bed all he talked about was getting back to kids camp.(He still remembers that name from Beaches. Another place he loved.) He's just into it.

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
kgsmith
DIS Veteran

We were on the DCL Alaska cruise in 2011. My then-9.5 year old absolutely loved the Oceaneer's Lab. We had to drag him out for dinner each night

Your child may be interested in working on the Junior Ranger program while on board. They can complete as little or as much as they want.

kgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
SapphireMind
Mouseketeer

My 10.5 yo isn't sure which group she wants to be with....depends I bet on who she bonds more with during open house
SapphireMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #22
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

When are you going to Alaska? My dd will have just turned 11on our upcoming Alaska trip starting June3rd. She was really bored in the lab on our December cruise at 10 1/2. They club and Lab are combined frequently to make room for the "open houses" in the other location. This meant a whole lot of little kids running around the Lab. She said the games ended up being boring because they were really competitions for her age group when 10 year olds were competing against 7 year olds (GAGA ball, etc). She also noted the counselors were very focused on managing the little ones and the older ones didn't receive much attention and were sort of ignored. She had the option of doing a few "out and about" activities with Vibe kids, but we didn't discover this until a few days into the trip and the cliques had already bonded by then. This time we will have her try Vibe first and do the "out and about" right away.
emma'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #23
lisettemac
Earning My Ears

We are going in July.
lisettemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #24
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma'smom View Post
When are you going to Alaska? My dd will have just turned 11on our upcoming Alaska trip starting June3rd. .... This time we will have her try Vibe first and do the "out and about" right away.
The Vibe is for kids 14-17. The Edge is for kids 11-14.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Would a 13 y o be allowed in Lab?

My kids will be: 3, 8, 9, 11, & 13 in trip.
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #26
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2n2 View Post
Would a 13 y o be allowed in Lab?

My kids will be: 3, 8, 9, 11, & 13 in trip.
I don't think so. I've never read of anyone being allowed to go down a level.

If you want your kids to be together, the 11 & 13 year old can both be in Edge, while the 3, 8, & 9 year olds would be in Club/Lab.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #27
jxd
Mouseketeer

Our mature 10 1/2 yr old son was bored with the lab. We went to the Edge and explained that this was his 5th cruise and the counselors agreed he could try it. He LOVED it! Our only restriction on him was that he was not allowed to leave the Edge with other kids and roam the ship. I saw too many kids in that age group (as well as others) acting in ways that we did not approve. We trusted him that when he was ready to leave, he came to the room. He usually took the long way back by passing by the basketball court and ice cream machine...can't say that I blame him! He also knew that if he broke the rules, he was back to the Lab!
jxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxd View Post
Our mature 10 1/2 yr old son was bored with the lab. We went to the Edge and explained that this was his 5th cruise and the counselors agreed he could try it. He LOVED it! Our only restriction on him was that he was not allowed to leave the Edge with other kids and roam the ship. I saw too many kids in that age group (as well as others) acting in ways that we did not approve. We trusted him that when he was ready to leave, he came to the room. He usually took the long way back by passing by the basketball court and ice cream machine...can't say that I blame him! He also knew that if he broke the rules, he was back to the Lab!
Most of the 10-12 crowd I saw last week behaved very well. They seemed to love riding the mid ship elevators lol! Or they'd stand on the outside of the glass elevator making funny faces as people went by. Clean fun. Now some of the teenagers would hit every deck button as they'd get out of elevators which, while annoying, is at least harmless.

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #29
Monkey28
Earning My Ears

We were on the Wonder last month and my DD9 and DD10 were not too impressed with the club/lab. I tried to send them there a few times so I could my quiet time in but of course that never happened.. they always came back after 30-45 minutes! I see it appealing to younger age groups, but I didn't see many activities that catered to the older end of the age group. Maybe this varies by ship?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: