Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
superme80
DIS Veteran

When I was eating vegetarian for awhile I made black bean quesidillas and black bean nachos another night. DH loved both so much he STILL request them
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceila View Post
Do non-meat-eaters really assume that meat-eaters must and do have meat at every meal? I can't figure out why this is even a question. I eat just about anything, but not all at once!
Have you ever read the Dis after a holiday or birthday party? Two threads really stick out to me. The cake versus pie at a birthday and how many people would be ticked if they didn't get their cake. Or the one where the mom was going to serve turkey sandwiches and people were flat out telling her their kids would have to go hungry because they will only eat ham. On top of that, there are countless threads after the holiday on how horrible the dinner was because Aunt Mabel didn't serve homemade mac n cheese or grandma used canned beans instead of fresh. Pages and pages and pages of complaints about foods served at different events has caused me to become a bit anal on this topic. I want my guests to be happy. I know a taco without meat is a big thing for some people. I just wanted to make sure that most wouldn't care for one meal.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

I honestly don't know any meat eater that has to have meat with every meal. You certainly have a great variety of things that anyone could find something to enjoy.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Have you ever read the Dis after a holiday or birthday party? Two threads really stick out to me. The cake versus pie at a birthday and how many people would be ticked if they didn't get their cake. Or the one where the mom was going to serve turkey sandwiches and people were flat out telling her their kids would have to go hungry because they will only eat ham. On top of that, there are countless threads after the holiday on how horrible the dinner was because Aunt Mabel didn't serve homemade mac n cheese or grandma used canned beans instead of fresh. Pages and pages and pages of complaints about foods served at different events has caused me to become a bit anal on this topic. I want my guests to be happy. I know a taco without meat is a big thing for some people. I just wanted to make sure that most wouldn't care for one meal.
You are right.

If someone said they were having a taco bar and only serving Beef, someone would chime in with "but what about people who only eat chicken?"

If it were me, I would serve some meat with it as well. I think it would be appreciated by some.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #20
Tazicket
I routinely walk into 1 certain wall at home
Loved by a Pirate Penguin
ACK! I wouldn't ever eat a Mystery Peep!! That's crazy!

I'd be fine. What you're serving sounds yummy.

If a friend invited me to dinner and I knew they did not eat meat, I would not expect them to prepare it for me. I'd honestly be surprised to be served meat in that situation.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

1. I am a meat-eater.
2. A Die-hard meat-eater.
3. I would really enjoy your lunch as it is as it has beans in it.

It isn't so much the meat, it is the need for protein for me. I would love to be invited over!

I would NEVER expect any of my plant-based eatin' friends to serve meat and it would not even cross my mind to think, "Gah, she's NOT serving meat!"
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #22
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post
You are right.

If someone said they were having a taco bar and only serving Beef, someone would chime in with "but what about people who only eat chicken?"

If it were me, I would serve some meat with it as well. I think it would be appreciated by some.
If they are an ethical vegetarian it goes against all their principles. I would just serve what you were planning. If they want meat they hit taco bell on the way home.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Im a meat eater and I would have absolutely NO issue with your lunch. First, when Im invited to lunch, Im grateful for anything and second, your menu sounds yummy!
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #24
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by superme80 View Post
If they are an ethical vegetarian it goes against all their principles. I would just serve what you were planning. If they want meat they hit taco bell on the way home.
My SIL is a vegetarian for ethical reasons. She always cooks meat for company. She cooked a delicious turkey and ham dinner for Easter! No, not every vegetarian feels that way.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #25
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

I'd be fine with it, especially since you are providing cheese. I'd be more disappointed if you had meat but no cheese . I'd be thinking to myself, "I wish we'd volunteered to bring the grated cheddar." I always think the same thing when we go to a cookout and there's no cheese for the burgers.

We have some friends who make a really good vegetarian enchilada dish with so much stuff in them that it's hard to tell that there's no meat in it. It's delicious, and I need to get that recipe from them. It may have cheese in it; I can't remember.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #26
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
I'd be fine with it, especially since you are providing cheese. I'd be more disappointed if you had meat but no cheese . I'd be thinking to myself, "I wish we'd volunteered to bring the grated cheddar." I always think the same thing when we go to a cookout and there's no cheese for the burgers.

We have some friends who make a really good vegetarian enchilada dish with so much stuff in them that it's hard to tell that there's no meat in it. It's delicious, and I need to get that recipe from them. It may have cheese in it; I can't remember.
Please share when you get it! I love enchiladas!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
Jaya
DIS Veteran

I'm a confirmed meat-eater but we often have vegetarian tacos. In fact, I almost prefer them without meat. Everyone will be just fine.
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #28
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

I would be fine with it...it sounds really good to me. My DH and Kids would like it too....but I know some folks who would not be very thrilled with it (like our folks...but they also wouldn't be too thrilled with any Mexican meal, even with meat).
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #29
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

My DH doesn't eat beans or most vegetables, so it would be a lunch of chips & salsa for him.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #30
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

If we're going to one of our vegetarian friends houses, we know we are eating meatless.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: