Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
LisaR

Would meat eaters be content with a meatless lunch?

I have some company coming for lunch. We are plant based eaters and they aren't.

I plan on making Mexican. There will be DIY tacos, burritos, and nachos. I bought cheese and sour cream for them. I will have Spanish rice, black beans, roasted corn, olives, lettuce, guacamole, sauteed mushrooms, onions, and peppers, homemade chunky tomato salsa plus jarred salsa. In addition, I will have Gazpacho soup and either chili or another Mexican soup.

So if you are a meat eater, are you going to be really disappointed if you have Mexican without meat or will you be content for the one meal? As a plant based eater, I couldn't have "just one meal" with meat so I don't want to assume they would be fine with a meatless meal. If I ask, they will say "whatever" because nobody ever wants to tell the host the truth in situations like this. While I wouldn't be thrilled cooking ground beef, I'd do it if most felt it would be a disappointing meal without it.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

If someone invites me for a meal, I am grateful for the invite. Meatless lunch is fine. They do know you don't eat meat, right?
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

If they are guests in your home they should be gracious & grateful for whatever is put out for them.

If they know you are veg/vegan/meatless I can't imagine they would expect you to do anything else.

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I have some company coming for lunch. We are plant based eaters and they aren't.

I plan on making Mexican. There will be DIY tacos, burritos, and nachos. I bought cheese and sour cream for them. I will have Spanish rice, black beans, roasted corn, olives, lettuce, guacamole, sauteed mushrooms, onions, and peppers, homemade chunky tomato salsa plus jarred salsa. In addition, I will have Gazpacho soup and either chili or another Mexican soup.

So if you are a meat eater, are you going to be really disappointed if you have Mexican without meat or will you be content for the one meal? As a plant based eater, I couldn't have "just one meal" with meat so I don't want to assume they would be fine with a meatless meal. If I ask, they will say "whatever" because nobody ever wants to tell the host the truth in situations like this. While I wouldn't be thrilled cooking ground beef, I'd do it if most felt it would be a disappointing meal without it.
No meat is fine, but I hope there are margaritas!
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
No meat is fine, but I hope there are margaritas!
Duh! That was a given!

They do know we do not eat meat, by the way.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

As another poster said, if you're inviting me for lunch, I'd be eternally grateful and happy enough. That said, in all honesty, I would be missing the meat in my tacos or burritos (I'm fine with meatless nachos).

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Your menu sounds delicious and satisfying. Yum!
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Anyone can get along without eating meat at one meal. Don't do something you'd prefer not to do. Now if you were planning a fancy sit-down meal for a wedding reception, people might feel otherwise, but for a lunch with friends? It sounds yummy (and if they miss meat, they can stop at McDonald's on the way home).

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

If I'm eating at someone else's house, I eat what they serve without complaining about it. Vegan, kosher, gluten free - whatever. If people don't like it they can eat again later. I'm not big on traditional manners but this seems like common sense to me.

Plus, that sounds like an awesome meal anyhow.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

That sounds delicious. I don't think you'd have to worry. I don't think many meat-eaters are as adamant about eating meat with every meal as those who don't eat meat are adamant against eating it.

I served basically the same meal to my parents when they were up and they enjoyed it, but my mom did make a comment that "she didn't really even mind not having meat."

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

I am an avowed meat eater, but I wouldn't bat an eye at a meatless meal with friends. In fact, any meal that I don't have to cook is fine with me
Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Do non-meat-eaters really assume that meat-eaters must and do have meat at every meal? I can't figure out why this is even a question. I eat just about anything, but not all at once!
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
superme80
DIS Veteran

Only my dad would give me a hard time cause well...he's my dad! Your meal sounds yummy!
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
daisymomof4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post

I'll be right there! Sounds delish!

When I go through my meatless phases (one day I'll be able to stick to it, lol), my DH, aka Mr. Meatandpotatoes, is thrilled with meals like the one you are making.

I bet your friends will leave the house with full, satisfied tummies. Enjoy the time with them.
daisymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I'd eat it, but I'd be stopping at the drive thru on the way home. Mexican isn't something I as a meat eater ever eat meatless unless I just stuff myself on chips and salsa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: