Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #1291
SarahInMN
Really my username should be SarahInOR now

Quote:
This might be a bit of a controversial opinion - but CG was becoming more about the view for a lot of patrons and that isn't exactly the best way to generate revenue for a high end restaurant. Don't get me wrong, I don't think CG was suffering in any way but I did hear a lot of people saying "Let's go for dessert and Wishes". But I think they wanted to strongly identify as a signature restaurant - not just a restaurant with a great view. They want to attract patrons that want a fine dining experience.

I completely agree - this is why we usually eat at resorts not the parks because the resorts consistently have better food than park TS restaurants. CG was becoming, well, bland and predictable - we're really hoping that the new menu will change regularly and have unique items on it. It's not about the fireworks for us - it's great food, great wine, and great service.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #1292
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy2Disney View Post

Yes! Dallas to be exact!
Lol awesome. My buddy lives on the lake so we spend alot if time in Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanksgiving week at AKV's with my family and parents!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #1293
mystery222184
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahInMN View Post

I completely agree - this is why we usually eat at resorts not the parks because the resorts consistently have better food than park TS restaurants. CG was becoming, well, bland and predictable - we're really hoping that the new menu will change regularly and have unique items on it. It's not about the fireworks for us - it's great food, great wine, and great service.
While this will be my first time at CG, some of the menu changes are why I am finally trying it out. For example, the chicken dish seems to be paired with much better sides than before. The new appetizers and desserts look great. Some people love to complain when faced with change :/

Summer 1998: {Grand Floridian} ~ Summer 2001: {Polynesian CL} ~ Spring 2010: {Grand Floridian} ~ Summer 2010: {Grand Floridian} ~ Christmas 2012: {Polynesian CL} ~ Summer 2013: {Grand Floridian SL} ~ Christmas 2013: {Wilderness Lodge CL} ~ Summer 2014: {Polynesian CL} ~ Fall 2014: {Yacht Club CL/Grand Floridian RPC}
mystery222184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #1294
Eastern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUGuy View Post
I wanted more like 8:30, called in at 7 am, took 20 mins to get an agent so we're there at 9 pm. First, when should we arrive to see the show and what happens if we get called at exactly 9 or a few minutes before? What would you do? We've seen Wishes from Ohana several times, first time for CG.

Thanks,
Bill From PA
I would also keep checking for an earlier time. I think a lot of people probably made a few reservations at first and may cancel some. Especially as it gets closer to the actual dining date (they won't want to lose their deposits if they don't show up).
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #1295
PSUGuy
Bill From PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
Oh wow Nepa people. Very cool.

Sorry to be off topic but we are a small local area so seeing people from Nepa is kinda cool.

There are more of us here than you might think, and thanks to all for the valuable advice.

Bill From PA

PSUGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #1296
Abby's Dad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle_325 View Post
This might be a bit of a controversial opinion - but CG was becoming more about the view for a lot of patrons and that isn't exactly the best way to generate revenue for a high end restaurant. Don't get me wrong, I don't think CG was suffering in any way but I did hear a lot of people saying "Let's go for dessert and Wishes". But I think they wanted to strongly identify as a signature restaurant - not just a restaurant with a great view. They want to attract patrons that want a fine dining experience.
I agree with much of what you say - I love the service and food at CG, but I also enjoy the view. The new menu may be pointed towards eliminating those who just come for Wishes and desert, as the desert menu has definitely gone downhill, and is pretty everyday as far as I'm concerned.

As to fine dining establishments, Victoria and Al's is the only fine dining establishment on property. The "signature" restaurants are good restaurants, but they are still production restaurants, not fine dining. They offer very good dining, and excellent service for the most part, and an enjoyable evening. They are, for the most part, another level above the common chain restaurants, and I do enjoy them, and look forward to eating in several each trip (and truth be told, these are actually more to my taste - I am more comfortable here than at Vic & Al's, though V&As is an incredible experience). I just don't mistake them for fine dining.
WDW: October 1976 - Offsite, January 1979 - CR, September of 2007 - POFQ, Christmas 2011 - CR, MNSSHP and F&W - October 2012 - AKV, Flower & Garden - April 2013 - BLT, and MNSSHP and F&W - October 2013 - BLT (our DVC home resort) AKV-Kidani.
Abby's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #1297
jheltz27
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post

Could be a special event. They actually cancelled an ADR i had a few years back for a "special person" wanted the whole place.

I am fine with hosting a the restaurant, but don't allow ADR and then cancel them! I am still a bit miffed about that when I think on it! No apology , no offer to book another hard to get ADR....just " sorry, we have the Crystal palace if you want that!

True tale!
They are just toying with me now. I checked via MDE this AM and it showed up as an option for dinner on 12/2 but said "Call to Book". In my past experience this meant it could be booked online via the regular site, just not thru the MDE app due to the credit card reserve. Tried that and showed no availability at all. Agghh. There goes that plan for either CG or hoping that people with earlier Ohana ADRs would switch over to CG so I could pick those up. Who wants to eat dinner @ 9:45???

jheltz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #1298
Ana~n~Joseph
I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met Mickey for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheltz27 View Post
They are just toying with me now. I checked via MDE this AM and it showed up as an option for dinner on 12/2 but said "Call to Book". In my past experience this meant it could be booked online via the regular site, just not thru the MDE app due to the credit card reserve. Tried that and showed no availability at all. Agghh. There goes that plan for either CG or hoping that people with earlier Ohana ADRs would switch over to CG so I could pick those up. Who wants to eat dinner @ 9:45???

Same thing happened to me. Saw the "call to book" and got all sorts of excited and then..........nothing Ugh! Artist Point it is for us that night... really really wanted Cali Grill though. I'm having no luck with ADRs this year

Dec ‘95 – ASMusic; Dec ‘96 – ASMusic; Dec ‘97 – offsite; Dec ‘98 – ASMusic; Dec ‘99 ASMovies ; Aug ‘02 – ASMusic ; Jan ‘06 – CBR (Honeymoon); Sept ‘06 – Pop; Nov ‘06 – ASMusic; March ‘07 – POR; Sep ‘07 – Pop; Sept '07 - DLP; Feb ‘08 – Pop; Sept ‘08 – CSR; Jan ‘09 – Pop; Jan’ 09 – CR Club; March ‘10 – Boardwalk; Sept ‘10 – CSR; May ‘11 – CR; Sept '11 - AKL; Dec '11 - AKL Club; Dec '11 - Christmas Cruise - Disney Dream; September 2012 - AKL w/ BFF - November 2012 - Pop w/ DS + Mom & Disney Dream; April 2013 Disney Magic - Coming Up: October 2013 - AKL-Kidani - ToT 10 miler; Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2014 - Disney Dream & AKL/BWV; Aug 2014 - Disney Magic Med; Sept 2014 - BLT, AKL & Disney Dream w/ BFF; Jan 2015 - Pop Century; November 2015 - Wine & Dine Half; January 2016 - Disney Magic
Ana~n~Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #1299
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

If this has already been posted, I apologize, but I believe that someone asked about a soft opening. I did see THIS about a gathering on 9/8, but it filled to capacity very quickly after first being advertised yesterday.

Also, I will be canceling the following ADRs for 3 on 8/29, unless PM'd to coordinate:

CA GRILL: 12/23 @ 6:55

CA GRILL: 12/24 @ 7:00

CA GRILL: 12/25 @ 7:20

Don't worry, I'm keeping the first ADR of the day on Christmas
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #1300
Debijmk
Earning My Ears

Unfortunately, I had an unexpected hospitalization when ADR's opened so I am behind. If anyone who has dined at CG and viewed the fireworks could offer your opinion it would be greatly appreciated. I needed December 11th and ended up with two options: 5:25 and 9:10. Would I be better to go at 5:25 and go back with my receipt to view Wishes or take the 9:10 and try to work ordering, appetizers etc. around viewing Wishes? As a single mom just now being able to afford to take my adult children on a vacation, we are looking for a good meal and atmosphere, as well as the surprise treat of viewing Wishes. Of course, I plan to continue to check for cancellations to get a little better time but don't want to hold both of these spots when I can decide between the two and open one up for someone else. This thread has really been helpful even though I unexpectedly ended up a little behind. Thanks for your help!

Me DS-27 DS-26 DD-20

Debijmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #1301
SlightlyocdDisneyfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debijmk View Post
Unfortunately, I had an unexpected hospitalization when ADR's opened so I am behind. If anyone who has dined at CG and viewed the fireworks could offer your opinion it would be greatly appreciated. I needed December 11th and ended up with two options: 5:25 and 9:10. Would I be better to go at 5:25 and go back with my receipt to view Wishes or take the 9:10 and try to work ordering, appetizers etc. around viewing Wishes? As a single mom just now being able to afford to take my adult children on a vacation, we are looking for a good meal and atmosphere, as well as the surprise treat of viewing Wishes. Of course, I plan to continue to check for cancellations to get a little better time but don't want to hold both of these spots when I can decide between the two and open one up for someone else. This thread has really been helpful even though I unexpectedly ended up a little behind. Thanks for your help!
We have never had trouble eating during fireworks. Twice, our servers have held our meals to work around the show. I would make a point to mention that you want to see the fireworks and your server should help your dining experience smoothly fit around that.

Since your children are old enough to stay up late, the later reservation might be more relaxing and time-efficient than trying to squeeze in another activity between an earlier dining and fireworks. With the earlier dining, you would run the risk of getting caught up in something else and not returning for the show. At least that's what has happened to us!!

1995 - All Star Resort; 2000 - Dixie Landing; 2004 - Coronado Springs; 2007 - Polynesian; 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside; 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside; 2013 - Polynesian; 2015 - Planning for Aulani; Plus more trips to Disneyland than could be counted!!
SlightlyocdDisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #1302
Crew-JTA
Romans 8:28

Quote:

So sorry to hear about your hospitalization, but it sounds like you've got a great trip to look forward to.

I also have a ressie for Dec 11 :-).

Wishes is a 9:00 that night, so you'd have to get there early to watch and then be seated. If eating late in the evening isn't a problem for all of you, then it may just be a preference thing. Do you want to take a chunk of time to eat, leave, and come back later or do you want to get there before 9, watch the show, and order and eat pretty late?

Either way, I think you're right to check back for cancelations. And I've heard others mention to put in a specific time instead of just "dinner" when you're checking. Good luck! Maybe I'll see you there. We'll be the happy couple without a care in the world after getting married the day before :-)

Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #1303
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you don't mind eating late, I would take the 9:10 pm reservation. I would arrive early (8:40/8:45 pm), check-in and let them know you would like to view the fireworks prior to being seated. With a 9:10 pm ADR, chances are you won't be seated until after Wishes is over anyway. I would then watch the fireworks and sit down for your meal. Again, if you don't mind eating late, this could be a great scenario.

I personally would not want to eat at 5:25 pm, ending possibly at 7 pm only to have two hours to kill and then come all the way back to the restaurant.

Yes, keep trying for other times, but at this point, I personally would cancel the 5:25 pm
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #1304
gwany1999
Mouseketeer

I was able to get reservations for February for myself and my husband. Can't wait!
gwany1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #1305
Debijmk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyocdDisneyfan View Post
We have never had trouble eating during fireworks. Twice, our servers have held our meals to work around the show. I would make a point to mention that you want to see the fireworks and your server should help your dining experience smoothly fit around that.

Since your children are old enough to stay up late, the later reservation might be more relaxing and time-efficient than trying to squeeze in another activity between an earlier dining and fireworks. With the earlier dining, you would run the risk of getting caught up in something else and not returning for the show. At least that's what has happened to us!!
Thanks so much! I was hoping the servers would be willing to help make it a magical night. Glad to know they did for you

Me DS-27 DS-26 DD-20

Debijmk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: