Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
garcia2000
Earning My Ears

1 year old 7 night cruise

We are taking our second cruise but first with our Ds who will be 1 at the time of cruise (4months now). What things should I pack? And are the baby travel packages worth it or should I just pack that stuff?
garcia2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

DCL will provide a pack n play and diaper genie for your stateroom. They also have strollers available on board.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

It will be less expensive to bring the baby stuff you need vs babies travel lite but that is if you can get it in your bags. If you have to fly and pay for baggage it might not be less expensive.

We took a cruise when my daughter was 10 months old. She was still breast feeding at the time but was eating table foods. We flew and rented a car so I did have our carseat with us. We went to the grocery store and picked up a package of diapers after we got there. I could have just as easily have packed them and then had that room for souvineers on the way back.

We didn't have to deal with bottles and formula. I did bring my breast pump with me because I needed to pump to keep up my pumping stash supply. That was an issue with me and being at the end of the year and needing to be able to pump when I got back to keep enough milk for the day. That is neither here nor there though.

Other than some applesauces and gold fish that I picked up at the grocery store, she ate food from the dining rooms with no problem. If we were feeding her baby food I might have changed my opinion.

They provided teh pack n play for the room so I didn't have to bring that. I had a baby carrier that I used around the ship but did have a single umbrella stroller to use if needed.

We had a lot of fun traveling at that age.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
FloridaNative8
Mouseketeer

We just cruised on the Fantasy with our 16 month old. DCL provided the pack-n-play and diaper genie, we packed our diapers and wipes (we drove, and also used them to cushion our FE gifts!). The Babies Travel Lite seemed like a good idea, until I saw how much they charge for GROUND shipping! But, as a PP stated, it may make sense if you're flying and don't want to pay for an extra bag. However, we did use the leftover space for souvenirs!

Unless your child needs specific food items, they'll have everything you need! We asked for crackers one night at the beginning of dinner to tide DS over until his food arrived, and every night after that there was a bowl of crackers waiting for us

If it happens that you forget something, or run out of anything, you can always buy it in port and take it back to the ship with you.

We also brought our own stroller (Chicco Liteway) that stowed easily under the bed, and took it everywhere! The MDR staff always had a little place we could tuck it away during dinner.

Hope that helps! Have a great time cruising with your little one!

WDW - Too many visits to count!
AOA - Jan 2013 CBR - Nov 2013 POR - Jan 2014 POP - Feb 2014, Oct 2014 YC - Jan 2015
Disney Fantasy - EC, March 2013
W&D Half - 2010, 2013
Donald Half - 2013
Minnie 10K - 2014
WDW Marathon - 2014
Glass Slipper Challenge - 2014
Goofy Challenge - 2015
FloridaNative8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

I always recommend taking any over the counter medications that you could imagine your child might need. Talk with your child's Dr about what is appropriate in case of allergic reaction, fever, digestive issues, ect. Write down the dosages for any medications that you bring. You can likely get most anything that you need while onboard, but it may require a trip to the Infirmary (& extra charge). Also the last thing you want is to have an uncomfortable child at 3am and not know how much medicine they should get.

We cruised for my son's 1st & 2nd birthdays and having everything ready & available has come in handy both times.

You will know so much more about what your child's need are shortly before you cruise. Don't forget any lovies your LO might have or special snacks/toys/videos/ect that might help in case of toddler meltdown.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
garcia2000
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the info!!!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
LasseKjus
Mouseketeer

The only thing I'd like to add is about diapers. If you bring your own, make sure you bring PLENTY. Us adults tend to go to the bathroom more on cruises since we're drinking more, and so do kids. A small package didn't make it the 7 days for us once and we ended up having to go to K-mart in St. Thomas to avoid paying the ship's super high prices.

But we've cruised with our kids when they were infants. (My youngest did his third cruise at 13 months). Kids at that age are very adaptable. We found that they slept a lot. Best sleep they ever had, I think.

We never did the pack and play either. When they were super young, we brought a portable bassinet and just put that on the floor next to the bed. When they were a little older, we just co-slept for the week.

Now, my kids at 9, 7 and 4 are veterans. We leave tomorrow on the Magic for my 9 year olds 13th voyage (I have very generous in-laws). They will all be in the same room with us, of course. But they are such veterans, on our last cruise at Christmas, we traveled with extended family. To make it work stateroom wise, we ended up with an 18-year old family member in a room across the hall from us with our two oldest girls. By the end of the cruise, our youngest (the boy) made his way in their room and we ended up with a room to ourselves for a couple of days!
LasseKjus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
LasseKjus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
I always recommend taking any over the counter medications that you could imagine your child might need. Talk with your child's Dr about what is appropriate in case of allergic reaction, fever, digestive issues, ect. Write down the dosages for any medications that you bring. You can likely get most anything that you need while onboard, but it may require a trip to the Infirmary (& extra charge). Also the last thing you want is to have an uncomfortable child at 3am and not know how much medicine they should get.

We cruised for my son's 1st & 2nd birthdays and having everything ready & available has come in handy both times.

You will know so much more about what your child's need are shortly before you cruise. Don't forget any lovies your LO might have or special snacks/toys/videos/ect that might help in case of toddler meltdown.
Oh yes, also a very good tip, regarding medicine. We take a veritable medicine chest with us from cough strips to allergy medicine to swimmers ear meds.
LasseKjus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
mommaof1
Earning My Ears

baby

I also was curious about this! I found the bringing our own stuff is cheaper than baby lite.. like.. WAY cheaper!
mommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Don't forget wipes. I was supposed to buy wipes before we got on the ship. I forgot. The little small 30 count travel wipes were I think around $3.00 for what normally costs $.99.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
garcia2000
Earning My Ears

Do you have to request the diaper genie?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: