Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
DJinPA
Earning My Ears

Is the Fantasy too crowded/crazy to enjoy on sea days?

I have cruised on the Magic and absolutely loved it, although I admit I thought the pools were a bit crowded. We are contemplating a trip on the Fantasy and I have to admit, with all this talk about how crazy the pools are, and how many do not follow the rules, I wonder how enjoyable the sea days are on the Fantasy? If you avoid the pools the better portion of the day, what else is there to do? Is there enough to keep DS (9) and DS (12) really engaged?
Thanks for you input!
DJinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
TheWalsh
Earning My Ears

The clubs have lots of fun activities, there is the photo scavenger hunt,may could see a movie, take a tour of the ship. There is tons of stuff to do. But do avoid the pool
TheWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
klepton
Mouseketeer

I'm guessing it won't be as big a hit on the second cruise, but our first DCL cruise on the Magic we spent a fair amount of time on sea days getting pictures with characters. The photo ops are pretty much non-stop, once you finish one you go around and get in line for another...

Kids clubs have all kinds of activities... There are movies in the theater. They usually do a 2:00 Matinee of the show for that evening. There's Bingo, trivia, boardgames, etc.

We only got in the pools one time during our 4 sea days, and didn't stay long. Aside from the pure grossness I felt in the water, and the fact DD couldn't keep her mouth closed, it was just unsafe with all the kids running/jumping/horsing around. One kid, probably 10 or 11 and about 140lbs attempted a belly flop and landed right on top of me. Now I'm a big guy, so the kid took the brunt of the damage from his ill-advised flop. I'm just glad it wasn't DD or another poor kid underneath him.

I guess what I'm saying is, even without enjoying the pools we were never board on the Magic. We booked the Fantasy for next year, I'm guessing there will be even more to do there.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Honestly I never really noticed crowds on our cruise. It was a spring break cruise on the Fantasy so it was packed. Even the pool deck never seemed over crowded to me. Maybe that was because it wasn't summer and wasn't super hot but it never felt crowded. Maybe I just hit the timing right?

My kids are younger 3 and 7 so I'm sure there is a difference there.

I took a very relaxed approach to things on the cruise. We did what we wanted. There were lots of things we didn't have enough time to do.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

There's a ton of family activities scheduled through out the day too. We really enjoyed the animation classes. All of these are listed in the daily navigators and they break them down based on family, kids only, adults only etc.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

We just got off the Fantasy on Saturday, and I had worried about this a bit as well since ours was a sold out spring break cruise. We had a blast on all 3 of our sea days! Yes, the pool deck and the deck overlooking the pool deck were crowded, but not to the point that it bothered us. My DD, who can be timid around crowds of other kids, spent a lot of time in the Donald pool. Because she is almost 10 and a good swimmer, I was more-or-less okay with her being in there -- and either myself or DH was watching her at all times. She mostly stayed at the very front or along the side and watched whatever was on the Funnel Vision. There was a lot of saving of lounge chairs, but we never had a problem getting 2 together (we typically only get 2 as it is rare for all 3 of us to be in the chairs at the same time). My husband would go straight from breakfast to deck 12 and get 2 chairs. DD and I would go back to the room, put on our swimsuits and apply sunscreen, and then meet him on deck.

As others have said, there are plenty of other things to do onboard besides swimming and lounging on the pool decks. There is Goofy's sports deck, the arcade, and tons of scheduled activities for all ages. We are pool/lounge chair people on vacation, though, and we really didn't have any problems.

One tip if you're considering the Eastern itinerary: During the first half of the day in San Juan, the ship was a complete ghost town. Perfect day to utilize the pools and Aquaduck! You could spend a couple of hours onboard in the morning and still have time to see the forts since they're so close to port. There may be a day like that on the Western as well, but I don't have experience with that itinerary.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014

Last edited by Lisa Lisa; 04-01-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Of the 3 sea days on our Eastern Caribbean cruise, we never felt it was too crowded to enjoy the pool area. Yes, at times it was hard to find a pool chair, but DH always ended up finding us 2 chairs so we could watch the kids. In the Donald Pool I felt a little nervous because it was pretty crowded but my kids were okay and went down the kid slide about 40 times per day each! A bartender told my husband the ship was about 85% full so if that means anything in relation to the crowd-levels
Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
DJinPA
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your responses!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We also just got off the 3/23/13 Fantasy and never experienced crowds like I expected since it was during spring break. The 3rd sea day was deserted and there was never a line for the Aquaduck. DH and I both had no problem finding chairs on the sea days around 9/9:30 in the morning. I didn't find MK crowded the Thursday before our cruise either. According to the count in the galley, the ship was just under 3800 guests for our cruise.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
mlayton14
Mouseketeer

Does the below picture look enjoyable?

Last edited by mlayton14; 04-01-2013 at 09:33 PM.
mlayton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post

This is exactly what the pools looked like on our 5 night cruise on the Dream last year. My children got so upset because I would not let them in the pool at peak times, but it just seemed dangerous with all those people stuffed into the those tiny pools. They were able to play in them a little on one of our port days, but that was it. Luckily, the mickey slide never had a very long line.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14
What time of year was this taken?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
DJinPA
Earning My Ears

Ok- that picture is what I was afraid of...hoping there is plenty to do besides the pool!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
mlayton14
Mouseketeer

I honestly don't know, But As you can see from the photo all it takes is 25 kids and a few adults from a ship of 3-4,000 guests to look like that which means certain chaos at pretty much any time of year. i still can't get over the design decision made here and then to put BOTH pools sharing the same seating areas .. I hope someone got fired or prosecuted for that design.
mlayton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I've only been on the Wonder in the off season. Had no pool issues. I'm on the Fantasy the first week of Jan. I hope it isn't too bad!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: