Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #151
Melissa R
Jamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Room
The events involving this child on the Fantasy are certainly tragic and likely permanent; however, criticizing the parents or Disney appears misguided. Try Googling "near drowning" and you will see that this is not a parental problem or a Disney problem - it is actually a very common occurrence and, unfortunately, it is devastating and simply an accident that occurs everywhere - all across the country, in ponds, pools, lakes and ditches.

Prevention and education of (young) children appears to be the only way to prevent it - teaching them to respect water and stay away without adult supervision. Since it can occur so quickly and involve as little as one aspiration of liquid (one breath), life guards cannot even prevent its occurrence with any certainty.
I see the point you're trying to make, but I think that prevention and education is not always enough. Just as a good swimmer can get caught in a rip current at a beach and end up in trouble, I think the point people are raising here is that the pools get very crowded, there are a lot of distractions, and that it seems like there may be a need for some type of change to prevent another accident. The very best swimmer in the world who is being watched by a parent is still going to get injured if someone jumps into an overcrowded pool and lands on your neck.

My son was in the pool that moment when Chase was pulled out. I was sitting on the edge with my feet in the water. I was within reach of my son (10 yrs old) but there was one time that he was trying to get back to the edge of the pool and it was so crowded that he couldn't get to the edge. He is a swimmer so he could handle it, but I could see where a less able swimmer could have gotten into trouble because getting to the edge of the pool was a challenge.
Melissa R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #152
Empress Room
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa R View Post
The very best swimmer in the world who is being watched by a parent is still going to get injured if someone jumps into an overcrowded pool and lands on your neck.

My son was in the pool that moment when Chase was pulled out. I was sitting on the edge with my feet in the water.
Is that what happened in this case (if you know)? Did another child jump onto Chase's neck? I had not heard the details. If so, that would be the place to start if one is placing blame on someone or something.

Although you can argue that one drowning/near drowning is one too many, the reality is that Disney has been running its pools the same way on its cruise lines since 1998, servicing hundreds of thousands of guests during those 15 years and this is the first such incident of which I am aware. Accidents unfortunately happen in our imperfect world, from car and plane crashes to slips and falls. It isn't necessarily an indicator that the way things are being done need to change or are inherently unsafe. My own personal observations concerning the pools on all DCL (and other) cruise ships is that, although they are crowded at times, they are no more or less dangerous than any pool on land.
Empress Room is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #153
Melissa R
Jamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Room

Is that what happened in this case (if you know)? Did another child jump onto Chase's neck? I had not heard the details. If so, that would be the place to start if one is placing blame on someone or something..
No, I'm not saying that's what happened. I'm just saying that there are some things that could happen that even being the best swimmer with a parent watching can't prevent.

And I agree that this is an unusual situation that happened after 15 years of Disney cruises. I'm in NO way blaming Disney. I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just saying that there were things that I observed that were less than safe, and after what happened, it made me think more about the safety of the pools.

Personally I think that parents of the kids at the pool could sometimes do a bit more to make sure that their kids are behaving carefully, but that's just my opinion - and is just generally speaking, not referring to this accident in any way whatsoever.

Last edited by Melissa R; 04-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #154
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

So that this Thread doesn't get deleted - bringing it back on topic:

Before the MRI results are posted, everyone who has been praying for a Miracle needs to remember there have already been a few:
~ a young person, enjoying his time in the Donald pool, noticed Chase and rather than going into shock, had the presence of mind to alert an adult
~ the immediate responders knew to clear his lungs and begin CPR to bring him back to life by restoring oxygen to his brain
~ it happened at Port Canaveral where he was transferred to Arnold Palmer for top-notch care.

The Candle Lighting for Chase will be held again tonight. Please join in!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #155
Melissa R
Jamz

MRI results are posted on Caring Bridge. Oh, how I had hoped that they would get better news. But how exciting that they get to go home today!!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #156
alexandlillie
Mouseketeer

They posted the MRI results on Caringbridge. Not sure that I completely understand but it does seem like widespread brain damage. They didn't say much if anything about prognosis.

they are headed home today...small blessings.
alexandlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #157
alexandlillie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Room View Post
My own personal observations concerning the pools on all DCL (and other) cruise ships is that, although they are crowded at times, they are no more or less dangerous than any pool on land.
Reasonable people can agree to disagree.
alexandlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #158
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

I'm glad to see he will be heading home. They are taking him to a great hospital here in MN. I personally have been there many times and only had great care.

I still hold out some hope for the little guy. I have a family friend that lost about 40% of his brain function due to a snowmobile accident. They said he would never talk, walk and etc.... He proved them all wrong... He may not 100% same he was before the accident but hold down a good job and even has his own family now....
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #159
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

A very sad report today. I know these parents are surviving by trying to stay positive and upbeat, the reality is just too hard to bear otherwise. What a nightmare the past 10 days has been for them. They are going to need a lot of support when they get home.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #160
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

Gosh - how horrible.
Prognosis sounds grim.
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #161
tinkerbellybutton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemieu1 View Post
I still hold out some hope for the little guy. I have a family friend that lost about 40% of his brain function due to a snowmobile accident. They said he would never talk, walk and etc.... He proved them all wrong... He may not 100% same he was before the accident but hold down a good job and even has his own family now....
I know someone with a similar story. He was injured in a car accident and was told he'd never walk or talk again. He doesn't hold a job, he got an extremely generous settlement from the accident. However, he has a great life and a beautiful family. He is now married has 3 beautiful children. He will never be the same, he walks with a limp and has very slurred speech, and lots of stuttering, but over all he's had a wonderful, fulfilling life.

I wish Chase the same great future despite the odds stacked against him at this time. Continued prayers for him and his family, and safe travels home!

Up Next:????
Resorts we've stayed in: ASMox3, ASSp., ASMu, PC, CBRx3, CSR, PORx2, POFQ, WLx6, Poly, BC, YC, BWV, AKL(Jambo)x2, AKL (Kidani), SSR, OKW, SOGx2, Swan, Vero Beach!
tinkerbellybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #162
Kittylover513
Mouseketeer

Unfortunately anoxic brain injuries (like chase has) have less chance of recovery than a traumatic brain injury from an accident. In those cases there is a lot of swelling and once the swelling is reduced there can be increased function as the brain heals. In an anoxic brain injury there wouldn't be swelling, nothing really to heal, just dead brain tissue. Very sad...
Kittylover513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #163
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittylover513 View Post
Unfortunately anoxic brain injuries (like chase has) have less chance of recovery than a traumatic brain injury from an accident. In those cases there is a lot of swelling and once the swelling is reduced there can be increased function as the brain heals. In an anoxic brain injury there wouldn't be swelling, nothing really to heal, just dead brain tissue. Very sad...
Sadly that could be true but my buddy truely has 40% of his brain completely inactive to this day. I've seen the MRI/CT(not being a doctor know which one it was) video. His might have been an odd case he lost the majority of inner brain function via the scan. His body somehow rerouted that function to the outer brain which is the part I thought would have been more injured.

God bless the little fighter.
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #164
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

I would not want to give people false hope. What these parents received today was a grave report. It would take a true miracle to bring this little boy back. Do I believe in miracles, you bet I do. But barring that, I do believe this boy has a very rocky, uncertain future. So very sad for his family .
Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #165
LimoFam5
DIS Veteran

Location: Los Alamitos (Rossmoor), but most of the time we are at Disneyland.

So sad... This family will remain in my heart and prayers. Can not imagine going from a happy time like a family Disney cruise to this.... So sad and just goes to show that you have to love and appreciate your family and your health everyday cause u r never promised tomorrow
LimoFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: