Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #61
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Again, I was talking about it being a 2nd job. READ PEOPLE, READ. I never siad that a person working there full time wouldn't feel it. I was responding to someone that said they would feel it because for a lot of people it was a 2nd job, not a FIRST or ONLY job. Man I wish people would learn to read.
Reading you just fine. Do you think people take second jobs for fun? No, it's because the first job isn't paying the bills. So cutting the hours of the second job can still be just as painful as cutting the hours of a first job.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #62
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle

Didn't really bother us much. We aren't remotely religious, so we're in the group of "just another sunday". We decided to go get the second season of Game of Thrones and be lazy all day, and drove to Target because it's the closest store. Saw they were closed, shrugged and said "oh yeah, Easter" and went back home. I plan to go back there today to make my purchase.

I'm not going to boycott Target because they chose to observe a religious holiday that I don't. (other than in the commercialized sense...I like dying eggs and eating candy!) They were one of the very few places around us that were closed yesterday. We took our dog to get groomed at PetSmart and the salon was busy as heck.

I think it is up to each individual company what days they choose to be open or closed, just like it's up to them what their hours are. Regardless of their reasoning, be it religious or something else, it doesn't really hurt me at all. It doesn't change my opinion of the company. I shop based on price and convenience, not how that company chooses to observe a holiday. I think i'd only have an issue with that if it were a discrimination issue where, for example, Christian got paid leave for all the big holidays, but Jewish people had to take unpaid days. Unless it's something like that, then what does it really matter? Either be happy that a company is observing something important to you, or be accepting that companies have the right to choose to be closed and go shop somewhere else that day.
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #63
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Again, I was talking about it being a 2nd job. READ PEOPLE, READ. I never siad that a person working there full time wouldn't feel it. I was responding to someone that said they would feel it because for a lot of people it was a 2nd job, not a FIRST or ONLY job. Man I wish people would learn to read.
I can read just fine, but these types of stores dont close for just those working two jobs, they close for EVERYONE! So all those workers miss out on the pay.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #64
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
Exactly. People can wait a day to buy paper towels. I feel for anyone who had to work yesterday (other than healthcare). Easter is a family day.
Easter is a family day for some people, not all.

Quote:
I know a few people with second jobs because they need the extra income, so yes they would feel the loss of a day of work.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #65
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And people who are working a second job obviously need the income from the second job.

How can you be so dismissive of a second job? Pretty sure that a person wouldn't be working it if they did not need those measly pennies a second job secures. A second job is as important to one's budge as their first job. They rely on that income plus their other income to make one's ends meet. They are going to feel missing a day of their second job.

The way you write it, it is coming across as quite the pompous attitude, don't you think?
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #66
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Imagine the poor innocent guy sitting at home researching a Disney vacation.

He clicks on something called DISboards.

He finds this thread first.

What in the world would he think?
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #67
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Reading you just fine. Do you think people take second jobs for fun? No, it's because the first job isn't paying the bills. So cutting the hours of the second job can still be just as painful as cutting the hours of a first job.
Never said they did, did I. So are you actually saying that stores should stay open just so people who need the money will have a chance to make it? Wow, you all can just pull stuff out of nowhere and argue.

YOu all go ahead and justify your wanting these stores open, that is all you are really doing.

I am out. I have said my opinion and I won't change and I simply won't argue with you all.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #68
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Imagine the poor innocent guy sitting at home researching a Disney vacation.

He clicks on something called DISboards.

He finds this thread first.

What in the world would he think?
He would probably think its a good thing WDW isn't closed on Easter, or Christmas or Arbor Day etc etc
Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #69
luvmy3

Quote:
Never said they did, did I. So are you actually saying that stores should stay open just so people who need the money will have a chance to make it? Wow, you all can just pull stuff out of nowhere and argue.

YOu all go ahead and justify your wanting these stores open, that is all you are really doing.

I am out. I have said my opinion and I won't change and I simply won't argue with you all.
There doesn't need to be justification, stores are open on Easter because they can be. They can be closed too.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #70
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:

Where did I ever say stores should stay open?

What I took issue with was the poster (maybe it was you, I forget) who said it was "good" that stores were closed. I don't see what's good about it.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #71
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Some of the posters are justifying why they want the stores closed ~ like *they* think they should be.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #72
TheDisneyGirl02
I found my Disney Prince!
Animals that have gone through the taxidermy process scare like nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post

I'm sure it's nice. My perspective is altered since my wife and I've spent the last 38 years working in an industry where "holiday" does not mean "day off". And since my mom was a nurse, growing up we celebrated a lot of Easters, Thanksgivings and Christmases after mom got home from work.
I know my MIL, who managed a law office, until the day she died, never understood jobs that don't take holidays off.
There are some professions that regardless of the holiday need to work. Nursing is one of them. My dad works at a home for mentally ill people, he worked yesterday as well as Christmas. Just the way it goes with certain professions.

With that being said, nobody really 'needs' to buy a XBox 360 on Easter Sunday. Signs were posted that the stores would be closed people can plan accordingly.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #73
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisneyGirl02 View Post
There are some professions that regardless of the holiday need to work. Nursing is one of them. My dad works at a home for mentally ill people, he worked yesterday as well as Christmas. Just the way it goes with certain professions.

With that being said, nobody really 'needs' to buy a XBox 360 on Easter Sunday. Signs were posted that the stores would be closed people can plan accordingly.
True about the Xbox, but the grocery stores being closed on the only day of the week I have to shop would be an issue.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #74
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisneyGirl02 View Post

But stores like Target sell things other than Xboxes and paper towels. They sell fever reducing meds, they sell bandages, they fill Rxs. So once again who declares what stores are considered essential or not. Maybe you or your family doesnt need to be in a store like that but others certainly do and are probably pretty glad that places like that are open.

I mentioned it above, gas stations could say, gas up the day before, but that doesnt help the person who needs to travel further than a tank of gas.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #75
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

Wait a second, you're criticizing people for not reading, then make the statement I bolded? Not ONE person has said the stores SHOULD be open. Some have said it's an inconvenience, but that's about it. However, people said they were "happy" the stores were closed, others said they wished other stores were closed.

Personally, I don't care whether the stores are open or not. I just don't understand what there is to be "happy" about or why people think the stores should be closed.

Plenty of people have said it's the store's decision to be open or not, but WE'RE the ones who don't read?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993

Last edited by sam_gordon; 04-01-2013 at 03:49 PM.
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: