Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #76
kamik86
DIS Veteran

I would have no problem with your menu.

However my very picky husband would. He wouldn't complain just like he didn't at easter dinner the other night but he would eat very little and then make me stop for food on the way home. However this wouldn't be a meat or no meat problem just his annoying pickiness because easter dinner did have meat at it and more then enough food for all of those that aren't my husband to be happy.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #77
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

I wouldn't mind at all. Just cause I'm a meat eater, doesn't mean I eat it for lunch and dinner every single day.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #78
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
I wouldn't mind at all. Just cause I'm a meat eater, doesn't mean I eat it for lunch and dinner every single day.
Same here.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #79
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

As a host I always make sure that there are multiple options. If I was making this lunch, I would include at least one type of meat for those who would enjoy it. It is my job to make my guests comfortable.

As a guest I would not expect anything special nor would I ever say anything negative about what the host is serving.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #80
Janet Hill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I don't plan on having a heavy meal myself. It will be too early for me to pig out. I plan on making a Mexican salad. I will have a huge pile of lettuce, onions, mushrooms, and peppers, homemade tomato salsa, and a dollop of guacamole. I will add some beans to it. I'm not sure why vegetables with protein in the form of cheese and beans would cause your husband to become nauseous and take in too much insulin.
Cheese no problem. Beans lots of carbs and requires a lot of insulin. Onions and tomatoes moderately carbed. That said, he would just pick out what he could and leave the rest. He would not complain.

My husband has been a Type 1 for 40 years and he monitors very closely what he eats, but does not expect others to go out of way.
Janet Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #81
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

If I had vegitarian or vegan friends I would not ever expect them to serve me meat in their home. I'd be totally fine with it.

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #82
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Wouldn't bother me a bit, especially if it was DIY and I could leave off items I didn't like (I can't abide fungus, for instance ).

However, I was raised in the Seventh-day Adventist church (no longer a part of it at all) and they espouse vegetarianism. Even though my family always ate meat, I was quite used to church-sponsored events, dinner at friends' houses, etc being meatless. Not only can I eat it, I can cook it. DD18 has several vegetarian friends, and I never have a problem having meatless options for them when they eat here.

That said, there are several grain-based meat replacement products on the market that IMHO are pretty tasty. Maybe you could cook up one of the "hamburger-style" ones with some taco seasoning as well?

"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #83
hucifer
The tag that was here was staler than 3 yr old bread crumbs
The Van Halen song "Running with the Devil" was about my parakeet!
Smell anything? It's just my sauerkraut

I was a former vegetarian (for 10 years) who recently turned carnivore. I think your menu sounds filling and delicious and I wouldn't change a thing unless YOU felt comfortable doing so.
hucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #84
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

Your menu sounds delicious! I wouldn't miss the meat one bit!

We met some vegan friends for lunch while on vacation last summer, and they suggested their favorite vegan restaurant. We agreed, but I honestly thought to myself, "Oh, great. Sounds like I'll have to stop and get some lunch after we're finished with lunch!"...Because I didn't expect to find anything good on the menu. I was pleasantly surprised (and FULL!)
Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #85
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?

It would be courteous for you to provide for your meat eating guests.

If you choose not to, it would be courteous for you to inform your guests of the menu so that they can make their own accomodations.

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

====================================
DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #86
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I've never met a meat eater who doesn't eat chicken. It seems even the pickiest of the picky eats chicken. I have some kids who don't eat red meat of any kind, no pork, but will always eat the chicken.
I never voluntarily eat chicken - especially chicken breast. Can't stand wings.

I love my beef and pork, but I eat a lot of vegetarian meals. And a lot of bean/pea (field, cream, black eyed) meals with meat only as flavoring.

I would never expect a vegetarian to serve meat in their home. If they feel very strongly about it that would be similar to asking someone who keeps a kosher home to serve pork products.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #87
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

I already posted that I would happily eat what's on your menu, but I do agree with this part of DizBelle's post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
it would be courteous for you to inform your guests of the menu so that they can make their own accomodations.
If you suspect that "no meat" will be a surprise, or a problem, for any of your guests, you could always give them a polite heads-up. If everyone knows you're vegetarian, I don't think they'll expect meat, but since you haven't seen some of them for a while, they might not know or might have forgotten.

I like it when my host gives me a heads-up for the menu. That way, if I'm not sure I'll like what they're serving I can eat a little snack before I go or something like that. I would never expect my host to change her menu, but I do appreciate knowing *if* food will be served and, in general, what sort. "Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday for vegetarian tacos and margaritas!" would be fantastic.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #88
ellone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post

LOL I have heard this from a lot of people who don't eat beans regularly. We eat a lot of beans so we are used to them and it doesn't "affect" us.
Also if someone isn't used to a lot of fiber too many beans may give them loose stools so they may think something was wrong with the food. Just a little warning.
ellone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #89
Sam81
Mouseketeer

I haven't read the entire thread, but OP have you considered soup?
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #90
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Wendy,
I've noticed mushrooms are a thing for some people. It seems to be something people love or hate. I am going to use big slices of portabellas so people can easily pick around them if they want.

My absolute favorite website is http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/ I've yet to make a bad recipe from there.

This refried bean soup recipe is SO GOOD and quick.
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/03...bean-soup.html

The tortilla soup is another one I am considering, but we just had it a few nights ago!
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/02...nto-beans.html

Look around the website. Use the search engine and put in an ingredient you like and something will likely pop up.
Thanks so much for posting the website! I looked around on it & ended up bookmarking it. There were plenty of recipes w/o mushrooms! And I pinned on my Pinterest boards the recipe for Pinto Bean Tortilla Soup & couple of other recipes too.

When I go out to restaurants, it seems the vegetarian dish always has mushrooms in it. If you look at the vegetarian dishes at most of the Disney restaurants, there are mushrooms!

I'm halfway interested in pursuing a vegetarian diet, but I'm still not sure I could give up bacon & steak - chicken no problem! And I've been worried about all those mushrooms! LOL! I don't mind the flavor of mushrooms (like mushroom sauces), I just don't like the actual mushrooms. If I can pick around them, I'm good.

As an aside, I think mushrooms are used a lot in vegetarian dishes because they're a good meat (protein) substitute, right? DH is very high protein/low processed carbs (carbs from fruits & veggies are fine, w/ the exception of white potatoes) w/ his diet. I try to eat that way as well, but DH says I don't get enough protein which is why I stay hungry. (I could give up meat if not for bacon!) He also thinks I could never be a vegetarian because I would never get enough protein since I don't like enough of the meat (protein) substitutes - like mushrooms or tofu. Peanut butter would be my protein! LOL! Sorry to go off topic!

Anyway, back to the original topic - Again, I would really be looking forward to your menu! I think you have plenty of options, &, add in some margaritas, & I'll be happy, happy, happy!

DH & I are always excited to try different things & new-to-us cuisine. While your menu isn't really a new flavor profile to us, the vegetarian aspect is, & we'd have fun!

I'm sure you know your friends & your friends know you & know you're a vegetarian. Like I said earlier, I would never expect a vegetarian to cook meat for me & wouldn't want them to.

And I've never understood the attitude or expectations of people who seem to think that a host or hostess should provide their guests w/ absolutely every option under the sun. I laugh when someone posts something like, "I'm having a BBQ. Does my menu look okay?" And the poor poster will get all kinds of replies - "I don't eat chicken" "I'm allergic to tomatoes" "That's too many carbs" "My kids would have nothing to eat" "My husband doesn't eat any fruits or veggies" "I don't eat red meat"

As a guest, I am visiting a home - not a restaurant. And, while there are some things I don't like eating or can't eat, I can always find something. And it never offends me if the host/ess hasn't thought of my likes/dislikes or restrictions. I get migraines from MSG and from most pizza (I can only really eat homemade pizza), so if we're invited to a pizza party, I don't eat the pizza. However, there's normally something else there to munch on, & I'm fine. In addition to mushrooms, I don't like mayo, so, if something has mayo in it, I just skip it & find something else. Not a problem! My "absolutely no mayo ever" issue is my issue - not yours!

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 5 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: