Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #136
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
I bet the poster wouldn't be that upset if the restaurants were closed as well.
There are complaints about stores being open. Why no complaints about restaurants being open?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #137
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Nobody has a problem with stores closing any day or days they choose. Many of us have issues with the attitude that more/all stores should be closed on religious yet non-legal holidays - especially when so many are open on most legal holidays.

I'm sure owners of the stores in the Diamond District aren't demanding or expecting that all stores in the area - or the city - be closed.

I'm just speaking for myself of course. I don't demand that businesses be closed - I'm all for the free market system, and I like it that businesses can make those decisions. But I also like it that some stores decided to close. Not to hurt anybody or cause inconvenience. (Though we all used to survive without most stores on holidays) Its really just empathy for workers and their families. Its that simple.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #138
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFFYCAT View Post
Sorry, if a store wants to close on ANY day that's their business.
Their were many business that were open but they didn't get grief for doing so.

Up unitill the 70's everything was closed on Sundays

There are many things in America that have changed since the 70s....

Quote:
I'm just speaking for myself of course. I don't demand that businesses be closed - I'm all for the free market system, and I like it that businesses can make those decisions. But I also like it that some stores decided to close. Not to hurt anybody or cause inconvenience. (Though we all used to survive without most stores on holidays) Its really just empathy for workers and their families. Its that simple.
I think that is what most are saying, if a place is closed than fine. If a place is open and I have a need to go there for whatever reason, than great. Let the businesses chose! What I dont get is the lack of empathy for all the other people that work on these holidays like the TV personnel or the retail worker on the turnpike, but we MUST have empathy for that poor person who had to work somewhere else like Walmart etc. No one has empathy for the person working at CVS it seems, like the pharmacist and the cashier.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #139
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
There are complaints about stores being open. Why no complaints about restaurants being open?

I really can only speak for myself. I would feel the same about restaurants. I'm not complaining about any of them though.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #140
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
There are many things in America that have changed since the 70s....

I think that is what most are saying, if a place is closed than fine. If a place is open and I have a need to go there for whatever reason, than great. Let the businesses chose! What I dont get is the lack of empathy for all the other people that work on these holidays like the TV personnel or the retail worker on the turnpike, but we MUST have empathy for that poor person who had to work somewhere else like Walmart etc. No one has empathy for the person working at CVS it seems, like the pharmacist and the cashier.

I guess we all struggle against some kind of hypocrisy . I have lots of faults, but one of my better traits is loads of empathy. So, I do care about anyone that has to work who would rather be with their families on a holiday that's important to them. Some people are in positions that must work on holidays - pharmacists, doctors, police, etc. Of course, they are compensated for their time a lot more than a WalMart or Target employee. I can still feel bad for them that they're not with their families, but at least they're doing something that is worth doing on a holiday and they're being paid a reasonable wage for it.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #141
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
But why would I have a problem going out on Saturday? And why would a Jewish person have a problem going out on a Sunday? A Jewish holiday may not be on my radar, but that doesn't mean I don't respect it. And if a majority of people started celebrating a Jewish holiday, and major stores decided to close for it - I would be respectful of that. It doesn't mean I might not "run out" to whatever stores were open. Respectfully, I don't understand the hypocrisy in this.
I'm speaking about those Christians who are very vocal about what retail establishments should do on Christmas, Easter and/or even just on Sundays. If you aren't one of them who cares about stores being open on your holiday, or your Sunday, then I'm not referring to you.
Respectfully I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about a person like that wanting stores closed for their days, yet have no problem with going out to those stores on holy days of other religions. They have no issues running out for an Xbox on rosh Hashanah, but Heaven forbid anyone want to do it on Easter That is the hypocrisy I see among some (note, not all) Christians, and here on the DIS whenever the holidays roll around.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #142
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I'm speaking about those Christians who are very vocal about what retail establishments should do on Christmas, Easter and/or even just on Sundays. If you aren't one of them who cares about stores being open on your holiday, or your Sunday, then I'm not referring to you.
Respectfully I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about a person like that wanting stores closed for their days, yet have no problem with going out to those stores on holy days of other religions. They have no issues running out for an Xbox on rosh Hashanah, but Heaven forbid anyone want to do it on Easter That is the hypocrisy I see among some (note, not all) Christians, and here on the DIS whenever the holidays roll around.

I think it would only be hypocritical if the person wanting to buy an XBox on Rosh Hashanah was mad that the store was closed. Otherwise, it wouldn't be on my radar because its not my faith. But if I wanted stores closed on Easter and then, was mad that stores were closed on another religious holiday - I would be a hypocrite. (Unless I'm missing something else - my brain seems to be a little fried already . Thanks for the response - I really love discussing these issues, and I'm glad we can do it in a reasonable fashion).
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #143
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
I guess we all struggle against some kind of hypocrisy . I have lots of faults, but one of my better traits is loads of empathy. So, I do care about anyone that has to work who would rather be with their families on a holiday that's important to them. Some people are in positions that must work on holidays - pharmacists, doctors, police, etc. Of course, they are compensated for their time a lot more than a WalMart or Target employee. I can still feel bad for them that they're not with their families, but at least they're doing something that is worth doing on a holiday and they're being paid a reasonable wage for it.
I think what you are failing to realize is that yes the pharmacist is a professional but the rest of the people in that drugstore are just retail workers like the rest of the people that work in Target or other places. A pharmacy would never be open with just a pharmacist on staff.

And you have empathy but I think the argument here is that many dont have empathy for all the others working that day. There was a thread at Christmas or Thanksgiving with a mom in tears about her child working on that day. She never cared until it affected her holiday. Dont get me wrong, it stinks if your child, husband, favorite aunt etc cant make a holiday event bc of work, but it is life, and there are tons of jobs, NOT just the professionals, that are working on these days, and no one fights for them or people are utilizing the services of these businesses. Many people eat out, watch TV or go to the movies, but that is ok for some people to work on holidays but not ok for others, or when it somehow directly affects them.

Or what also bothers me is the attitude that only professionals are working these holidays, there are plenty of low paying jobs that are working, and where are the people up in arms about them. Who is complaining on a message board for the server who has to work the holiday at a nursing home, when they might rather be at home with their families, but those people need to eat. This is what bothers me the most, I guess!

Or when people have an issue with McDs being open in their neighborhood on a holiday but no one blinks and eye that the McDs is open at a turnpike rest stop
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #144
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFFYCAT View Post
Because Easter is the holiest time of the year for Christians.

Funny, I work in Manhatten and grew up in New York. The stores are closed for days in a row routinely for Jewish holidays.
Yet, that's acceptable?

Christians have 2 days(should be 3 with Good Friday) that we cekebrate yet people have a problem with it.
No one has a problem with you celebrating. No one has a problem with the stores being closed (ok, they may admit it's an inconvenience, but I haven't heard anyone say the stores should be open). What people have a problem with with those posters who think the stores should be closed on days (whether holidays or Sundays in general) that are important to them.

Quote:
Unfortunately, its not always that easy, and it gets more difficult as more stores elect to be open on Thanksgiving.
True. But it's a matter of priorities. If it's that important that you're off on (pick your) holiday, it's up to you to find a job that allows that.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #145
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
I really can only speak for myself. I would feel the same about restaurants. I'm not complaining about any of them though.
Are you upset that some stores were open on Easter?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #146
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
I think what you are failing to realize is that yes the pharmacist is a professional but the rest of the people in that drugstore are just retail workers like the rest of the people that work in Target or other places. A pharmacy would never be open with just a pharmacist on staff.

And you have empathy but I think the argument here is that many dont have empathy for all the others working that day. There was a thread at Christmas or Thanksgiving with a mom in tears about her child working on that day. She never cared until it affected her holiday. Dont get me wrong, it stinks if your child, husband, favorite aunt etc cant make a holiday event bc of work, but it is life, and there are tons of jobs, NOT just the professionals, that are working on these days, and no one fights for them or people are utilizing the services of these businesses. Many people eat out, watch TV or go to the movies, but that is ok for some people to work on holidays but not ok for others, or when it somehow directly affects them.

Or what also bothers me is the attitude that only professionals are working these holidays, there are plenty of low paying jobs that are working, and where are the people up in arms about them. Who is complaining on a message board for the server who has to work the holiday at a nursing home, when they might rather be at home with their families, but those people need to eat. This is what bothers me the most, I guess!

Or when people have an issue with McDs being open in their neighborhood on a holiday but no one blinks and eye that the McDs is open at a turnpike rest stop

Yes, I do realize that it takes other people to keep the pharmacy open. And isn't it human nature to "not care" about something until it affects us? Maybe having a child have to work on a holiday is what makes someone aware of how much it can hurt. And I am guilty of what you've described to a point. I've been glad that a store was closed and then ran out to 7-11 for the ice that I forgot to buy the day before. Does that make me a hypocrite? I'm really not sure. I wouldn't be mad if the 7-11 was closed, but I would probably be mad if the hospital was closed (though I wouldn't think about it unless I needed it).

Obviously, there's not a one size fits all approach to this. I'm thankful that businesses can still make this choice. And I'm respectful about the different needs and different beliefs in this country.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #147
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

It's not that easy to find jobs in some areas. It is however easy to say that people should just find other jobs.

I personally feel empathy for everyone that has to work on holidays. It's not only the holiday for me but I celebrate any time people get an extra day off. If that is bad somehow so be it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #148
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
Are you upset that some stores were open on Easter?

Good question. I love discussions - especially discussions concerning all the banned topics on the DIS . I remember thinking that it was silly for stores like PetCo to be open, but I can understand that someone else with a different (or no) faith might have been glad that it was available. If my child was working in a pharmacy and had to work on Easter, I would feel more understanding than if he/she was working at a pet store. I don't know if that makes me wrong, but that's my feelings at this time.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #149
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
It's not that easy to find jobs in some areas. It is however easy to say that people should just find other jobs.

I personally feel empathy for everyone that has to work on holidays. It's not only the holiday for me but I celebrate any time people get an extra day off. If that is bad somehow so be it.

I think this is part of what I'm feeling - I like it that people are off and with their families.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #150
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Okay, let's turn this around, did anyone here get Easter off as a paid holiday?

I think that is the key issue. A day off is nice, but for many, if it means no pay, it's a problem.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: