Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #241
crafty91
DIS Veteran

"prayers are meaningless"? I'm sure you deserved to have your earlier post deleted by the Mods. I'm not sure you could be more insensitive to those of who do have a belief system founded in faith. We pray for the family because its something ACTIVE that we can do. You talk about "action" in your post and prayer IS action to me and millions of others. So in effect you're just telling the family to suck it up because prayer won't help? I hope both your post and this one are deleted as being useless.
Magic March 2010
Wonder March 2011 Mexican Riviera
Fantasy Maiden Voyage March 2012
Fantasy Western July 2012
Fantasy Western March Spring Break 2013
Fantasy March 2014 Western Caribbean
Magic Mediterranean July 2014 (Became Platinum!)

NEXT: Fantasy Eastern March Spring Break 2015
crafty91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #242
snelsonbrown
"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." R.L. Stevenson

DISboards Approved Advertiser

I still believe in miracles and still believe that Chase the Warrior is going to come out of this regardless whatever is said....Just keep the faith and keep the prayers going for this family...
Always in my thoughts and always in my prayers...
In God's time and not ours
Much love goes with you chase and keeping a fighting trooper
Hugsssssssssssssss
email [/email] snelsonbrown@aol.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/PerfectGiftCapeCanaveral

http://www.facebook.com/#!/DISWelcomeCenter

CLICK AT THE LINK FOR INFORMATION ON CAPE CANAVERAL AND COCOA BEACH THREAD.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520273

CLICK HERE FOR THE LINK ON GIFT BASKETS BY SHIRLEY

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1723220
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Deals: Treat yourself to a sweet deal on popular laptops!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Deals: Treat yourself to a sweet deal on popular laptops!

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!
snelsonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #243
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty91 View Post
"prayers are meaningless"? I'm sure you deserved to have your earlier post deleted by the Mods. I'm not sure you could be more insensitive to those of who do have a belief system founded in faith. We pray for the family because its something ACTIVE that we can do. You talk about "action" in your post and prayer IS action to me and millions of others. So in effect you're just telling the family to suck it up because prayer won't help? I hope both your post and this one are deleted as being useless.

you want respect for your views then you have to respect others. Not attack because you don't like them....
OrangeCountyCommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #244
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Quote:
I don't think that my particular thoughts or attitude has any effect on this family's outcome. I do think that the discussion we are having can have positive impacts on our own lives and those around us, in terms of lessons that we can learn so that this does not happen to us or those around us.
I agree 100%. I hope that if nothing else good comes out of this situation maybe we'll all have a reminder to keep en eye on our children and each others children. It takes a village after all.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #245
quickcat
Mouseketeer

I am following this thread and love the updates. I cry with some and smile with the hope that comes with some too.

Please lets keep on track and not start in on who is 'right' on how to send positive thoughts to the family.
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #246
crafty91
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
you want respect for your views then you have to respect others. Not attack because you don't like them....
I'm not the one asking for "respect for my views", I could careless what anyone thinks about my faith. I'm responding to the attack on those of us who want to be active in the way we know how.
Magic March 2010
Wonder March 2011 Mexican Riviera
Fantasy Maiden Voyage March 2012
Fantasy Western July 2012
Fantasy Western March Spring Break 2013
Fantasy March 2014 Western Caribbean
Magic Mediterranean July 2014 (Became Platinum!)

NEXT: Fantasy Eastern March Spring Break 2015
crafty91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #247
DJinPA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Yes!
DJinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #248
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

I'll just jump in here with what *I* am thinking....

There is something positive that has come out of this tragedy and that is a change in my attitude. Both of our girls are skilled, strong swimmers. When we are at swimming pools at resorts, water parks, or public pools, my actions as a Mom have been a bit lax. I figure "they know how to swim, there are people everywhere, they will be FINE" and they are at an age when I don't feel like I need to watch them every minute. My DH on the other hand, is much more cautious and prefers to watch them more closely around water. And, if I was totally honest, I think I've given him and eye-roll or two when he has suggested we watch our girls closer. That has all changed. Because of precious Chase, I now KNOW what can happen. I will be watching our girls intently from here on out.

Like so many, I am SHOCKED there are no lifeguards. How can this be? I would think Disney would have an across the board policy on lifeguards. Some of the very best lifeguarding I have ever seen has been at the Contemporary Resort and at Disney's Grand Californian. At the Contemporary, those lifeguards were watching kiddos closer than hawks and one even went in after a little guy when he didn't like the way the child appeared after bobbing up after going down the slide. I even wrote a letter afterwards to the Contemporary's GM letting her know what a fine job her lifeguards are doing out at the pool. At the GCH, the lifeguards are constantly counting and watching and when they do a shift change they go through this pointing procedure of the kids in the water at the time so that they "transfer" the responsibility onto the new guard.

I realize not everyone is a praying person, but I am and have been praying for Chase and his family. I cannot even imagine how the joy of their family's cruise turned to tragedy and what they are going through now. It breaks my heart.

Hugs to all.
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #249
sherilynn
Mouseketeer

I haven't seen anyone pushing their personal religious views on anyone else. Many of us are believers and we have seen what the power of prayer can do. We are all free to believe, or not, and we are also free to just skim by comments we don't happen to agree with.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #250
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

I pray for this little boy and his family. They need support to not feel alone and have the strength to care for their children.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #251
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

Here's my thing- there have been numerous threads out there on what DCL should do, how people should watch their children at pools, swim safety, etc.

This thread was started to remove the controversy that comes with those topics and focus on praying, hoping, supporting in whatever way you chose for the family and the little boy. There are other threads to learn from, share opinions, judge, etc, but this thread was to focus not on an abstract idea but the fact that a tiny child's life has been changed forever.

We don't know if the parents or family are following this. The link was shared with them. They are real people and they are fighting every minute to get through the toughest thing that a parent can endure. You are entitled to differ in your opinion, but show some empathy and maybe move those opinions to the other 5 threads.
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #252
ktmo
Mouseketeer

I am also using this as a life lesson, so hopefully I can learn and grow as a parent. My girls are also "strong swimmer" and I was very lax on our cruise less then a month ago. They went back and forth between the Mickey and Donald pool and I watched from a distance. I don't think I would do that now. We have a pool and I have turned away and done other things while they swim. That has changed. I will pay more attention. I am also signing up for a CPR/first aid class.

I also think that we as parents need to watch for others. Scan the pools, even if we see our child safely swimming, scan the bottom. Keep an eye out for everyone. If we all did this, we may be able to help and hopefully this tragic accident won't happen again.

Having a pool, I have learned that if a child is missing, the first place to look is the pool. I learned that years ago and it will always be my first stop.

I know that I can't say that this couldn't have happened to me, because I know that it could have easily been my child. And that is why this story has shaken me and I know that because of Chase my life has changed.
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
March 2013 - 4 nights on the Dream
October 2013 - Art of Animation
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #253
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ View Post
I'll just jump in here with what *I* am thinking....

There is something positive that has come out of this tragedy and that is a change in my attitude. Both of our girls are skilled, strong swimmers. When we are at swimming pools at resorts, water parks, or public pools, my actions as a Mom have been a bit lax. I figure "they know how to swim, there are people everywhere, they will be FINE" and they are at an age when I don't feel like I need to watch them every minute. My DH on the other hand, is much more cautious and prefers to watch them more closely around water. And, if I was totally honest, I think I've given him and eye-roll or two when he has suggested we watch our girls closer. That has all changed. Because of precious Chase, I now KNOW what can happen. I will be watching our girls intently from here on out.

I realize not everyone is a praying person, but I am and have been praying for Chase and his family. I cannot even imagine how the joy of their family's cruise turned to tragedy and what they are going through now. It breaks my heart.

Hugs to all.
Yes - us too. I was one who let DD roam around Deck 11 as long as she told me where she was going to. I prefer to sit in the shade. Usually we are right where the Mickey slide lets off just past the rope & we can see there, the hot tub & Mickey pool (although there is a row of chairs in front of us, I can pick out DD in her bright rash guard). She has to tell us if she's going to the Donald pool, Nemo's, etc. (No Aquaduck or lab without us); basically what area I can find her in and she is good about this. DH & I have already told her no more. She needs to be accompanied by a parent to go to the Donald pool. Period. She is 6 & can swim and I was not really concerned.

My how that has changed..........

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #254
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmo View Post
I also think that we as parents need to watch for others. Scan the pools, even if we see our child safely swimming, scan the bottom. Keep an eye out for everyone. If we all did this, we may be able to help and hopefully this tragic accident won't happen again.

Having a pool, I have learned that if a child is missing, the first place to look is the pool. I learned that years ago and it will always be my first stop.

I know that I can't say that this couldn't have happened to me, because I know that it could have easily been my child. And that is why this story has shaken me and I know that because of Chase my life has changed.
This too. I will certainly be on the lookout for others in the pools. We too have a pool and a fence and an alarm on the lanai door. I was relieved once DD could swim and I didn't have to be as worried.

I have only had to do CPR in 2 codes at work. I always hope that I never ever have to use it. I too will be extra watchful at the pools. I certainly will not be parenting other kids, but you can bet I'll be especially watching some of the small ones!!

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #255
wwwosie
Mom by Day - Disney Freak by Night

This thread is not about what is meaningless to any of US. I know that in times of distress, sadness and sorrow, it's nice to know that someone else is thinking about us in their own personal way, whether it is through prayer, a donation, sharing the story or maybe even doing something silly to make us smile. Kindness has many faces. I think about little Chase every day, and now that I know he has older siblings, I think about them too because they are young, and they probably don't fully understand what happened or what lies ahead. Please keep this in mind, it's not about any of us, this is about the Lykken family.
wwwosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: