Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #1336
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2bminnie View Post
I agree!
I am also waiting to see some photos of the actual plated items so I can see portion sizes, etc.....this way I can decide in advance what I am going to order!

Please someone show us some pics!!

there is a pretty good review from opening night (so, a real meal, not the pre-opening party thing) over at Inside the Magic
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/0...-disney-world/

There are some pictures of the food and they commented that the scallop dish seemed like a small portion, but with the gnochi was fairly heavy and plenty of food. They said the chicken dish was quite large (though the skin was salty)

Also include a picture of watching Wishes from what I believe is the new South observation deck:

**In Progress** Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #1337
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post

there is a pretty good review from opening night (so, a real meal, not the pre-opening party thing) over at Inside the Magic
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/0...-disney-world/

There are some pictures of the food and they commented that the scallop dish seemed like a small portion, but with the gnochi was fairly heavy and plenty of food. They said the chicken dish was quite large (though the skin was salty)

Also include a picture of watching Wishes from what I believe is the new South observation deck:
Thanks for that!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
ddluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #1338
Maiky
Earning My Ears

I posted a review of my dinner on opening night in the Coming to you Live! thread. Here is the link and if the link doesn't work the post is #3037. (Can't post the pictures here because I'm at the airport right now)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#.UjOJpfcr63g
Maiky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #1339
snausman
Mouseketeer

I know people will be upset with me but this is my family opinion. W e ate at CG on Friday the 13th. LOVED what they did with the restaurant it is beautiful!

But the food was, well, just not that good at all. First not to wild about the selection of apps they had but we went with the duck in its glory and spicy roll. We loved the spicy K roll it was out of this world. The duck one was just ok and we all love duck. Just was not that great. Than we received our dinner, 2 of us had the fillet and 1 the scallops and the other the 3 pork dinner. The fillets came out wrong, way over cooked. We ordered them rare, and black and blue. My DD who ordered hers black and blue came out rare, and she could live with it but mine came out medium, no where near rare. They did offer to take it back and get me another. The reason I hate this, is that everyone will be done with their dinner or close to when I get mine. But I did have them recook the steak, and of course everyone was done when it finally came out. My SIL scallops where way under cooked and my DH did not have enough.

So over all not a great experience. Watching the fireworks from our table was magical but the meal was not worth 2 dining credits. I know people will be upset with this, and to be honest this broke my heart. I have been going to CG since it was a dinner show. Loved it when it went to CG but this new change, well my family and I are not even sure we will give them a second try. That's how bad it was.

Laura
***Aug. 29 - Sept. 2, 2014 Port Orleans French Quarters***Sept. 12 - 21, 2014 Contemporary Club Level***Oct. 23 - 29, 2014 BoardWalk Inn Club Level***Dec. 10 - 15, 2014 BoardWalk Inn Club Level***Jan. 15 - 19th 2015 Disneyland Hotel Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend***Feb. 18 - 24th 2015 Contemporary Resort Princess Half Marathon Weekend***

All the Wonderful Places we have stayed
***Grand Floridian***Polynesian***Contemporary***BoardWalk Inn***Yacht Club***Beach Club***Wilderness Lodge***Disney Inn (now Shades of Green)***Port Orleans French Qtr.***Port Orleans Riverside***Dolphin***Swan***Pop Century***
snausman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #1340
budafam
DIS Veteran

The restaurant just reopened about a week ago. I'm glad we're not going till December so hopefully all the wrinkles will be ironed out by then.
DxDP 12/3/13-12/10/13
Upcoming Trips: 9/21-9/29 POR & 10/25-10/31 BWV 10/31-11/3 DREAM

budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #1341
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snausman View Post
I know people will be upset with me but this is my family opinion. W e ate at CG on Friday the 13th. LOVED what they did with the restaurant it is beautiful!

But the food was, well, just not that good at all. First not to wild about the selection of apps they had but we went with the duck in its glory and spicy roll. We loved the spicy K roll it was out of this world. The duck one was just ok and we all love duck. Just was not that great. Than we received our dinner, 2 of us had the fillet and 1 the scallops and the other the 3 pork dinner. The fillets came out wrong, way over cooked. We ordered them rare, and black and blue. My DD who ordered hers black and blue came out rare, and she could live with it but mine came out medium, no where near rare. They did offer to take it back and get me another. The reason I hate this, is that everyone will be done with their dinner or close to when I get mine. But I did have them recook the steak, and of course everyone was done when it finally came out. My SIL scallops where way under cooked and my DH did not have enough.

So over all not a great experience. Watching the fireworks from our table was magical but the meal was not worth 2 dining credits. I know people will be upset with this, and to be honest this broke my heart. I have been going to CG since it was a dinner show. Loved it when it went to CG but this new change, well my family and I are not even sure we will give them a second try. That's how bad it was.

Laura
sorry to hear about your experience. You seem to highlight some good and some not so good - do you think it was just that you had high expectations and were disappointed and that is why you may not go bad or was it really that bad.

Surprised to hear about the over-cooked steaks. One would think that a high-end restaurant - be it open a day or a decade - could cook steak properly.

One quick question, when you say the "3 pork dinner" was this the "Pork Two Ways - Grilled Tenderloin, Goat Cheese Polenta, Mushrooms, Lacquered Belly, Applesauce"? If so was it really that small? seemed like a normal portion in pictures I have seen and was planning to get this when I go next month so that is why I am checking on confirmation for this one )

**In Progress** Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Old 09-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #1342
snausman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
sorry to hear about your experience. You seem to highlight some good and some not so good - do you think it was just that you had high expectations and were disappointed and that is why you may not go bad or was it really that bad.

Surprised to hear about the over-cooked steaks. One would think that a high-end restaurant - be it open a day or a decade - could cook steak properly.

One quick question, when you say the "3 pork dinner" was this the "Pork Two Ways - Grilled Tenderloin, Goat Cheese Polenta, Mushrooms, Lacquered Belly, Applesauce"? If so was it really that small? seemed like a normal portion in pictures I have seen and was planning to get this when I go next month so that is why I am checking on confirmation for this one )
First, we were very surprised by our fillets being over cooked. Not to know how to cook a fillet at a 2 credit restaurant is terrible. This, really turned us off as we had dinner a couple of nights before at Citricos and our meal was perfect!!

And yes sorry, it was the pork two ways. It was not my meal so was not sure about the name. And yes it was that small. I would say each piece of meat was the size of a half dollar piece. My husband just looked at me when they sat his meal down. And then started to laugh. It was that small.

Again, this was our favorite restaurant to go to for over 35 years.

Laura
***Aug. 29 - Sept. 2, 2014 Port Orleans French Quarters***Sept. 12 - 21, 2014 Contemporary Club Level***Oct. 23 - 29, 2014 BoardWalk Inn Club Level***Dec. 10 - 15, 2014 BoardWalk Inn Club Level***Jan. 15 - 19th 2015 Disneyland Hotel Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend***Feb. 18 - 24th 2015 Contemporary Resort Princess Half Marathon Weekend***

***Grand Floridian***Polynesian***Contemporary***BoardWalk Inn***Yacht Club***Beach Club***Wilderness Lodge***Disney Inn (now Shades of Green)***Port Orleans French Qtr.***Port Orleans Riverside***Dolphin***Swan***Pop Century***
Old 09-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #1343
mickeymotto
Where in the "World" am I?

Quote:

Laura
Really bummed to hear about your experience at CG. It has been one of my favorites for years too. You are right about knowing how to cook a steak. You are paying a premium price for this food and would expect at the very least for it to be prepared properly.

We have scored one of the coveted ADRs for our upcoming trip and have already decided to stick with the sushi and desserts for our meal. I used to love their (5-6) scallops on the old menu, but I really can't justify $42 for 3 flipping scallops ANYWHERE!!! Seriously?! I can't help but think we are being taken advantage of with some of these "changes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafam View Post
The restaurant just reopened about a week ago. I'm glad we're not going till December so hopefully all the wrinkles will be ironed out by then.
I thought about this too...briefly. Then I decided, no way! They should already have their act together. (If not, why open?)This was a rehab of the restaurant, not the people. This is not a NEW dining experience, but should be an IMPROVED experience with the rehab, not a downgrade! There should be no kinks or learning curves here - maybe just shortcuts or shortcomings?

I still plan on going, but with limited expectations. As I mentioned, I will stick with the sushi I know is prepared well and we will try some new desserts; however I will miss the Chocolate Valrhona cake. No matter what, it is still one of the best seats in the house for the fireworks!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #1344
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snausman

First, we were very surprised by our fillets being over cooked. Not to know how to cook a fillet at a 2 credit restaurant is terrible. This, really turned us off as we had dinner a couple of nights before at Citricos and our meal was perfect!!

And yes sorry, it was the pork two ways. It was not my meal so was not sure about the name. And yes it was that small. I would say each piece of meat was the size of a half dollar piece. My husband just looked at me when they sat his meal down. And then started to laugh. It was that small.

Again, this was our favorite restaurant to go to for over 35 years.

Laura
Thanks for clarifying - probably just hoping for the best since this has been our favorite place as well.

And that does seem really, really small. Maybe just stick with sushi and flatbread when we go

Old 09-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #1345
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

The early reviews are making me second guess our ADR next month. If they need a while to get up to speed, they shouldn't be charging the high prices. In other words, I don't think people should be making excuses for the bad reviews. This is not a brand new restaurant with rookie chefs. It's a renovated restaurant with some of the best employees WDW has to offer. I've been disappointed in the dessert menu, since it was first posted. I was still holding out hope the desserts would be better than they sound. The early reviews are kind of dashing those hopes. I can deal with a mediocre appetizer or entrée, but the dessert needs to be outstanding. We'll hold onto the ADR awhile hoping things improve. If not, there are other places to dine that we know will be great. We can never fit everything in anyway.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #1346
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

I still have faith! Lol.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #1347
snausman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying - probably just hoping for the best since this has been our favorite place as well.

And that does seem really, really small. Maybe just stick with sushi and flatbread when we go
The sushi was very good, but not for 2 dining credit. I would pay for it using my TIW card, if I should ever go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
The early reviews are making me second guess our ADR next month. If they need a while to get up to speed, they shouldn't be charging the high prices. In other words, I don't think people should be making excuses for the bad reviews. This is not a brand new restaurant with rookie chefs. It's a renovated restaurant with some of the best employees WDW has to offer. I've been disappointed in the dessert menu, since it was first posted. I was still holding out hope the desserts would be better than they sound. The early reviews are kind of dashing those hopes. I can deal with a mediocre appetizer or entrée, but the dessert needs to be outstanding. We'll hold onto the ADR awhile hoping things improve. If not, there are other places to dine that we know will be great. We can never fit everything in anyway.
I am a dessert person also. This is how I judge a restaurant. The desserts were good, not great but just good.

Laura

Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #1348
2manypets
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Laura
DH & I went on the 10th and ordered a Spicy Kazan roll which was really good. For entree's we ordered the steak for DH and the Scallops for me. DH's steak was cooked to the correct temperature but it had absolutely no flavor, well it kind of tasted like liver. My scallops had so much grit in them they were inedible. I wasn't crazy about the menu to start with but had high hopes. We were very disappointed and most likely won't be back until they change the chef. The wait staff were superb though.
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #1349
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

What is going on?? I haven't seen a good review yet. I'm a little nervous. It's a lot of money to spend to not like the meal.

February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
ddluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #1350
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
What is going on?? I haven't seen a good review yet. I'm a little nervous. It's a lot of money to spend to not like the meal.

Same... we might do something else and just got cocktails/a spicy kazaan roll when the times comes and call it good.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: