Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #91
Luv'sTink
DIS Veteran

I would be fine with what you have. I wouldn't eat the beans because I hate them so don't be offended..lol

Years ago, I was invited to a friends friends house they served cherry pie, OMgosh I do not like cherry pie, but I somehow managed to stuff most of it down..lol

Another time a friend invited me to dinner she served spinach lasagna once again, I don't care for spinach, but I got it down with a lot of water. Later she said to me, you don't like spinach do you? lol Then come to find out she messed up the recipe because she doubled the amount of spinach!!
Luv'sTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #92
ford family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucifer View Post
I was a former vegetarian (for 10 years) who recently turned carnivore. I think your menu sounds filling and delicious and I wouldn't change a thing unless YOU felt comfortable doing so.
Unless you now eat exclusively meat then I believe the correct description for your current diet would be omnivore.

ford family
ford family is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #93
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
While I think your menu is fine (we eat meat, but not on a daily basis), I've never met a meat eater who doesn't eat chicken. It seems even the pickiest of the picky eats chicken. I have some kids who don't eat red meat of any kind, no pork, but will always eat the chicken.
YOu never met my dad. Drove my mom crazy. She loved chicken and he wouldn't touch the stuff, but he did love all other meat, but no chicken. It was strange.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #94
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettymae1121 View Post
If I had vegitarian or vegan friends I would not ever expect them to serve me meat in their home. I'd be totally fine with it.
But would you feel obligated to serve vegan to them if you were the host?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #95
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellone View Post
Also if someone isn't used to a lot of fiber too many beans may give them loose stools so they may think something was wrong with the food. Just a little warning.
Oh yes, you got that right. Beans sure as heck does a number on my body! I'd probably eat it, but not too much.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #96
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Excellent point. Hmmmm. Never thought about it that way. If i were the host, i'd serve vegetarian. MAYBE one meat dish. Maybe. But as a guest, I would have no problems eating vegetarian or vegan. Its easier to please a meat eater than a vegetarian I think? For obvious reasons of course.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #97
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think the difference is that some vegetarians are vegetarians for, not just dietary reasons, but also for ethical reasons. So, no, I would never expect (or want) a vegetarian to cook meat for me.

On the other hand, as a meat-eater, if I know a vegetarian is coming to my house, I'll try to have something available for them to eat.

Being a meat-eater doesn't prohibit me from eating a dish that doesn't have meat in it whereas being a vegetarian does prohibit the person from eating meat, & I think that's the difference.

For example, if a vegetarian is dining w/ us (& I know the person is a vegetarian), & I'm cooking something like pasta, I'll have 2 different sauces - a meat sauce & a non-meat/non-dairy sauce - in addition to having salad & bread. If we're grilling hot dogs & hamburgers, I'd also have maybe a pasta salad w/ a oil & vinegar based dressing & a salad with different dressings & toppings available. I might even slice up mushrooms for a topping!

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 12 years) (DS, 4 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #98
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

Quote:
My front door practically revolves with the amount of people in and out for dinners and weekend parties. If I'm hosting, I'm going to make food that everyone can eat whether that would be vegan, veggietarian or even diabetic. I have no problems doing such things.

When going over to others' houses, I will eat whatever is made simply because I don't follow a specific lifestyle. We eat meat in our house but it's a side item not the main course on the plate.

I find it is no different than when I go to someone's house who cooks in a manner that I don't. We ate dinner recently at a house, where basically was made from pre-packaged foods. We knew that before going to the house and made the choice. Most people know what they are going to be getting when going to someone else's home.

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #99
Gumbo4x4

I don't disagree with either of your replies, and it kind of brings us back to the top. OP is not a meat eater, but is trying to be a good host all the same, just as any of us would
Old 04-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #100
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I'm a meat eater and eat no meat meals all the time.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #101
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

We would be grateful for the invite and the food, and respect your choices. That being said, DH would probably not eat much and would go on to get something afterwards. He's just not someone who feels satisfied after most meatless meals, particularly mexican. So, if the possibility of that occurring doesn't bother you, then you should keep doing what you're doing.

However, I would say that if any member of your party doesn't seem to be eating much, I wouldn't question it. It may be difficult for you as a hostess, as I'm sure you want to make sure they're happy, but it is likely to just create an uncomfortable situation. For instance, DH's ex-stepdad used to make meals that were painfully hot. I mean, through the roof hot, all burn, little flavor. I had mentioned before (not at his dinners) that I couldn't eat too much hot food b/c it chewed my stomach up terribly. But he liked it that way, so that's how he made it. I would eat a little to be polite, and then stop. He was always offended that I didn't take seconds or eat more. I always tried to be nice and just say everything was great but that I was very full. But it wasn't enough. Similarly, an aunt in the family is the most gawdawful cook you've ever met. I don't mean bland, I don't mean unusual, I mean BAD. We will eat a little of everything to be polite, then claim to be full. But she just keeps pushing you to eateateat.

So in short, cook the meal you feel like making, but please don't question your guests if they don't eat much. It just makes everyone feel awkward.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #102
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I am sure it is very good, but how long did it take him to realize there wasn't meat in it? lol Just wondering.
He didn't notice at all! I told him after his second bowl I used TVP and it really fooled him, and usually it's hard to fool him. I also fooled him into thinking some stuffed shells I made were stuffed with ricotta. I didn't purposely trick him, I just didn't tell him it was tofu. All from a man who claimed to hate tofu
Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #103
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
I'm a meat eater and eat no meat meals all the time.
I think the question was less about a meatless meal than it was about OP's specific menu.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #104
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
He didn't notice at all! I told him after his second bowl I used TVP and it really fooled him, and usually it's hard to fool him. I also fooled him into thinking some stuffed shells I made were stuffed with ricotta. I didn't purposely trick him, I just didn't tell him it was tofu. All from a man who claimed to hate tofu
The few times I've had tofu, it was just plain nasty. I'm sure like most things, there are good versions and not so good versions. But I think I'd rather just eat veggies knowing they were veggies than to eat a meat substitute.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #105
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The few times I've had tofu, it was just plain nasty. I'm sure like most things, there are good versions and not so good versions. But I think I'd rather just eat veggies knowing they were veggies than to eat a meat substitute.
My DH felt the same way and refused to even try tofu when I cooked it. After I "tricked " him a few times he changed his attitude towards it. Like anything it you prepare it good it will taste good, if you prepare it badly it will taste badly. And no I wouldn't trick a guest in my home but I have no problem tricking my DH or the kids. My 6 year old LOVES tofu and requests it all the time, weird kid

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: