Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #91
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomader View Post
I'm glad the retail stores were closed. I worked 17 years at Kohls and I was glad we closed on Easter. We could spend time with our families. If a store closes two times out of the year I say that is not to bad. People can still eat so everyone will survive. Hospitals are open,gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores. I think we are in good shape. The way this country is headed it's only a matter of time before stores will be open on Christmas and Easter.
Considering the fact that our country is filled with people of all different religions and not just Christians, that would not be a bad thing.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #92
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Considering the fact that our country is filled with people of all different religions and not just Christians, that would not be a bad thing.
Either that, or close on all the holy days of all faiths.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #93
Tomader
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The problem is I'm old school. I liked that we were not living and breathing for the almighty dollar. You still have 363 days to get what you need. If we close under the name of Christmas or Easter don't fix it because it's not broke. It's worked for a long time. I would also like to go back to when stores were closed on Sundays. I guess I'm really dreaming.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #94
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

There are some malls near me in Toronto that are open on Christmas day and they are always PACKED! Crazy busy. I haven't been but I've heard about it and seen it on the news.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #95
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The problem is I'm old school. I liked that we were not living and breathing for the almighty dollar. You still have 363 days to get what you need. If we close under the name of Christmas or Easter don't fix it because it's not broke. It's worked for a long time. I would also like to go back to when stores were closed on Sundays. I guess I'm really dreaming.
Well then, why not have the stores close on Saturdays? After all, that's the Sabbath. So no one can do any business between sundown Friday and sundown Saturday. It worked for a long time also.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #96
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
But why stop at Christmas and Easter, what about all the other non Christian religious holidays that stores are open. I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't care one way or another whether stores choose to close or stay open. b I just don't agree with the idea that because its a religious holiday for some, and they want stores closed because its "their" holiday that is how it should be for all. If you don't want to spend your Easter out shopping, you don't have too, so what do you care if someone else can? As far as employees, well they can request the day off or part of it so they can spend some time with their family that day.

I think its pretty unrealistic nowadays to have stores closed on Sundays. Society has changed, we don't spend the 7th day resting, we don't spend every Sunday with family, etc. Sundays are no different than any other day for some, except in the fact that instead of having a couple hours after work to get their errands done, a person has the whole day to.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #97
Tomader
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Well then, why not have the stores close on Saturdays? After all, that's the Sabbath. So no one can do any business between sundown Friday and sundown Saturday. It worked for a long time also.
Was that in America?? I only recall Sunday's being a day stores were closed. I'm only speaking on behalf of America. I don't know how other countries work.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #98
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:
Sundays are our family chore going days. The week is so busy and Saturdays are filled with the kids activities. Sundays we go to church, and then do our grocery shopping, mall outings ,etc. After that we do an early dinner. Without those Sundays, I have no idea when we would get things done. They really are the best time for us to spend together and accomplish things! Please dont close stores on Sundays!!
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #99
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

To all the people who are saying that stores should be closed for all religions' special days if they are going to be closed for the Christian religious days. . .

Part of the beauty of our country is freedom of religion, and not freedom from religion. Whoever has the power within a company (e.g. owners, managers) can close on whatever days they want, as long as they are complying with the rules required of them by government entities.

A lot of people celebrate Easter in our country. In some ways, it's like Christmas. I bet a lot of people do egg hunts and the Easter bunny thing even though they aren't Christians. It makes sense that some places would be closed. I really wanted some In-N-Out Burger yesterday, but I wasn't annoyed to find them closed. I was happy for the employees that they got the day off. It's not my cross to bear (sorry - it fits!) if they are working someplace that happens to close on a day they would rather work. That was someone's choice when they chose the job. People are allowed to make choices, and we don't have to be offended FOR them.

Several places I'd like to go are closed every weekend just because they want to be closed on the weekends. Doesn't bother me. I don't like to work weekends, either.

If the owners/managers of a place are of a certain religion (be it Christianity, Judaism, Islamic, Sikh, Buddhist, Hindu, Scientology, Moonie, or Church of the Poison Mind - you name it), they may choose to close on their special days. But even if they are not of any certain religion, they can still close on whatever days they want. Do I sometimes wish Hobby Lobby or Chick-fil-A were open on Sundays? Yeah. But then I'm glad when I remember that the people who chose to work there get that day off, since they probably sought work there because of what they see as a benefit.

I'm a Christian. But it wouldn't bother me if the powers-that-be at a store wanted to close on other religion's holy days. I'd just make do. I am much more bothered when stores show greed, such as I felt they were doing last year with opening early for Black Friday (or is it now Black Thursday??). Thanksgiving is everyone's holiday. Everyone can be thankful, whether it's to God or to other human beings.

The things we find to complain about. . . And I don't exclude myself. I complain too much, too. We have it great in this country.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #100
luvmy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
To all the people who are saying that stores should be closed for all religions' special days if they are going to be closed for the Christian religious days. . .
I think the thing that bothers me is not that the stores have decided to close for Christian holidays as opposed to others, its the fact that the people who are vocal about stores being closed for Christian holidays don't seem to be vocal about stores being closed for any other non Christian religious holiday.
There seems to be the thought that Christians deserve their holidays off, but nobody else does, KWIM.

I don't know how much more can be said without violating DIS rules.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #101
Mel522
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately there isn't a solution that will work for everyone. There are those who want to spend a very important religious holiday worshiping with their families, and there are those like me who are not religious and would rather have a different day off. I personally don't mind the stores being closed. It's slightly inconvenient for me, but I adjust and make it work.

The stores close because their customers dictate it. If they could make a good enough profit, they would open. There just aren't enough people who want to shop on Easter and Christmas at some stores to justify the expense of opening. Unlike Black Thursday/Friday where the stores are packed.
Mel522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #102
teacherforhi
Pit Stop!
My cats allow me to sleep in the bed with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post

Part of the beauty of our country is freedom of religion, and not freedom from religion. Whoever has the power within a company (e.g. owners, managers) can close on whatever days they want, as long as they are complying with the rules required of them by government entities.

A lot of people celebrate Easter in our country. In some ways, it's like Christmas. I bet a lot of people do egg hunts and the Easter bunny thing even though they aren't Christians. It makes sense that some places would be closed. I really wanted some In-N-Out Burger yesterday, but I wasn't annoyed to find them closed. I was happy for the employees that they got the day off. It's not my cross to bear (sorry - it fits!) if they are working someplace that happens to close on a day they would rather work. That was someone's choice when they chose the job. People are allowed to make choices, and we don't have to be offended FOR them.

Several places I'd like to go are closed every weekend just because they want to be closed on the weekends. Doesn't bother me. I don't like to work weekends, either.

If the owners/managers of a place are of a certain religion (be it Christianity, Judaism, Islamic, Sikh, Buddhist, Hindu, Scientology, Moonie, or Church of the Poison Mind - you name it), they may choose to close on their special days. But even if they are not of any certain religion, they can still close on whatever days they want. Do I sometimes wish Hobby Lobby or Chick-fil-A were open on Sundays? Yeah. But then I'm glad when I remember that the people who chose to work there get that day off, since they probably sought work there because of what they see as a benefit.

I'm a Christian. But it wouldn't bother me if the powers-that-be at a store wanted to close on other religion's holy days. I'd just make do. I am much more bothered when stores show greed, such as I felt they were doing last year with opening early for Black Friday (or is it now Black Thursday??). Thanksgiving is everyone's holiday. Everyone can be thankful, whether it's to God or to other human beings.

The things we find to complain about. . . And I don't exclude myself. I complain too much, too. We have it great in this country.
I don't hear much of anyone complaining that Target (or any other store) was closed, it's that group of people who seem to think that because THEY celebrate a particular holiday, that no store should be allowed to be open. Or because they go to church on Sunday, no one else should be allowed to shop.

Every business owner should have the right to decide for themselves, without government interference, what days they will operate their business. That includes holidays. If you feel that strongly that no place of business should be open on a particular day, don't shop. If enough people feel that way, the businesses will close because they won't be making money.

"If there's one thing you should know about bunnies...it's that they play to win."
teacherforhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #103
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥

Quote:
I think the thing that bothers me is not that the stores have decided to close for Christian holidays as opposed to others, its the fact that the people who are vocal about stores being closed for Christian holidays don't seem to be vocal about stores being closed for any other non Christian religious holiday.
There seems to be the thought that Christians deserve their holidays off, but nobody else does, KWIM.

Maybe that's because it is in general Christians who are vocal about stores being closed for Christian holidays? That's just human nature in regards to just about anything - not just religious things. We as humans stand up for what we or our group would like. It doesn't mean we are against what someone else would like. Yes, there are definitely times when it is time to take a stand for others. But we'd wear ourselves out if we were constantly vocal about everything we ourselves believe in, let alone taking a stand for everything that everyone else on the planet wants. It is good to help when it is a genuine need, but we'd feel buried if we took offense at everything to the point of arguing about or fighting for it.

What you are doing is taking a stand for others. That isn't a bad thing, and is probably a good thing if you are including the Christians in the "all religious groups" whose rights you are willing to stand for. Maybe that is an important role you can fill - standing up for some of the religions or groups that are more of a minority in the U.S.

The fact that what you would like to see is not happening yet doesn't make Christians wrong for taking some kind of stand on their own behalf.

I don't think that enough Target employees are suffering from their lack of pay on Easter that we need to take a stand on it for our fellow human beings - something that we as Christians are definitely called to do. On the contrary, I think most of us are saying that we want people to be able to spend time with their families and friends, or just plain ol' have a day of rest. If some of the people are suffering from missing a day of work, they can always go to the food pantries or other charities that so many churches offer. As far as people not being able to shop that one day of the year - I don't buy that argument for one second. Other stores are open or you can plan ahead.

You have a valid point in saying that businesses should consider closing for some other religious holidays. Perhaps that is your burden to partially bear by contacting the stores and businesses on behalf of some of the other religions or groups. It sounds like it has been placed on your heart, as some would say.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #104
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherforhi View Post
I don't hear much of anyone complaining that Target (or any other store) was closed, it's that group of people who seem to think that because THEY celebrate a particular holiday, that no store should be allowed to be open. Or because they go to church on Sunday, no one else should be allowed to shop.
That is annoying if some people are trying to mandate that based on religion. But I don't know if most people are saying that, or if it's even tied to their religion. To me most people are just saying they miss the simpler, slower times of the old days. Not everyone misses that, though, as this thread has indicated.

Neither side is right and neither side is wrong. It's just a difference of opinion.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #105
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: