Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

NCL- Pay for Kid's Clubs?

Anyone every cruised NCL? Is it true that you have to pay for kids clubs by the hour during the day? Note--not nursery services. I'm talking about kid's club for an 11 year old and an 8 year old? Really? That's nuts!
emma'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma'smom View Post
Anyone every cruised NCL? Is it true that you have to pay for kids clubs by the hour during the day? Note--not nursery services. I'm talking about kid's club for an 11 year old and an 8 year old? Really? That's nuts!
I got this from the NCL site:

Do I have to pay for the youth programs?

No, our youth programs are complimentary programs for children ages 3-17.

and this:

Is there anything offered for children after 10:30 pm?

Yes, Norwegian offers Late Night Fun Zone, a group-sitting, fee-based service for children ages 3-12 years old. Late Night Fun Zone is run by the Youth Staff in the Splash Academy Facility.

Hours of Operations
Nightly: 10:30 pm  1:30 am

Fees
$6.00 per child/per hour, $4.00 per sibling/per hour
Parents are encouraged to sign up in advance. If no children are signed up or dropped off by 11:30 pm, the youth center will close for the evening. The Late Night fee is charged to your on-board account. A fifteen minute transition time is offered before charges apply from Splash Academy to Late Night. Sign out authorization for 10-12 year olds doesnt apply during Late Night Fun Zone.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
KEichman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
In addition to the fee for late night supervision at the kids club noted above, there are hourly fees for the kids clubs when the ship is in port.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

But don't be surprised about limited/crazy hours. It may have been the iteniary/time we cruised but we were really with the kid's club or the lack of kid's club hours. About 4 hours at night.

Just an FYI

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
KEichman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
But don't be surprised about limited/crazy hours. It may have been the iteniary/time we cruised but we were really with the kid's club or the lack of kid's club hours. About 4 hours at night.

Just an FYI
Hmmm...that's interesting. You're right...it may have been the itinerary? We didn't have that experience at all.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEichman View Post
Hmmm...that's interesting. You're right...it may have been the itinerary? We didn't have that experience at all.
We have taken 3 NCL cruises and it is just recently that they have started limiting the kids club hours. It is apparently in response to parents who would drop off their children in the morning and not pick them up until late at night. NCL kids club doesn't feed your children, unless there is a specific activity indicating such, so these kids didn't eat all day. So many of the clubs (but not all) are closing from 12-2 and 5-7 pm. There has always been a fee for "port play" and after hours as indicated in a post above.
We have never paid for kids club services and my boys love their program. The programs are very different, NCL is very much sports and activity based, no computers and big tv screens like Disney.
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
tajz90
Mama D

RCCL also charges for kids clubs the same way. Crazy.

Our kids love DCL. My younger son is crazy for sports and would be mad if the only opportunities to play were in front of a computer or a TV.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
miztressuz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEichman View Post
In addition to the fee for late night supervision at the kids club noted above, there are hourly fees for the kids clubs when the ship is in port.
it looks like they may have updated this with the new kids program that recently launched. here's the FAQ link:
http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/...een-crew/faq#1

it states that the programming is complimentary while in port except for meal periods. as someone else pointed out, they don't normally feed the kids so there is a flat fee per meal period while in port.

i do recall reading about the fees while in port before so i think this was part of the changes announced last year. they've been rolling out the 'new' kids program over the last year.
WDW
'06, '08, '09, '10, '11 POP
'93 CR with folks
miztressuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

Ok... So there is only a charge on port days during the meal hours? That's how RCCL operates. We still like DCL best, but thought we would try the whole Nick theming and wanted something out of New OrleAns. We aren't so interested in some of the ports and it would be nice to have the kids club available for some hours if the kids get bored of the pool. Why do I always feel like we are missing conveniences when we don't choose DCL?
emma'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Ok... So there is only a charge on port days during the meal hours? That's how RCCL operates. We still like DCL best, but thought we would try the whole Nick theming and wanted something out of New OrleAns. We aren't so interested in some of the ports and it would be nice to have the kids club available for some hours if the kids get bored of the pool. Why do I always feel like we are missing conveniences when we don't choose DCL?
I don't know if RCCL charges for child care during port days. They charge for child care/kid clubs in the evening. Not sure of the time frame, but it seemed like it was 10/10:30.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It's not so much conveniences as paying a-la-carte for services. If you use the late night services or port play, you pay extra. If you don't use them, you don't pay. You're still likely paying a lot less than a DCL cruise even if you use these services extensively.
It has been our experience that there are few children in the clubs when in port, and certainly less overall than on DCL at other times.
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
eeyoremommy
DIS Veteran

RCCL does NOT charge for port days. We just got off a cruise with them. DS stayed on the ship in two ports. He ate lunch with them in one port. There are times when they do close for lunch or dinner, but I believe that may be on sea days. The only charge is for the late night program that starts at 10:00.
eeyoremommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: