Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
mickey'sbff
She passes time by singing, like someone else I know.

Location: My head's always stuck in the clouds.....I could say hi to Rainbow Dash for you if you want.

Birthday Button "Etiquette"?

My mother and I were talking about maybe doing a mini mother/daughter trip during Columbus Day weekend to test out MNSSHP since we've never done it, do Food and Wine again since we did it last year and loved it and to possibly celebrate my birthday. My birthday is in July, but I do know that people still go to celebrate their birthday during the trip even if it's not their actual birthday.

My question is, do people normally wear the button the whole trip? I know it's not that big of a deal and there's no Disney birthday police, but I was just wondering what other people normally do.
Check out those Disco Pants!

All the World is made of Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust
mickey'sbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
alc571
DIS Veteran

We went a week after our sons birthday, and he wore his button the entire trip. We were there to celebrate him turning 7 - I don't think it matters that it wasn't the actual day. He certainly received some extra pixie dust on the trip thanks to the button - so he loved that. He'd take it off though if there was singing going on. He does not like attention! lol
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Some people wear it for the whole trip.
Some people wear it for a day.
Do whatever makes you happy!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
JennyL1984
Earning My Ears

My DH wore his the whole trip. Just be prepared to hear "Happy Birthday!" a lot, lol.
JennyL1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
erynsmom
Mouseketeer

We were just there at the end of February celebrating DD's 7th birthday. She wore her button for the entire trip. It was awesome. Lots of people said happy birthday to her and there were some special birthday magic all week long (special desserts).
Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
broadwaylindsey
Earning My Ears

I wore mine the whole trip and at some restaurants you can receive a free piece of cake and also you hear "Happy Birthday!" A lot which is really fun!
broadwaylindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
MarieLightning
Mouseketeer

When I went in November, my Uncle had just turned 61 the day before our departure and my aunt's 60th birthday was during the trip, so I got them both buttons!

My aunt wore hers quite a few days out of the trip - a couple of days she left it off because she tended to forget she had it on and it threw her off to be wished a happy birthday so often My uncle wore his a little less, and didn't wear it on my aunt's birthday so she would get all the attention

It was really cute though, watching everyone wish them a happy birthday. It was especially funny once when we were at Magic Kingdom and a CM told my aunt "Bonne fete", which is happy birthday in French (which we speak, of course XD), and my aunt thanked her in English and it took her a few seconds to register the French and then she turned around all flustered and goes, "Oh, erm, merci!" It was great XD
MarieLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
White Rose
Mouseketeer

I'm kinda wierd I guess....

My birthday is in July. Our Vacation is in Oct.
If I was celebrating my birthday, I'd go in July.
It's not like Disney is not open then...

We went on a alaskan crusie a few years ago, celebrating our wedding anniversary, which is in Oct. We went on the last cruise of the season, which is Sept. We celebrated our anniversary then on-board, because it was the closest possible travel date to the event we were celebrating. There are no cruises on the cruiseline we wanted to use in Oct.

Our 10th wedding anniversary is Oct 12. We are going Oct 6-13 and then on a 4 night Disney Cruise. Yes we will be celebrating the whole trip because the point of the trip is to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary which happens during the trip....a trip starting a few days before or after is fine...but months? no. No one will stop you, and if you feel comfortable, go for it. Once we were asked for proof of our anniversary - when we booked a trip in Vegas. We got a suite upgrade, and we faxed a copy of our wedding certificate to get it!

I am all for celebrating birthdays, anniversaries etc...but do it when they actually occur. Sometimes magical things can happen to poeple who wear those buttons and such, but I always feel it cheapens it if you do it just anytime of year, not around the actual time of it.
White Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
kimis
DIS Veteran

ABSOLUTELY! Go wear it all the time and have a magical time!
2007-DL Paradise Pier
2007-DL Candy cane Inn
2007-DL Portofino Inn
2006-POR 2005-POR 2005- DL Paradise Pier 1999-Dixie Landings (1st of many trips-I hope!) 1999- DL Holiday Inn and many more DL trips
kimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
figment814
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rose View Post
I'm kinda wierd I guess....

My birthday is in July. Our Vacation is in Oct.
If I was celebrating my birthday, I'd go in July.
It's not like Disney is not open then...

We went on a alaskan crusie a few years ago, celebrating our wedding anniversary, which is in Oct. We went on the last cruise of the season, which is Sept. We celebrated our anniversary then on-board, because it was the closest possible travel date to the event we were celebrating. There are no cruises on the cruiseline we wanted to use in Oct.

Our 10th wedding anniversary is Oct 12. We are going Oct 6-13 and then on a 4 night Disney Cruise. Yes we will be celebrating the whole trip because the point of the trip is to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary which happens during the trip....a trip starting a few days before or after is fine...but months? no. No one will stop you, and if you feel comfortable, go for it. Once we were asked for proof of our anniversary - when we booked a trip in Vegas. We got a suite upgrade, and we faxed a copy of our wedding certificate to get it!

I am all for celebrating birthdays, anniversaries etc...but do it when they actually occur. Sometimes magical things can happen to poeple who wear those buttons and such, but I always feel it cheapens it if you do it just anytime of year, not around the actual time of it.
I understand where your coming from; but sometimes life doesn't allow for it. I am blocked from taking any vacation the entire month of my birthday. I jus happen to have a birthday in our busiest month. While I would never do it for say my 33rd birthday, if I was planning a huge milestone birthday trip for a 40th or 50th I might wear the button.
Previous Trips to WDW: Offsite (1980, 1996, 1997, 2008); SSR (2005, 2008, 2010, 2011); BWV (2009, 2010, 2011,2012); WLV (2010); AKL-Jambo (2011); AKL-Kidani (2011); BLT (2012) Upcoming: 2013 BWV (2) and AKL-Jambo

My WISH Journal
figment814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment814 View Post
I understand where your coming from; but sometimes life doesn't allow for it. I am blocked from taking any vacation the entire month of my birthday. I jus happen to have a birthday in our busiest month. While I would never do it for say my 33rd birthday, if I was planning a huge milestone birthday trip for a 40th or 50th I might wear the button.
I don't think I would wear one unless it was my actual birthday month. I'm thinking the increase in people wearing buttons whenever, instead of for their actual birthday, is why people are getting less and less magical extras.

I would never wear one 3 moths after the fact.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

I will be there on my 40th with my 3 boys. I have no intent of telling anyone its my birthday, since I never celebrate it anyway. But, I overheard one of my boys asking his brothers if they should put some money together And try to find a place to buy a surprise cake for me. I thought it wAs cute.
momofboyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Well we are one of those families that celebrated after the face. Our 9 day trip in December 2010 was in celebration of my and dh 10th wedding anniversary(which was in July) and dd and ds birthday and Christmas presents. Both kids birthdays are in November.

There was no way we could have in July that year to celebrate the anniversary.

When we booked the trip I told our TA that is was a belated anniversary trip and present for the kids. She added it to our reservation.

When we checked in at the Hawaii building at the Poly we all were given the respective buttons. DD and Ds wore theirs almost everyday of the trip. Dh and I only wore ours one day.

Sometimes life doesn't allow you to celebrate on the given day. Heck, on the actual day of our anniversary, we were on a 12 drive back home.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
sesame_123
Mouseketeer

Quote:

My sister is a huge fan of Larry bird and she took a special trip to Disney just for her Larry Bird birthday! (His number was 33, so I found your not for my 33 really funny)

My problem our next trip is planned for Nov 1-11. We have 8 people going and starting 2 weeks before to 2 weeks after the trip we have 7 birthdays. DD on October 17, my sister. October 14, mine November 9 my DS November 10, DH November 12, DMIL November 13, And DFIL November 25. If everyone wears a button will we get strange looks? The trip was planned to celebrate DS birthday so I think we will let him have his button and just be happy for him.
sesame_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
White Rose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
if you are going close to it, yea, I would do it too for a milestone, but not 3 months later - but that's me and I do not set up the rules!
White Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: