Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
imlsherman
Mouseketeer

Just booked the week of july 27 anybody else going to be there

So I just booked the family vacation for the week of July 27. This time I have invited the extended family as well still waiting to hear form them. My wife and our two girls have gone to Disney a lot on our own but never with extended family any tips from those of you that have done this? We will be staying at OKW and I am thinking that we will just do studios for everyone instead of sharing a three bedroom. Any thoughts or feedback would be great and most does with a large family too. Thank you all in advance.
imlsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

We have brought my parents and also my MIL. My advice is to not rush. My MIL wanted to take her time and look around a lot. We wanted to show her everything and rushed to do everything. She says now it was all a blur. If she could do it again, she said she would have rather done half as much and gone slower.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
imlsherman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfanforlife View Post
We have brought my parents and also my MIL. My advice is to not rush. My MIL wanted to take her time and look around a lot. We wanted to show her everything and rushed to do everything. She says now it was all a blur. If she could do it again, she said she would have rather done half as much and gone slower.
Thanks for the advice. Whenever we go in the summer we always go slower and take more time at the pool to just enjoy family time. I am just worried about everyone getting along for a week and me not going crazy
Old 03-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
nkosiek
Mouseketeer

Don't plan too much and allow it so that people can have time for themselves or their little part of the family without the whole group. We went 2 years ago with all my in-laws and the one thing we did was make sure that all of us had time each day for either alone/separate time so that we didn't get tired of each other or too frustrated or so that one person wasn't the one always in charge.
nkosiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
imlsherman
Mouseketeer

So as of right now it seems only my MIL is coming with us. Is it rude if I give the rest if the family a deadline?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

We'll be there at the same time doing the same thing, come read my PTR.

We are staying OKW July 28 - Aug 3 DH and our 3 kids. We've invited ILs to join us and have 2Bd lock-off HH area. ILs own Hilton timeshares and have elected to stay there instead. It's over by SEa World but the drive isn't bad. We've also invited my sister and she will stay with us. Everyone is on the reservation though incase they change minds since the room does sleep 9.

We've taken my sister (38) to WDW with us before in OCT. we don't know if she's coming yet but I've put her on all our dining. She walks a bit slower due to some medical things, but I think that is good, it slows us down.

We've never done Disney with ILs. They live in FL and have APs and do Disney much differently then we do. They've said they'll do it our way, but I know they aren't rope drop fans like we are. I plan to give them the plan and they can join us whenever they want and I won't fret about it.

With kids we have to do Disney when it's busy. So to cope with the heat we rope drop, get as much done before the heat and crowds and then take a break at lunch, enjoy the pool, DTD, mini-golf etc., and go back when it cools down.

Good luck to you! I want to keep up with your plans- how fun well be there at the same time!
catherines_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
imlsherman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherines_mama View Post
We'll be there at the same time doing the same thing, come read my PTR.

We are staying OKW July 28 - Aug 3 DH and our 3 kids. We've invited ILs to join us and have 2Bd lock-off HH area. ILs own Hilton timeshares and have elected to stay there instead. It's over by SEa World but the drive isn't bad. We've also invited my sister and she will stay with us. Everyone is on the reservation though incase they change minds since the room does sleep 9.

We've taken my sister (38) to WDW with us before in OCT. we don't know if she's coming yet but I've put her on all our dining. She walks a bit slower due to some medical things, but I think that is good, it slows us down.

We've never done Disney with ILs. They live in FL and have APs and do Disney much differently then we do. They've said they'll do it our way, but I know they aren't rope drop fans like we are. I plan to give them the plan and they can join us whenever they want and I won't fret about it.

With kids we have to do Disney when it's busy. So to cope with the heat we rope drop, get as much done before the heat and crowds and then take a break at lunch, enjoy the pool, DTD, mini-golf etc., and go back when it cools down.

Good luck to you! I want to keep up with your plans- how fun well be there at the same time!
How old are your kids? My oldest will be turning five that week and then I have a DD2. We are visiting from NY what about you guys. And as of right now I think it is only my IL coming with us. And I agree with your rope drop plans that is what we do during or summer visits because of the heat.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

Ours are older. DD12, DS11, DD8 we are in Wilmington NC but lived on the West coast of FL until June 2011. We did Disney all the time when we lived there. Moving further away we had to adjust how we go and go with the school schedules, especially with them getting older and oldest DD is a nerd and hates to miss school. A trait we love about her but when it comes to planning vacations it can drive me crazy :-)

When Emma (8) was 4 we went in July and learned the hard way the importance of rope drop and breaks. By 11am she was screaming and hitting and just plain nasty to be around. So now we just plan around it.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
imlsherman
Mouseketeer

We went last July and this past December. July is hot however the crowd is nothing compared to the holiday session. Enjoy your planning
Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlsherman View Post
We went last July and this past December. July is hot however the crowd is nothing compared to the holiday session. Enjoy your planning
I have to agree. The summer is more spread out where the holiday, be it Dec or Easter is condensed. We don't mind summer, just work around the heat and rain.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #11
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlsherman
So I just booked the family vacation for the week of July 27. This time I have invited the extended family as well still waiting to hear form them. My wife and our two girls have gone to Disney a lot on our own but never with extended family any tips from those of you that have done this? We will be staying at OKW and I am thinking that we will just do studios for everyone instead of sharing a three bedroom. Any thoughts or feedback would be great and most does with a large family too. Thank you all in advance.
I found our DW vacation with family a bit stressful because we tried to do rope drop with those that prefer to sleep in and enjoy the nightlife. So go slow let them dictate the pace a bit. Enjoy the time with them. We are doing another family get together for next year at VB or HH just to take the Parks out of the mix and enjoy each other's company.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Upon a Star
Mouseketeer

I will be there too. Doing a split stay July 25 th to aug 3 rd akv and BCV. I'm sure it'll be hot but well be in Disney!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
imlsherman
Mouseketeer

We were they last year at the same time and yes it is hot but like you said your in Disney. As long as you do the parks early and then hit the pool mid day and then back to the parks at night it's not that bad. Enjoy your trip
Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
heathers4um
DIS Veteran

ME...

er, well US!

OKW, 7/25-7/31

Last minute trip, can't wait!

"While Eeyore frets ...and Piglet hesitates...and Rabbit calculates...and Owl pontificates...Pooh just is. "
heathers4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

We will also be there 7/27 - 8/3 at OKW. We are coming off the Disney Fantasy cruise - 18 of us. A few of us are flying back home and a few staying. My son and dil will be staying two additional nights at OKW and my friend, dh, and mom will also be staying an additional 4/5 nights - not sure if they are at OKW or SSR.

My dd is currently working at Disney. She is in the CP program. We are staying one night before the cruise to pick her up and staying a week after the cruise to take her home (when she checks-out) = assuming all goes as planned.

We plan on hanging out by the pool and shade most of the day and heading out for dinner/parks late in the afternoon/early eve. We don't have small children - youngest is dd at 20 yrs. old so we do try to avoid going in the summer time now.

We love going with friends and family but we also like our own private space and will stay in multiple studios because of it.

Happy planning!!

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: