Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
ruckelc
Earning My Ears

Running during the CP

Can anyone tell me if there are any good places to run near the apartment complexes at Disney? I really want to keep in shape to run some of the half marathons that take place on property but I don't know of any areas to run other than the resorts. How safe are the roads near the apartments because I would really like to avoid the treadmill.
ruckelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
pipermae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckelc View Post
Can anyone tell me if there are any good places to run near the apartment complexes at Disney? I really want to keep in shape to run some of the half marathons that take place on property but I don't know of any areas to run other than the resorts. How safe are the roads near the apartments because I would really like to avoid the treadmill.
I don't know much about Vista Way (except they're in a super busy section - so be EXTRA careful around there) but Patterson & Chatham are in pretty safe areas. Just stay on the sidewalks. And there's a 4-way stop that a lot of people ignore, so watch out for that. Another suggestion I have, though it requires driving somewhere, is going to the hotels to run. It would be a nice change of scenery anyway

http://www.disneyrunning.com/wdwtrails.html

I'm planning on doing either the Food & Wine half or the half in January down there. I did the half in January 2012 and it was a LOT of fun!
May&June 2010 - POP w/ new friends!
March 2011 - All Star Sports to celebrate our engagement!
August 2011 thru January 2012 - Disney College Program, Attractions Hostess at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
January 2012 to January 2013 - Seasonal Cast Member at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (visited in June and October in 2012)
March 2013 - Married at Disney World on 03-13-13!
Fall 2013 DCP - Attractions (Location: Sum of All Thrills)
pipermae is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
ruckelc
Earning My Ears

Yeah I plan on probably going to the Boardwalk area on off days to run because I have always wanted to run from Epcot to the Studios and back but I was hoping that wouldn't be my only route.
ruckelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
RogerRadcliffe
Imagineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckelc View Post
Yeah I plan on probably going to the Boardwalk area on off days to run because I have always wanted to run from Epcot to the Studios and back but I was hoping that wouldn't be my only route.
The resorts are usually your best bet as there's lots of walking paths, especially with the value resorts as there's tons to see.

There's also the possibility of running the Showcase, but that would probably freak a few people out.

Have a Magical Day!

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
―Walt Disney
RogerRadcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
uttom300
CP Alum

The resorts are great for running, lots of trails and pathways to run on. But to be honest the apartments are large enough that you can get all your running in there. You will have no problem finding excellent areas to run at.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
jmclaugh
Earning My Ears

I lived at Vista, so I would run around the complex. It was pretty nice and a good amount of shade even when I ran later in the day. A loop around the complex was approximately one mile.

When I wanted distance I would run from Vista to Patterson and back. It's about a mile to Little Lake Bryan, 2 miles inside passing both Chatham and Patterson and back out, then another mile back to Vista, so 4 miles total. The mile to Little Lake Bryan can be really sunny, so you'll definitely want to save that for mornings. When I'm training for half marathons, I'd do the trip to Patterson and back twice and then run just outside of Vista Way (near the Vistana resort--nice and shady!) until I had finished the mileage I wanted.

My favorite resorts to run at are Boardwalk and Coronado springs! Swan and Dolphin are also really nice to add onto a run at the Boardwalk (very shady). I love running the resorts!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: