Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
samfsu
Earning My Ears

Grand Cayman Scuba Diving

I am thinking of diving in Grand Cayman, for those of you that have can you please let me know if the 4.5 hrs that we are there will be enough time to dive? Did you dive with the cruise ship or on your own with a LDS?

Thanks for the insight!
samfsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
WDWMaggie
Earning My Ears

I've gone diving a few times in GC and have booked it through the ship. I believe they use Red Sail Sports. Every time I have gone it's been a great experience.
Hope this helps!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
ludari
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWMaggie View Post
I've gone diving a few times in GC and have booked it through the ship. I believe they use Red Sail Sports. Every time I have gone it's been a great experience.
Hope this helps!
I too booked my diving excursion through the ship and I was not disappointed. We had the opportunity to see all sorts of wonderful wildlife and even dived at a wreck site.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half

Last edited by ludari; 03-30-2013 at 10:52 PM.
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Docklobster
Earning My Ears

Yes red sail was superb!!
Docklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Nice to hear that Red Sail is still around. I used them probably 20 years ago and it was a good experience then. Just haven't been diving any more so I've got no current experience.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

We dive Cayman a lot. Usually with Don Foster's.

Are you bringing your own gear? If I had my druthers, I'd actually do a shore dive and not worry about the boat ride since you have a time on shore. My first choice would be Lighthouse point, very easy to get to, basically you head west towards West Bay. It's a gorgeous, shore dive, and much nicer than you'll see on one of the shallow cruise shippers dives.

Or, I'd just head over to Sunset House and do their house dive.

Probably my favorite dive on all of Cayman is the old house reef for Spanish Bay Reef, but the resort is under some kind of construction and I don't know if you could walk down to their dock. It also probably wouldn't be too easy to find.
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
samfsu
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippingalong View Post
We dive Cayman a lot. Usually with Don Foster's.

Are you bringing your own gear? If I had my druthers, I'd actually do a shore dive and not worry about the boat ride since you have a time on shore. My first choice would be Lighthouse point, very easy to get to, basically you head west towards West Bay. It's a gorgeous, shore dive, and much nicer than you'll see on one of the shallow cruise shippers dives.

Or, I'd just head over to Sunset House and do their house dive.

Probably my favorite dive on all of Cayman is the old house reef for Spanish Bay Reef, but the resort is under some kind of construction and I don't know if you could walk down to their dock. It also probably wouldn't be too easy to find.
I am on the fence about bring gear or not. I know I have to rent tanks but I can bring everything else. I will look into the shore dives. Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Mekamax
Earning My Ears

You can walk to Eden Rock from the tender pier (to the right) and dive there right off their pier. They are a Dive Center and rent gear and all. Great shore dives.. www.edenrockdive.com
Mekamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
samfsu
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekamax View Post
You can walk to Eden Rock from the tender pier (to the right) and dive there right off their pier. They are a Dive Center and rent gear and all. Great shore dives..

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
jgura
Discruiser

GC Diving

My husband has dived there through DCL twice. Both times he had enough time and a good experience. He goes solo, so I prefer he goes through Disney. If we cruise with another diver, then we book all the dives independently.
jgura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Whirlybird
Earning My Ears

I have taken several scuba dive excursions from the cruise line and have not been disappointed. You will be well taken care of and ensure you are back on the ship on time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: