Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinPA View Post
Ok- that picture is what I was afraid of...hoping there is plenty to do besides the pool!
I haven't sailed on the Fantasy yet, we are booked for next May. We did do 5 nights on the Dream and I decided that I hated sea days. We had one day at sea and honestly it was miserable on the pool deck. Keep in mind that this was in June. The ship was not moving or if it was it wasn't very much. We did not even try the pools/aqua duck because it was so crowded so we decided to try golf. With no breeze at all this proved to be a bad idea. We chose instead to go to a towel folding class and to do the midship detective agency. When we were deciding between the eastern or western Carribbean for next year a big part of our decision was based on sea days. The western has less so thats what we went with.

I am not trying to deter you from cruising on the Fantasy at all, I intend to sail her and enjoy every minute of it. In hind sight, I'm sure there were tons of other things to keep us busy but my 2 boys were upset that they couldn't get in the pool and just wasn't interested in the Lab, so our options seemed very limited.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
luvslikepi
DIS Veteran

I've been on two Carnival cruises with the same insane pool issues. This isn't a Disney specific issue from my experience. It is a cruise line issue writ large.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
luvslikepi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
uziel5000
Mouseketeer

We were on the Fantasy in November and we stayed on the ship while it was in Grand Cayman. We did a ton of stuff and had a blast! Our two sea days were really great too. The problem is that there really is not enough time to do all the stuff that's scheduled. Cruise ships in general and DCL in particular are very good at having a good range of activities, especially during sea days.

Two things though: a) Our cruise was the week right after Thanksgiving and I don't how busy/not busy that particular time is. b) The only time the ship felt crowded was during the Princess Gathering. With three little princesses this was a must do for us and, apparently, most of the rest of the ship. The line lasted forever but it was worth it. All six princesses (Snow White, Cinderella, Tiana, Aurora, Belle, Ariel) treated our daughters like... well, you know.

On November 24, 2012, the Pink Elephants were on Parade in the Caribbean
uziel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
ses1230
DIS Veteran

The water looks ankle deep and then the Mickey face and ears are deeper, is that right? The website says it is 2 feet deep but it looks deeper than that.

That looks really crowded - my kids are really expecting to swim but that pic is making me nervous. Is the kids pool on the Wonder the same?

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #20
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
The water looks ankle deep and then the Mickey face and ears are deeper, is that right? The website says it is 2 feet deep but it looks deeper than that.

That looks really crowded - my kids are really expecting to swim but that pic is making me nervous. Is the kids pool on the Wonder the same?
I don't know about the Wonder, but I could have taken this picture on the Dream 2 weeks ago.
We have a deposit on a dummy date right now, but I'm honestly thinking of asking for a refund. We have cruised Norwegian 3 times, twice starting Jan 1 and the last time was over New Year's Eve, and NEVER seen pools that look like this.
Don't take your eyes off your kids, or get in with them and keep scanning your environment.
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230

No but that's probably only because I sailed during off peak times and one trip was a 2 week one. Just less kids.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #22
RRZJ
Earning My Ears

We too just got off the Fantasy and that picture looks like what the pools looked like BUT 1) only at high peak times (think sea days around 11), and 2) although it looks crazy busy in the picture it really never felt super crowded (and we are very picky about that sort of thing). True, you can't swim laps, but there is plenty of space because people are constantly getting in and out of the pools to do slides, hot tub, eat lunch, see characters, play bingo, go to the movies, etc., etc. we have 2 DDs under 6 and never felt that using the pools and slides all day was a problem. It really looks worse than it is.
RRZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
DinoRex
Earning My Ears

While the fantasy is a larger ship than the magic (and wonder), there is more than enough to do. I did not find the 'crowds' to be a problem. The only issue would be the number of chairs near the pool. On occasion, It can be hard to find an open seat in the family area.
DinoRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #24
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinPA View Post
Ok- that picture is what I was afraid of...hoping there is plenty to do besides the pool!
complaining about crowded pools on a cruise ship is like complaining about hot weather in the carribean/bahamas from May-through-September....there's plenty to do on the ship and the crowding at the pool comes and goes...

the aqua lab is a blast and a great place to cool off for both parents and kids...there's mini-golf, basketball, ping pong, the clubs....
Old 04-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #25
mamabear0222
Countdown to 2014 trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14
Does the below picture look enjoyable?
That is one TINY pool wow

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards
Old 04-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #26
sgtbob1
Earning My Ears

How about the adult pool area and the aquaduck?

How about the adult pool area and the aquaduck on the fantasy? Are they crwoded? We're going at the end of August.

Last edited by sgtbob1; 04-02-2013 at 09:54 PM.
sgtbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #27
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

The picture looks far less crowded then the family pool I saw on the Dream. It was hard to see water in that pool

Last edited by OrangeCountyCommuter; 04-01-2013 at 11:52 PM.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #28
nurse2011
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbob1 View Post
How about the adult pool area and the aquaduck on the fantasy? Are they crwoded? We're going at the end of August.
The adult pool & satellite falls were never crowded. The adult hot tubs did get really full though. The aquaduck had long lines sometimes. There is an estimated wait time posted.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #29
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I've been looking at Fantasy pool pictures on the web. Are my eyes deceiving me or is the Mickey pool smaller on the new ships? Also, there's no Goofy pool? It's a Donald pool instead? Is that smaller than the Goofy pool on the classics?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #30
sgtbob1
Earning My Ears

Thank you.
sgtbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: