Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyC View Post
Loving your reviews
We are going for 14 nights from the UK for the first time in Oct we have the QS plan so reading your reviews is helping me plan! I am making a list of all the best places in each park and I have made one character brekkie res as well. Can you recommend one table service restaurant I should book to pay OOP for one special dinner whilst we are there? I will be travelling with DD 14 and DS 8.

ooo that's a hard one! I guess be our guest would be special for your DD but for family fun I think Ohana is great for everyone!

Previous Trips: DLP 2006 (off site) WDW 2009 (POR & enclave suites) DLP 2010 (HNY) California 2011(off site) DLP 2012 (SL)
Hannikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #32
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Via Napoli - Italy Pavilion - Epcot

We arrived here on a saturday at 7pm and thankfully we had a reservation. The standby queue was huge!

We had originally planned to try the calamari but Adam wasn't feeling to well today so instead we move straight to Entree's

I'd already looked over the menu so had a pretty good idea of what to expect. We ordered a large pepperoni pizza to share.

It was HUGE

It may look like the topping is a little sparse but trust me, it was plenty!

The base was very thin and crispy, as it should be, and the cheese and tomato sauce delivered just the right amount of creamy and tangy to the mix. This pizza ranks very high in our "Pizza Chart" (yes we really have one, don't judge). It came in second as it wasn't quite as wonderful as our number one pizza from lombardi's. We managed just over half, and the rest came back to the room with us.

Having passed on the apps I was more than ready for dessert. I knew already that we had to try the Zeppole since everyone had said such wonderful things about them. but no... they had RUN OUT! I know! They only do 6 desserts and 3 of those are icecream, how can they be ‘out’ of something so crucial at 8pm?!?!

Disgusted by the lack of Zeppole we decided against the other desserts and got the bill.

SCORING
Atmosphere - 7/10 - Nice but loud! We were sat by the window at the front and that was noisy. I think nearer the kitchen was even worse!

Quality - 10/10 - What we had was amazing, I just wish there was more of it!

Presentation - 10/10 - Couldn't fault it, but then how many ways are there to present a piazza!

Service - 5/10 - Poor, we found our server rather dismissive throughout. He also almost screwed up my dining credits which I was not to pleased about :nonono:

Overall Experience 8/10 - Not a memorable dining experience but I think we would brave the average service and loud dining room to sample than yummy pizza again!

BEST DISH
THE ONLY DISh - The Pizza :D

COST
The bill came to $60 including tax & tip

Previous Trips: DLP 2006 (off site) WDW 2009 (POR & enclave suites) DLP 2010 (HNY) California 2011(off site) DLP 2012 (SL)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #33
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Salted Caramel - Karamell-Kuche - German Pavilion - Epcot

A late addition to my list, I'd seen these on various reports but never really considered it a "must do".

It got a little squished on the way home! The caramel itself was soft and chewy and a little bit saltier than I expected, even without the salt on top I was surprised by this. It looks like an overgrown chocolate but in fact it's the perfect size for a snack, any bigger and I think it would be a little too much.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the Flame Tree review. I had a giggle over your comparison of the baked beans to Heinz canned beans. After watching one too many episodes of East Enders I just had to try Heinz beans on toast. They were interesting.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #35
fallen_angel727
Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannikins View Post
A late addition to my list, I'd seen these on various reports but never really considered it a "must do".

It got a little squished on the way home! The caramel itself was soft and chewy and a little bit saltier than I expected, even without the salt on top I was surprised by this. It looks like an overgrown chocolate but in fact it's the perfect size for a snack, any bigger and I think it would be a little too much.
I'm joining in too...Always interested in what others think of the food!

I tried one of these last week and you are 100% correct in thinking they are the perfect snack size, and very yummy!!

1991 (offsite), 2000 (offsite), 2004 (offsite), 2009 (offsite - engagement trip!!), 2012 (POP), 2013 (POP), 2014 (POP)

fallen_angel727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #36
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Caramel Pecan Cluster @ Karamell-Küche, German Pavilion, Epcot

Caramel Pecan Cluster @ Karamell-Küche, German Pavilion, Epcot

(I'd been 'nibbling' before the photo, there were more nuts on the edge!)

This was the main reason for our visit to Karamell Kuche so after the brief distraction of the salted caramel I finally got my hands on one of these!

It was as good as I was expecting, lots of nuts, salty caramel and a big blob of chocolate on top. It was very messy to eat, not really one to share. It was also large! I ended up eating it over several days as it was far to sweet just to eat in one go.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #37
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Gourmet Hotdogs - Various

Gourmet Hotdogs - Various

There were various places I knew we could get a gourmet hotdog but one day while leaving the beauty and the beast show at HS, stomachs rumbling there really was only one option!

FairFax Fare!

I opted for the Pulled pork with coleslaw gourmet hotdog served with chips

MY first thought was how huge it was, my second thought was how on earth I was going to eat it!

Putting all lady like table manners aside I went for "stuff it in"

This was certainly a messy method but it worked wonders! The hotdog itself was very meaty and the bread was firm rather than fluffy, this was probably a good thing since the pulled pork would likely was caused the bread to go soggy otherwise.

There was a good mix of pulled pork and coleslaw on top and although I was worried it wouldn't mix well with the texture of the hotdog it was a very enjoyable meal, although I only managed 2 thirds of it in the end.

It was also a good use of a QS credit since you also got the chips, dessert and a BUCKET of drink. The dessert selection were either the standard chocolate cake or carrot cake but since you should try those at least once this is the place to do it!

While I was enjoying my Hotdog Adam was 'enjoying' the pulled pork sandwich

We both thought this was a very poor choice at this location. The sandwich wasn't overflowing with filling like my hotdog and the bread itself didn't taste very fresh. It comes with a side, either coleslaw or beans but it didn't seem 'enough' when alongside mine. I think it either needed fries or chips, I know at other locations the pulled pork sandwich comes with fries, but not here. Overall a disappointing choice

Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #38
Couchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannikins View Post

We arrived here on a saturday at 7pm and thankfully we had a reservation. The standby queue was huge!

We had originally planned to try the calamari but Adam wasn't feeling to well today so instead we move straight to Entree's

I'd already looked over the menu so had a pretty good idea of what to expect. We ordered a large pepperoni pizza to share.

It was HUGE

It may look like the topping is a little sparse but trust me, it was plenty!

The base was very thin and crispy, as it should be, and the cheese and tomato sauce delivered just the right amount of creamy and tangy to the mix. This pizza ranks very high in our "Pizza Chart" (yes we really have one, don't judge). It came in second as it wasn't quite as wonderful as our number one pizza from lombardi's. We managed just over half, and the rest came back to the room with us.

Having passed on the apps I was more than ready for dessert. I knew already that we had to try the Zeppole since everyone had said such wonderful things about them. but no... they had RUN OUT! I know! They only do 6 desserts and 3 of those are icecream, how can they be ‘out’ of something so crucial at 8pm?!?!

Disgusted by the lack of Zeppole we decided against the other desserts and got the bill.

SCORING
Atmosphere - 7/10 - Nice but loud! We were sat by the window at the front and that was noisy. I think nearer the kitchen was even worse!

Quality - 10/10 - What we had was amazing, I just wish there was more of it!

Presentation - 10/10 - Couldn't fault it, but then how many ways are there to present a piazza!

Service - 5/10 - Poor, we found our server rather dismissive throughout. He also almost screwed up my dining credits which I was not to pleased about :nonono:

Overall Experience 8/10 - Not a memorable dining experience but I think we would brave the average service and loud dining room to sample than yummy pizza again!

BEST DISH
THE ONLY DISh - The Pizza :D

COST
The bill came to $60 including tax & tip
Love the pizza here. When you go back try the calamari, it's very good

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #39
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Great pictures! I'm looking forward to seeing more!
happenin2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #40
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchy View Post
Love the pizza here. When you go back try the calamari, it's very good
oooo yes, it did look good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happenin2you View Post
Great pictures! I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #41
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Narcoossee's - Grand Floridian - Dinner

Narcoossee's - Grand Floridian - Dinner
I was really looking forward to this meal, mainly because I hoped to watch wishes from the verandah. Adam was looking forward to it as well, but mainly for the lobster and steak combo!

This was the meal we'd picked to celebrate our anniversary, 10 years together. So I started the celebrations off with a cocktail, A frozen margarita to be exact.

It was a strong one, much more so than the ones we were used to in the parks so be warned, I managed it though :D

Adam wasn't in a cocktail mood, either that or nothing came in a girlie enough glass! so he went with a bottled beer

Once we had ordered the bread service arrived

The bread was warm but nothing really special. The butter however was very delicious.

Adam was saving room for his lobster tail so I was going solo on the apps. I went with the cheese plate

It looks like a small plate but it was just enough for an app, with just the right portion of each cheese for you to appreciate the flavour combinations on offer. The Bayley Hazen Blue, with it's drizzle of honey was my favourite

The mains were served quickly afterwards.

Adam, as expected, had gone for the lobster with the strip.

We knew that the lobster tails were frozen but that didn't make them chewy as I had expected, still a pretty good lobster tail even if not fresh. The strip was standard fair but a little rarer than we had requested. I took a particular liking to the creamy potatoes this dish came with so those soon made their way to my plate :D

I went with the fillet on it's own. I had been expecting this to be served with potatoes and green beans as I'd seen on other dishes, but instead I got this.

I have no idea what 'that' is. Despite many internet searches I can't find a description or a breakdown of what it is, if anyone knows I would love to know!I 'think' it was a risotto... but I can't be sure, it could be lumpy mash! Either way I wasn't keen. The reduction was very harsh and I disliked the aftertaste. I managed all my fillet and Adam's potatoes but left most of everything else.

For dessert Adam opted for the Coconut & Chocolate Creme Brulee.

this was very rich and creamy with a strong taste of coconut, which we liked. It was a little too rich to finish though.

I went for the signature dessert, the almond crusted cheesecake

unfortunately it didn't live up to it's hype for me. It felt like it had just come from the freezer, the almonds having that slightly frozen edge to them. I know they make the desserts in advance but this one felt like it hadn't set long enough, I like my cheesecake at room temp! I ended up eating all of the fruit and cream but little of the cheesecake. Eating the accompaniment instead of the headliner, that's never a good thing! On a positive note the piece of cheesecake I did try was creamy and light.

I don't think my reaction was all the desserts fault though, I was rather full!

Interestingly the cheese plate is also on the dessert menu so if I had waited I could have had that instead, and probably would have enjoyed the meal overal more, oh well I know for next time!

SCORING
Atmosphere - 10/10 - Lovely! the restaurant was a little dark but the option of viewing wishes from the verandah made up for it

Quality - 9/10 - Even though we disliked some of it the quality of the food itself couldn't be questioned

Presentation - 10/10 - Couldn't fault it

Service - 8/10 - ok, the server was very helpful but it felt forced and a chore at times

Overall Experience 9/10 - A nice meal but some bad choices on our part let it down

BEST DISH
The cheese plate

COST
The bill came to $203.08 including tax & tip

Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #42
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Boulangerie Les Halles - France Pavilion - Epcot

Boulangerie Les Halles - France Pavilion - Epcot
We ate at the old Boulangerie back in 2009 so I was eager to return, mainly to get the Jambon Beurre again as it was so yummy and secondly to try some of the desserts I'd heard about

[/URL]

Jambon Beurre

The sandwich was just as good as I remember, the bread being the highlight. It's not the best Jambon Beurre I've ever had (that honor goes to Épicerie Boulud, NYC) but as an escape from the heavy fat laden food we'd eaten so far this was a VERY welcome change!

Napoleon

I had originally gazed in wonder at the flaky masterpiece that once commanded attention at the old bakery but was disappointed when earlier in the year it was replaced with a more generic version found elsewhere on property. Nevertheless I decided I should still give it a try!

I was surprised at how flaky it still was and the cream inside was AMAZING! I don't care if this is no longer unique. The more places you can get it the better!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #43
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Liberty Inn - America Pavilion - Epcot

Liberty Inn - America Pavilion - Epcot

I had near really considered eating at this pavilion, after all we were staying for 2 weeks in a HUGE american pavilion, there were lots of places to sample the cuisine. However we found ourselves in need of a burger while in world showcase and this seemed the obvious choice.

1/3 Angus Smokehouse Burger

Served with BBQ pulled pork, fried onion rings and American cheese

ok so it looks messy but this really was a pretty good burger. The bun held firm against the juicy pulled pork and the patty itself was superior to those we;d had elsewhere on property

Smores Brownie

ok, I know what your thinking, that's a brownie with a turd on top, be seriously, this was one tasty brownie. The centre contained marshmallow and although the brownie was a little dry the frosting made up for it.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #44
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Build your own treat @ Goofy’s Candy Co, Downtown Disney

Build your own treat @ Goofy’s Candy Co, Downtown Disney
This was the treat I made last night as a morning surprise for Adam. Here's the 'unveiling'

He couldn't believe how big it was! Head sized!

When they had first made the treat I had thought the starting crispy base looked rather small but once it had been dipped in milk chocolate a few times, covers in m&m's and drizzled in white chocolate it was a bit of a mouthful!

We tried sharing it but this in itself is rather difficult as it's not easy to cut into! we gave up and just took bites each in the end!

The crispy cake was lovely and gooey, covered in melted marshmellow. I couldn't really distingish the milk from the white chocolate but both were creamy and melt in the mouth. I'm glad I picked the m&m's they made a colourful treat and tasted rather good to.

Overall an amazing treat. I wish I could make these myself!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #45
Terpgirl79
Mouseketeer

Can't wait for more!!!
Terpgirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: