Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #391
njcarita
BL II - Red Team
If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?
the name DANNY TERRIO pooped into my head
I swear I am full of useless information...

well just weighed in and lost my goal and a pd........... a zillion left to go.....but what a lift to the old spirits.............been working sooooo much havent been able to get any exercise in.......ugh........... but at least all the work hours has kept me from snacking all day...........

before 1988 didn't keep track- must have been over 20 times to disney- went every year with family

Here we go again!!!!
starting weight
Jan 1 2013 194.8lbs Height 5'9" BMI 28.8

Jan 1 2014 187.4 BMI 27.7Goal 150[/COLOR][/FONT]
njcarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #392
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin1102 View Post
I have had a tough week and am really trying to regain my focus.
Glad you are aware of it and working on the focus. Hopefully it will all click back into place quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
Well, the unplanned walking continues!!! I forgot my lunch today (prepped it all, then left it on the counter in the kitchen!!) so at lunchtime I had to walk to the nearest store to buy some lunch (baked beans and bananas....not together!!). My Garmin Fit app said I did 1.32km in 13mins and 32 seconds, and used 92 calories in the process!!

Hate it when I forget something like that.... but good for you for finding a decent substitute AND getting in some extra steps!!

lmhall2000........The scotch egg recipe is really simple....boil (soft boil) and shell 4 eggs. Take a pound of lean pork sausage, skin and divide into 4. Coat each egg in a fourth of the sausage. (You can dip in egg and roll in breadcrumbs at this stage if you want, but I don't bother) spray with a little low cal spray, then bake in the oven for around 30-40 minutes at 200C.

Sounds yummy!

Made the most delicious chicken and potato bake for tea, all healthy and wholesome and no syns at all on my diet plan!!!
Sounds delish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
Super! Now I need the chicken and potato bake recipe! Can I just come visit your kitchen or awhile? I do not think our sausage tastes like yours, so you just bake, no deep frying? I can do that!

I'm not sure our sausage would be like theirs either.

Way to go all you walkers/runners!! Great job! I got my 30 DS in but am feeling a light headed slump, trying to figure out foods I can eat that will up my energy, but usually get anemic at TOM...
Don't do the exercise when you are light-headed! No need to end up in a heap on the floor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
Good Wed morning everyone.

I may not be posting but I am still reading everything.

daffodils

I will be seeing a lot of everyone once the AP exam is over in two weeks. I will also be hosting the May thread so maybe I can back on track.

Have a happy and healthy day.
WOOHOO on hosting!! And as the Mom of an AP student....THANK YOU for all you do to help the students succeed on the exams!! DD is in the kitchen RIGHT NOW working on a study project for her Biology AP test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcarita View Post
well just weighed in and lost my goal and a pd........... a zillion left to go.....but what a lift to the old spirits.............been working sooooo much havent been able to get any exercise in.......ugh........... but at least all the work hours has kept me from snacking all day...........
Great job on losing your goal!! Don't get too distracted by how much you have left.... just celebrate TODAY'S victory!!

Morning all! Lost track of time and haven't posted the QOTD yet! So sorry! No excuses, since I've been up since 4am! Morning just got away from me!

I'm doing well, keeping busy during this school vacation week! Off to get that QOTD posted, hang a load of towels on the line, and get moving!..........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #393
pjlla
<><

QOTD for Wednesday, April 24, 2013:

How have things in your kitchen changed since you started on this weight-loss/healthy lifestyle journey? Have you....

cleaned out the snack cupboard to make room for healthier choices?

added a steamer basket to your saucepan drawer??

made room in a drawer for a new food scale?

bought new knives to help you prep more fruits and veggies?

dug out your favorite lunch sack to make it easier to bring your healthy lunch to work?

tossed out the processed junk (cereal, crackers, cookies) in lieu of healthier foods (apples, oranges, Lara bars)??

invested in a special appliance like a Vitamix??

Take a minute to share the changes you have made!!

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #394
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post

How have things in your kitchen changed since you started on this weight-loss/healthy lifestyle journey? Have you....

cleaned out the snack cupboard to make room for healthier choices? Try to but it's a constant battle with the DH. For the most part though, I stay away from the junk he brings home!

added a steamer basket to your saucepan drawer?? a what to my what??

made room in a drawer for a new food scale? Yes!

bought new knives to help you prep more fruits and veggies? Received some from a friend.

dug out your favorite lunch sack to make it easier to bring your healthy lunch to work? Yup!

tossed out the processed junk (cereal, crackers, cookies) in lieu of healthier foods (apples, oranges, Lara bars)??Just added the good stuff to the existing junk.

Does a new blender count?

I hope there's some magic way to change the DH's habits without him even knowing...

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #395
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
I hope there's some magic way to change the DH's habits without him even knowing...
Well..... if you are the meal planner, you could start by just offering different healthier meals and smaller portions of carbohydrates and offering multiple veggies with each meal. We used to be a standard "protein, starch, one {usually green} veggie" family.... but we have definitely EVOLVED into a much healthier family! Dinner is usually a smaller portion of lean protein, a small portion of a healthy carb such as brown rice or quinoa, and two or three veggies. The kids have gotten very used to it (although I won't say that DS is always on board with the veggies). You would have to make the changes gradual and be SURE that there is something there that he loves, so he remembers the meal fondly!

If you are having trouble with DH bringing home junk food, be sure to dedicate a spot for HIS junk and then STAY AWAY FROM IT! I have a special basket for the kids school snacks (not terrible stuff, just treats I shouldn't eat like Nature Valley granola bars, Clif bars) and I rarely go into it unless I am packing lunches. I have my treats in a different spot and I try to keep the Point values written on them, loud and clear so I know what I am choosing. Most of the time though, I try to think of the fruit bowl as my treat spot.

Okay.... day is screaming along at breakneck pace, as usual! One load on the line drying and another to go out, but it is getting a bit late for that. Lunch is being consumed as we speak, chicken is marinating for dinner. I got in some yard work exercise today and it felt good to FINALLY be outside! Yesterday was so cold and damp and dark and bitter.... but today is nice! Nearly 60 degrees and bright sun! I got three flower beds in the back raked out and dragged the leaves to the woods. I need to do some paperwork inside for a bit, but I am hoping to get back outside for another hour of raking before I have to hit the shower.

Dinner tonight..... grilled chicken salads. Sounds pretty basic, but it is a bit unusual for us, as DS can't eat chicken so we rarely have it unless he is away. But DD was craving it, so I planned it for this week. I bought some new meatless "chicken" strips for DS to try on his salad. Salads will be organic mixed greens and baby spinach topped with those lovely yellow cherry tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, celery, jicama, mushrooms, and sauteed onions and peppers.

Off to have my apple and get my paperwork done so I can get back outside!...........P

Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #396
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Quote:

dug out your favorite lunch sack to make it easier to bring your healthy lunch to work?

tossed out the processed junk (cereal, crackers, cookies) in lieu of healthier foods (apples, oranges, Lara bars)??

Well at our house there is def less snacks.. stuff like crackers, popcorn, cheese its, cookies, mixes for brownies and cakes are all gone.. we do have some chips but I am Ok at staying away from those.. I do buy a few things when DS is home so he can have them in his lunch box (he need not watch his what he eat at 6 foot and 150lbs) I do have WAY more veggies with dinners most night we have 2 veggies lean meat and the boys have a starch altho sometimes it's just the veggies and I make my Hubs eat them instead of a starch.. haaa - he is not a big veggie guy.. He isn't ready to really change but I've noticed lately he's not snacking as much (maybe cause they are missing )

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #397
njcarita
BL II - Red Team
If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?
the name DANNY TERRIO pooped into my head
I swear I am full of useless information...

Quote:

honestly no changes............ my family are snackers and love their chips and junk food........but they are active and all skinny........ ex my 17 years old son 6'1" and 150 lbs.............. i think what helped me is getting a job back in jan and i am not home to eat all day.............. i think i will need to think on some of these suggestions........and see what i come up with............

before 1988 didn't keep track- must have been over 20 times to disney- went every year with family

Here we go again!!!!
starting weight
Jan 1 2013 194.8lbs Height 5'9" BMI 28.8

Jan 1 2014 187.4 BMI 27.7Goal 150[/COLOR][/FONT]
njcarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #398
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Angry

Quote:
Well..... if you are the meal planner, you could start by just offering different healthier meals and smaller portions of carbohydrates and offering multiple veggies with each meal. We used to be a standard "protein, starch, one {usually green} veggie" family.... but we have definitely EVOLVED into a much healthier family! Dinner is usually a smaller portion of lean protein, a small portion of a healthy carb such as brown rice or quinoa, and two or three veggies. The kids have gotten very used to it (although I won't say that DS is always on board with the veggies). You would have to make the changes gradual and be SURE that there is something there that he loves, so he remembers the meal fondly!

If you are having trouble with DH bringing home junk food, be sure to dedicate a spot for HIS junk and then STAY AWAY FROM IT! I have a special basket for the kids school snacks (not terrible stuff, just treats I shouldn't eat like Nature Valley granola bars, Clif bars) and I rarely go into it unless I am packing lunches. I have my treats in a different spot and I try to keep the Point values written on them, loud and clear so I know what I am choosing. Most of the time though, I try to think of the fruit bowl as my treat spot.
The problem is I almost NEVER cook dinner. He's always home before me and knows that I usually work out as soon as I get home. He eats lunch around noon and I don't usually go until 2, so by 5 he's starving. He's not one for trying ANYTHING new, he just wants something quick and easy. I can honestly says he eats one of 4-5 meals every night: pasta (white) with ground beef, chicken parm that he makes with Tyson fillets, homemade pizza, or breaded chicken strips with hot sauce or take out Chinese. That's it. I mean that's REALLY it. And he pretty much refuses to eat left overs, not that there really ever is any. He also does all the grocery shopping, which may seem like a great thing (especially since I hate it!), but he goes for inexpensive as opposed to quality. (Heavy sigh...). He knows if I did it, there would be NO Oreos, cheese doodles, chips or soda. I think there would be an all out revolt if I brought home only veggies, vegetarian meals, no snacks or soda. I know, kill me now!! The good thing is I'm rarely tempted to eat any of the junk. Usually my only treat is a small piece of chocolate, WW ice cream, or a little bit of popcorn.

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #399
araes2102
Mouseketeer

Quote:

cleaned out the snack cupboard to make room for healthier choices? Nope, can't get DF to stop buying the snacks... I just keep mine in a seperate spot!

added a steamer basket to your saucepan drawer?? Was just thinking yesterday how much I need one of these!

made room in a drawer for a new food scale? I have one, an older one, which I use all the time (keep it out on the counter even!), but I am working my way up to order a new one!

bought new knives to help you prep more fruits and veggies? We have pretty good knives!

dug out your favorite lunch sack to make it easier to bring your healthy lunch to work? Yep! (just need to make myself use it more!)

tossed out the processed junk (cereal, crackers, cookies) in lieu of healthier foods (apples, oranges, Lara bars)?? Hmm, still working on this... I do keep Atkins bars for quick snacks/meals...

invested in a special appliance like a Vitamix?? No, haven't found one I NEED yet (I don't usually buy things I don't NEED since we are on a tight budget. IN fact my Bodymedia armband was my one splurge for the year...

P.S. Our progress post was updated last night, please let me know if I missed you!

araes2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #400
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Quote:

cleaned out the snack cupboard to make room for healthier choices? Never had a snack cupboard...we used to buy it and eat it, no need for storage!!!!

added a steamer basket to your saucepan drawer?? Already had a steamer, but definitely using it more for vegetables and they taste so much better

made room in a drawer for a new food scale? Nope, mine lives on the worktop at all times!!

bought new knives to help you prep more fruits and veggies? Yes. my santuko knife is my best friend

dug out your favorite lunch sack to make it easier to bring your healthy lunch to work? Nope, I use ziplock bags.......always forget to bring the container home if I take something reuseable to work!

tossed out the processed junk (cereal, crackers, cookies) in lieu of healthier foods (apples, oranges, Lara bars)?? This has probably been our biggest change - I cook everything from scratch now.

My rice cooker has really been a great help

Success again today...just come home from class weigh-in and another pound gone...I won slimmer of the month for the second time!!! GO ME!!!

And seriously, if anyone does want my Chicken and potato bake recipe, you can PM me from tomorrow (yes, I get them baack tomorrow!) with your email address and I will gladly share....I also have a healthy butternut squash risotto recipe if anyone wants it!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #401
myweegirls
Caught the Disney Bug from my husband and am now hooked in my own right!

Hi everyone!

I have been so bad about writing in lately, but I've been reading and sending my weigh-ins! I made my April goal with last Friday's weigh-in, and now I'm trying for a little bonus mini-goal - getting back to the top of the WW maintenance range...

DH and I had a great vacation over DDs' spring break. While they were at Camp Grandma, we had a wonderful trip to FL and out on the Dream! Cruising without the kids was a little guilt-inducing at first, but ooooh we got over it. We enjoyed our day at Epcot before we sailed, especially the enhanced Flower & Garden Festival - the food booths were so great!

Got back and found a bunch of extra pounds somewhere along the way. Ack. So April's goal was to get back to the top of our WISH maintenance range. Fitness goal - well, I have this half marathon to run this Sunday... So I've been on my training plan - I even ran three times on vacation!

I'm looking forward to the half on Sunday; I made my fundraising goal, and I completed my training plan. This thing is gonna happen! I'll be proudly wearing my Red Sox running shirt in honor of the Boston attack victims. I lived there for years and still think of it as home base - it was so rough seeing the place turned upside down last week but so wonderful seeing all the great stories of help and comfort, too.

One other *slightly* bananas thing...I've signed up for Dopey at January's marathon weekend. Well, marathon *week* now, with all that. DH and I extended our stay and both signed up to go Dopey. I think I must be out of my ever-loving mind, but I'm going to do this thing. Should keep me on track for activity, at least!

I hope everyone's having a great month. I've been reading along faster than I'd like in a desperate attempt to stay caught up, so I'm sure I've missed lots of things. The rest of this week promises to be crazy, but I already know I'm in for May!

XO
Liz

ABD ~ 2013 (Backstage Magic) * AKL ~ 2010 * AKV ~ 2012, 2013, 2014 * Aulani ~ 2014 * BLT ~ 2011 * BC ~ 2010, 2014 * BWI ~ 2010, 2012 * BWV ~ 2011 * DCL ~ 2012 (Dream/PC 3.0 & Fantasy/PC 4.0), 2013 (Dream), 2014 (Dream), 2015 (Wonder) * DL Offsite ~ 2013 * GC ~ 2011, 2014 * GF ~ 2011 * Poly ~ 2009, 2010 * POFQ ~ 2010 * Royal Caribbean ~ 2013 (Oasis/DIS Cruise 1.0) * WL ~ 2013

myweegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #402
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Quote:
That is not a zillion left to go!! You are under 40 pounds to GOAL! That is AWESOME!!! I'm right there with ya, just about 10 pounds more than you, but I weigh Friday so maybe just 7 pounds more! I'm 5'8 and want to weigh 150 by Sept. 6th it is sooo doable!! Go for a bonus loss by the end of this month and you'll be seeing 170s sooner than you think!! Way to go!!

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #403
pjlla
<><

Morning all! Here is your QOTD for Thursday, April 25, 2013:

What are two of the BEST things about you? Please list one PHYSICAL attribute and one OTHER thing (could be a personality thing, your brains, etc).

Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #404
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
That is not a zillion left to go!! You are under 40 pounds to GOAL! That is AWESOME!!! I'm right there with ya, just about 10 pounds more than you, but I weigh Friday so maybe just 7 pounds more! I'm 5'8 and want to weigh 150 by Sept. 6th it is sooo doable!! Go for a bonus loss by the end of this month and you'll be seeing 170s sooner than you think!! Way to go!!
You are BOTH nearly there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myweegirls View Post
Hi everyone!

I have been so bad about writing in lately, but I've been reading and sending my weigh-ins! I made my April goal with last Friday's weigh-in, and now I'm trying for a little bonus mini-goal - getting back to the top of the WW maintenance range...

WONDERFUL!!!

DH and I had a great vacation over DDs' spring break. While they were at Camp Grandma, we had a wonderful trip to FL and out on the Dream! Cruising without the kids was a little guilt-inducing at first, but ooooh we got over it. We enjoyed our day at Epcot before we sailed, especially the enhanced Flower & Garden Festival - the food booths were so great!

So jealous! Glad you had such a wonderful trip!

Got back and found a bunch of extra pounds somewhere along the way. Ack. So April's goal was to get back to the top of our WISH maintenance range. Fitness goal - well, I have this half marathon to run this Sunday... So I've been on my training plan - I even ran three times on vacation!

I'm looking forward to the half on Sunday; I made my fundraising goal, and I completed my training plan. This thing is gonna happen! I'll be proudly wearing my Red Sox running shirt in honor of the Boston attack victims. I lived there for years and still think of it as home base - it was so rough seeing the place turned upside down last week but so wonderful seeing all the great stories of help and comfort, too.

Have a great time running your half!! Boston is proud to have your representation, I'm sure.

One other *slightly* bananas thing...I've signed up for Dopey at January's marathon weekend. Well, marathon *week* now, with all that. DH and I extended our stay and both signed up to go Dopey. I think I must be out of my ever-loving mind, but I'm going to do this thing. Should keep me on track for activity, at least!

I hope everyone's having a great month. I've been reading along faster than I'd like in a desperate attempt to stay caught up, so I'm sure I've missed lots of things. The rest of this week promises to be crazy, but I already know I'm in for May!

XO
Liz
Again, I am SO impressed you signed up for the whole "Dopey" experience! Please be SURE to write a trip report/running report!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
Success again today...just come home from class weigh-in and another pound gone...I won slimmer of the month for the second time!!! GO ME!!!

WOOHOOOO!!!

And seriously, if anyone does want my Chicken and potato bake recipe, you can PM me from tomorrow (yes, I get them baack tomorrow!) with your email address and I will gladly share....I also have a healthy butternut squash risotto recipe if anyone wants it!
I would love both recipes! I'll try to remember to PM, but it might be next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
The problem is I almost NEVER cook dinner. He's always home before me and knows that I usually work out as soon as I get home. He eats lunch around noon and I don't usually go until 2, so by 5 he's starving. He's not one for trying ANYTHING new, he just wants something quick and easy. I can honestly says he eats one of 4-5 meals every night: pasta (white) with ground beef, chicken parm that he makes with Tyson fillets, homemade pizza, or breaded chicken strips with hot sauce or take out Chinese. That's it. I mean that's REALLY it. And he pretty much refuses to eat left overs, not that there really ever is any. He also does all the grocery shopping, which may seem like a great thing (especially since I hate it!), but he goes for inexpensive as opposed to quality. (Heavy sigh...). He knows if I did it, there would be NO Oreos, cheese doodles, chips or soda. I think there would be an all out revolt if I brought home only veggies, vegetarian meals, no snacks or soda. I know, kill me now!! The good thing is I'm rarely tempted to eat any of the junk. Usually my only treat is a small piece of chocolate, WW ice cream, or a little bit of popcorn.
You are really up against a challenge. You are doing well resisting all of the junk.

During the first 3 years of my journey, DH was NOT on board with any kind of healthy eating. He was totally sedentary and overweight. Even though I made the meals and bought the groceries, he still ate JUNK (along with the healthier meals I made). He ate out for work on a pretty regular basis, so I had no control there. And his portions of everything were HUGE. He made himself a GIANT bowl of buttered popcorn (cooked in oil) nearly every single day.... along with gallons of Diet Coke. He was literally KILLING HIMSELF with food.

It made it VERY HARD for me to stay OP and eat healthy a lot of the time. His idea of a fun evening was pizza, beer, chips, and ice cream.

In some ways his accident (which started him on the weight loss journey) was a bit of a blessing in disguise. He eats SO MUCH HEALTHIER now, is a normal weight, has maintained that weight for about a year now and actually gets a BIT of exercise occasionally (although sadly is still pretty sedentary most of the time).

Anyhow.... somewhere along the way I needed to realize that I was NOT going to be able to change him. He had to want it for himself. And I had to want my weight loss for MYSELF. And so it went. He does say now, that my weight loss and weight maintenance did inspire him to realize that it could be done.... and it could be done without starving and while still enjoying food. So I'm pleased about that. And I'm not sure when/if he would have ever taken the initiative to lose the weight without the accident to spur things along. I'd like to think that he would have.

Best of luck.

Quote:
honestly no changes............ my family are snackers and love their chips and junk food........but they are active and all skinny........ ex my 17 years old son 6'1" and 150 lbs.............. i think what helped me is getting a job back in jan and i am not home to eat all day.............. i think i will need to think on some of these suggestions........and see what i come up with............
That actually makes me a bit sad. Just because your kids are super skinny now with great metabolism, doesn't mean that they should be eating junk on any regular basis. They are developing LIFELONG HABITS right now. My DS is tall and skinny as well and would probably love it if I let him have chips and soda every day.... but I don't. He knows that foods like that are occasional treats (although I would be lying if I didn't say he asks for them every week ). In our house the first snack offered is always fruit or veggies. DS hates MOST fruit, so that is hard. But he will eat unsweetened organic applesauce, so he has that nearly every day. And he doesn't mind bananas too much, so he gets a smoothie for breakfast several days a week with at least one whole banana in it. And if he really needs a snack and doesn't want either of those, he can have pretzels with salsa or hummus.

Do I occasionally buy a junk food treat?? Sure.... Oreos have been known to make an appearance here. But not weekly and certainly not daily. For a daily sweet treat I buy organic Clif bars (chocolate brownie is yummy), pre-sweetened yogurts (Stonyfield farms organic), the occasional homemade treats (when DH is inspired to make cookies I try to put about half in the freezer immediately), and I buy ice cream about once a month.

Please don't be offended by what I am saying here. I would just hate to see a "Second Generation" of BL WISHers here.... all of them saying "My Mom is an alum from this board.... now I need to lose 80 pounds."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsis1970 View Post
Well at our house there is def less snacks.. stuff like crackers, popcorn, cheese its, cookies, mixes for brownies and cakes are all gone.. we do have some chips but I am Ok at staying away from those.. I do buy a few things when DS is home so he can have them in his lunch box (he need not watch his what he eat at 6 foot and 150lbs) I do have WAY more veggies with dinners most night we have 2 veggies lean meat and the boys have a starch altho sometimes it's just the veggies and I make my Hubs eat them instead of a starch.. haaa - he is not a big veggie guy.. He isn't ready to really change but I've noticed lately he's not snacking as much (maybe cause they are missing )
Glad you are ditching the white flour junk.

Okay friends.... I've been up for an hour now and the tummy is rumbling. I've got my vegetable soup for dinner started (because I will be busy this afternoon). I prepped most of the veggies yesterday and sauteed the mushrooms this morning. Now I just have to defrost the homemade stock, season it, and toss in the veggies.

And I need to hang a load of clothes on the line. Today will FLY by and I have to leave the house a bit after noon to take DD's prom dress to the tailor and then run her to the dentist for a short visit before we head south to swim practice. And SOMEWHERE in there I need to figure out my clothes for this weekend and get them packed!! And make garden egg pie for the family to eat over the weekend! Guess I had better get out of this chair and get moving!

And I feel like SPRING has officially arrived because I slept with a few WINDOWS OPEN last night!!

TTYL....................P

Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #405
pjlla
<><

Just realizing that I haven't been answering my own QOTD!

Quote:

cleaned out the snack cupboard to make room for healthier choices? Keep the kids school snacks in one spot, DH's Atkins and low carb snacks in another, and still my occasional treats in another! If you are going to find junk in our house, it would most likely be with the school snacks.

added a steamer basket to your saucepan drawer?? Never owned one but I suppose I should.

made room in a drawer for a new food scale? YUP! Love my food scale. I don't leave it on the counter because I hate more stuff on my already-full counter tops.... but it is VERY easy to access.

bought new knives to help you prep more fruits and veggies? No, but my Mom has been great about buying me the occasional new paring knife for Christmas.

dug out your favorite lunch sack to make it easier to bring your healthy lunch to work? I've always been good about packing my lunches.... but now they are healthier.

tossed out the processed junk (cereal, crackers, cookies) in lieu of healthier foods (apples, oranges, Lara bars)?? I buy very few white flour snacks any more. Occasionally a box of Ritz crackers will appear or DS will ask for a "treat" like Oreos. But NO MORE Cheez-Its, saltines, white bread, etc. We ALWAYS have fresh fruit. I consider a bit of an "emergency" if we don't have apples, oranges, grapes, etc handy.

I received a very nice Cuisinart blender/food processor as a gift when DH was recovering from his accident and couldn't eat solid foods. I didn't actually need it much then, but I use it a lot now. And I FINALLY just tossed out my 20 year old wedding-gift blender. It hadn't died, but it was trying to! Would LOVE a Vitamix, but not ready to spend the $$. I did buy a juicer about a year ago or so. Don't use it every day, but I'm glad I have it.

In addition to everything listed above, I have become more organized with my menus and meal planning. My pantry shelf that used to hold mostly white flour pasta is now the home to my quinoa, whole wheat couscous, and my extensive collection of BEANS!

Quote:
Morning all! Here is your QOTD for Thursday, April 25, 2013:

What are two of the BEST things about you? Please list one PHYSICAL attribute and one OTHER thing (could be a personality thing, your brains, etc).

Physical..... probably go with my legs. I've always been blessed with fairly slim legs, even when I was much more overweight. But now, if I catch a glimpse of myself full-length, I usually notice that my legs are pretty slim...not particularly long, but that's okay.

Other..... so much harder. I'm going to go with the fact that I am fairly organized.

BBL to chat.................P

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: