Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
sahlink
DIS Veteran

What night for palo?

I've never been on a Disney cruise before. One of the things I want to do on our cruise is to dine at Palo. But.... I have no idea what night to do it or what regular dining to skip. Never being on a Disney cruise means I don't want to miss on a fun experiance though. Can any help or explain how you decide?

Kids Disney Activity Book: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1722545 OR
Kids Disney Journal: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1724999
sahlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The first thing we need to know to make a recommendation is the itinerary and ship you are cruising on. Each has its own rotation schedule.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
sahlink
DIS Veteran

Ahhh... OK, sorry.
We will be doing the Fantasy, Feb1, Western.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahlink View Post
I've never been on a Disney cruise before. One of the things I want to do on our cruise is to dine at Palo. But.... I have no idea what night to do it or what regular dining to skip. Never being on a Disney cruise means I don't want to miss on a fun experiance though. Can any help or explain how you decide?
Do some research on the various onboard restaurants and their menus--you should be able to find some threads with fairly current ones. That will give you an idea of what to expect. Of further consideration is the ship upon which you'll be sailing. For example, Artist Palette on the Magic and Wonder is a more unique experience than the same restaurant on the Dream and Fantasy, so you might want to keep that in the rotation. Finally, you don't mention if the family is going, but Palo is an adults only option--no one under 18 allowed. All things being equal, though, any night is an good night to experience Palo.

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

We like to go on Pirate Night because the menu in the main dining rooms that night is our least favorite. Also, if you book the 6 p.m. dinner in Palo you should be finished in time for the Pirates' Party up on deck.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
We like to go on Pirate Night because the menu in the main dining rooms that night is our least favorite. Also, if you book the 6 p.m. dinner in Palo you should be finished in time for the Pirates' Party up on deck.
We do this as well except we book a later meal so we can miss all the Pirate stuff. Yeah, we are kind of over the pirate business.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25
... For example, Artist Palette on the Magic and Wonder is a more unique experience than the same restaurant on the Dream and Fantasy...
Just to help avoid confusion since the OP is new to DCL, the dining room is called: "Animator's Palate."

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

OP honestly any night at Palo is a good night for dinner. We've dined at Palo probably 8 or 9 times on different nights, and can truly say no one night was better than another. My DW likes pirate night for Palo, because she not crazy about the MDR menu, but others love pirate night. I suppose, we wouldn't do the last night of the cruise, as it's just to crazy with packing etc. and we like to take our time in Palo or Remy. But that's just my 2cents.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
Just to help avoid confusion since the OP is new to DCL, the dining room is called: "Animator's Palate."

- Dreams
Excellent catch!

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
sahlink
DIS Veteran

SO... what do they do in the main dining room on pirate night??

Also, out of the three main dining rooms... which one would you not mind missing?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahlink View Post
SO... what do they do in the main dining room on pirate night??

Also, out of the three main dining rooms... which one would you not mind missing?
The waiters dress in pirate garb, and lots of passengers. sometimes they have bandanas for all the passengers, or the banadanas are delivered to the staterooms. Varies from cruise to cruise.

On the classic ships, that's about it. On the Fantasy (and I think the Dream) if you're in Animator's Palate on Pirate Night they show video clips of Disney pirate movies.

most of the action on pirate night is up on deck. You might have a photo op with Pirate Mickey in the atrium before the pirate party starts.

If you have to miss a main dining room on the classic ships, I'd choose Parrot Cay. On the Fantasy I wouldn't want to miss any of them.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #12
garcia2000
Earning My Ears

This is what we did.... We made palo reservations early since we had the late seating for dinner our daughter played in the clubs then when it was her dinner time we all went to dinner and told our sever we had already eaten at palo so she served us coffee and tea while our daughter enjoyed her dinner. Our table mates did it the next night.
garcia2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #13
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

We had Palo reservations last year on our 5 night DD Dream cruise, but ended up canceling. You don't find our your dining rotation until embarkation day, so it's hard to plan ahead. We enjoyed the MDR's and didn't want to miss any of the experiences. Even though you will eat in each MDR twice on the Fantasy (and one 3 times), it's a different experience and menu each time. For our upcoming Fantasy cruise, we are doing Palo brunch so we don't miss any MDR nights.
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

Palo has a lovely brunch on Sea Days, if that might be an option. We actually prefer to do the brunch over dinner at Palo.
I would NOT miss the 2nd night in Animators, but if you are traveling without children, I could skip the 1st night there, as I find the Crush show a bit annoying and really LOUD for a dining room.
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
Do some research on the various onboard restaurants and their menus--you should be able to find some threads with fairly current ones. That will give you an idea of what to expect. Of further consideration is the ship upon which you'll be sailing. For example, Artist Palette on the Magic and Wonder is a more unique experience than the same restaurant on the Dream and Fantasy, so you might want to keep that in the rotation. Finally, you don't mention if the family is going, but Palo is an adults only option--no one under 18 allowed. All things being equal, though, any night is an good night to experience Palo.

It's actually Animator's Palate on the Magic and Wonder as well. Or, as of January this past year it was

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: