Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
disney david
DIS Veteran

It could be since the dog looks like being a seeing eye dog the person would need a gac any way to get front row for shows and other things so that why hey used a gac for picture.

I mean Ko offense by this post and do not want to offend anyone so sorry if I did ahead of time.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
utterrandomness
Mouseketeer

I can't connect to the linked page. It's saying 404 not found...
utterrandomness is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
LisaBi
DIS Veteran

As far as the un-service dogs.....I always thought a service dog had to have an official vest or such, and certified papers? Is that not the case? Couldn't a business ask for proof that the dog is a registered service dog? I would hate to see people claiming their pets as service dogs to start making life even harder for those who have a need a true service dog.

I don't have a service dog, but did have one that started life as a service dog. As soon as she became our pet, she had no privileges....she was JUST a pet...and rightfully so.
LisaBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #19
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBi View Post
As far as the un-service dogs.....I always thought a service dog had to have an official vest or such, and certified papers? Is that not the case? Couldn't a business ask for proof that the dog is a registered service dog? I would hate to see people claiming their pets as service dogs to start making life even harder for those who have a need a true service dog.

I don't have a service dog, but did have one that started life as a service dog. As soon as she became our pet, she had no privileges....she was JUST a pet...and rightfully so.
Not to encourage it but their a website (amazon) you can buy a vest and patches on so you could buy it and put it on any dog then you look like you have a service dog. I don't support that just saying it to why just going by vest won't work. While true service dogs wear them and are doing a true benefit to their person they work with so it sad how any one would try to pass off their house hold pet as a service dog just be able to bring them to Disney or to bring them into a store. Most states it against health codes to bring the dog into the store that why they only allow service dogs.

Last edited by disney david; 04-02-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #20
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by utterrandomness View Post
I can't connect to the linked page. It's saying 404 not found...
It may have been temporarily unavailable. I was just able to use the link from a computer that had not been or before and I also accessed it with my iPhone. Both loaded the whole page very quickly.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #21
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

Sue will provide the laws I'm sure, but no there is not registration, no certification and vest or harness, nothing is required by law to have a service dog. An owner of the business can ask, is that a service animal, and what service does he do, if a person does not know, you can say anything and that is all they can ask.the problem is, the owner asks, but are afraid to say no, what if it is a service animal and a law suit accors,but then again I would say we already live in a country that 2/3 of service dogs are not true service dogs not by definition. I went to a school in ny, 28 days to get my guide dog, paid nothing, others have to train dog the self, I don't want to take that away from them, since mine is free and mine is well trained by experts but it does leave a huge mess for those who do not really have service dogs. What made it worse was when a federal agency HUD declared that federally a companion dog is to be treated the same in a rental, meaning no security deposits and only a doctors note was needed to prove that an elderly or disabled needed a companion. If you ask these elderly or disabled they will tell you there dog is a service animal, but by law they are not.

Honestly it is a mess. Blind since the age of four, had a dog now almost 9 years, the first time I was asked what service my dog does, I went dumb, could not answer. I spit out he is my eyes, no that is not a service, I really had to think, he now she gets me form point a to point b safely, she leads me around tree branches, she stops me before I fall off curbs or walks into traffic, but in reality, I lead her, she won't move unless commanded to, she won't step in the street even if clear until I tell her to. But she is disobedient in a situation when I give her a command and she sees danger. The new hybrid cars have no sound, if I tell her to walk and she sees a car in the road she will disobey me even if I get demanding and correct her.

Disney has lots and lots of people claiming service dogs that are unservicea dogs. So doesn't home deposit and Walmart and the public bus system.

Disabled have not fought it because we do not want to take away the service of free dogs to those disabilities that need them. My school now does autism dogs, but you have to live within 2 hours because the training is so different, but at least it is free. My school also has buddy dogs, dogs for children who are blind and not old enough for a dog but know they want one as an adult. They learn what it is like to have a two year old tied to your ankle your whole life, I love my dog but really that is what he is a two year old except when working and boy to keep him happy I have to walk, 3.7 miles every other day, and still she can not do Disney.

Your turn sue, I don't have the whole law.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

LOL
Here is a link to the Revised ADA information page about Service Animals.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
scojos
I want to be Tinkerbell and fly on the wire to start wishes
Thinks Disney studies should be taught in all schools

i dont know your laws (im from the UK) but just wanted to add we brought a bassett hound for my autistic son and he was used as a PAT dog and had an amazing effect on my sons behaviour (he has hfasd).
8 years later when we go to the mall here alot of dogs are "paraded" using high viz jackets or puppy in training leads. The majority (i would guess from their behaviour) are just pets that do not want to be left home alone. the problem of "fake" dogs is everywhere.
A canadian friend has trained her husky to aid her with her fibromyalgia (i have this illness too) and she does take him everywhere with her.. but she will call and check if its ok in restaurants etc or send someone into a shop to check if they object to him... he is not a registered service dog, and some people do say no (one small boutique as her daughter was allergic to dogs... but said she could ask someone to hold the dog while she looked?? sounded reasonable to me, and thats what we did. but our uk laws are different (obviously )
i do agree however a certificate should be required to label a dog a "service dog" whatever service is provided and like a driving license should be delivered when asked for examination
xx
2010 - 2 weeks SSR free DDP 1 week creekside villa
2013- 2 weeks okw free ddp[/SIZE]
me dh ds1 ds2dd
scojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #24
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmt View Post
Any idea why the trainer, or person ( I assume trainer) is holding what looks like a GAC card and what words are on it?

Also, this is new, but it says nothing about the kennels that we heard talked about recently, any thoughts?
Not addressed, but seems unlikely based on "Cast Members are not allowed to care for or take control of service animals at any time", and "a member of the party must remain with the service animal at all times".
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #25
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Not addressed, but seems unlikely based on "Cast Members are not allowed to care for or take control of service animals at any time", and "a member of the party must remain with the service animal at all times".
Yes.
And, the website does state that very clearly.

The person in the pictures on the website is the same person in each picture. It appears she is supposed to be the guest who is using the Service Dog.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

After zooming in on the GAC in the photo ( curiosity got the best of me) I could not read the wording, but it does not appear to have the place for stamps instead it is preprinted. It could be that they have made a GAC with service dog info, such as the rules that are posted on the site. The GAC was used as prop in the photo and i have never seen Disney "advertise" the card like that before so this particular card may be service dog specific, but I guess we will only know for sure when someone post first hand knowledge.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #27
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

It's my understanding it's a special card that you would get if you have a service animal that might need to use a kennel. When shown to a CM they will then call a coordinator to handle the kennel use. The front line CMs do not do it themselves.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

Thanks I am curious about the card. I may have the answers next month if no one else does, but then again I am still trying to figure out if my dog comes or stays or spends lots of time in the main kennels and little time with us.

Funny that the new web site says nothing about the kennels or the GAC card the person is holding. The update the web right after a policy change and do not include the new policies?
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #29
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks I am curious about the card. I may have the answers next month if no one else does, but then again I am still trying to figure out if my dog comes or stays or spends lots of time in the main kennels and little time with us.

Funny that the new web site says nothing about the kennels or the GAC card the person is holding. The update the web right after a policy change and do not include the new policies?
I don't think you need a gac it just might be they used the same person for the photo shoot and when they put the dog in they didn't have he Put the card down. Or as a pp said it could just be a tip sheet or since your need a gac to sit closer to the show or other things they felt to use it in the photo. So have fun and let us know how it went.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I get my information from my daughter who works and trains in attractions that have the kennels and that don't. She trained someone on this as recently as a couple of weeks ago. The Disney web pages are often not up to date.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: