Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #16
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Can't wait!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Wolfgang Puck Express

Wolfgang Puck Express
We visited the marketplace location on our first night believing this to have the best selection available.

We were on the dining plan and so we chose a main, dessert and a drink from the options available.

We had a pepperoni pizza with no mushrooms

This was a decent sized pizza, nothing to huge and had a nice crispy base throughout. Even without the mushrooms there was plenty of topping

We also had the bacon wrapped Meatloaf

This is a firm favourite here and on other disney food forums and we were eager to try it. I have to say I was a little disappointed. The bacon was fatty rather than crispy as I had hoped and the sauce and meatloaf were very rich and overpowering. The onions were nice but they went soggy very quickly. The highlight for me was the mash potato, that probably says more about the rest of the dish rather than the outstanding quality of the potatoes :D

For dessert we shared a cheesecake and a creme brulee

Both were nice and very similar but I favoured the brulee. The consistancy was buttery and the ratio of crispy top to creamy inside was perfect. I cleared the bowl :D

SCORING
Atmosphere - 8/10 - Very noisy in the main dining room but quieter and more relaxed in the conservatory section

Quality - 7/10 - A little hit and miss, maybe I was expecting to much

Presentation - 10/10 - For a quick service location the presentation was impressive

Service - 10/10 - Our server was very attentive and kept our drinks refilled for the entire visit

Overall Experience 9/10 - I will definitely keep this on the must do list. I might just try something a little less rich next time.

BEST DISH
The brulee.

COST
The bill came to $46.55 including tax, not including tip.

Previous Trips: DLP 2006 (off site) WDW 2009 (POR & enclave suites) DLP 2010 (HNY) California 2011(off site) DLP 2012 (SL)
Hannikins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Yak & Yeti Counter Service (Anandapur Local Food Cafes)

Yak & Yeti Counter Service (Anandapur Local Food Cafes)

There were two counter service restaurants we wanted to try in Ak so we split up and went to both. I chose to go to Yak and Yeti

I ordered the sweet and sour chicken with rice

I really enjoyed this meal, although they do give you far too much! The chicken was crispy and hadn't gone soggy so it obviously hadn't been sitting long. My only negative was that you really do need something to pour it out onto. I ended up eating lots of chicken and was to full by the time I reached the rice

For dessert I had the frozen lemonade and for a drink a BUCKET of iced tea.

The frozen lemonade is the usual stuff you find in carts around the parks. It is a worthwhile option though since it's great to carry round in the heat afterwards

SCORING
Atmosphere - 6/10 - Can't really comment as I didn't eat here. I've given it a lower score though as there weren't any seats even if I had wanted one!

Quality - 10/10 - Very good quality and a bargain for counter service

Presentation - 10/10 - great 'takeout' box style

Service - 10/10 - Very quick and speedy service once you'd ordered

Overall Experience 10/10 - One I would certainly return to

COST
The bill came to $17.14 including tax

Previous Trips: DLP 2006 (off site) WDW 2009 (POR & enclave suites) DLP 2010 (HNY) California 2011(off site) DLP 2012 (SL)
Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Flame Tree BBQ - Animal Kingdom

Flame Tree BBQ - Animal Kingdom

The second of the quick service places we wanted to try in AK.
Adam couldn't decided which he wanted so we went with both!

Chicken and rib combo

The meat is very pink in colouration but this is down to the smoking rather than it being undercooked. The ribs were meaty and the chicken wasn't too dry. The smoke flavour is VERY strong in both the ribs and the chicken. Much more so than anything I've had in the UK. Adam really liked it but it was too strong for me.

The coleslaw was nothing special but the beans were, different :/

I never have beans in the US and expect heinz but I really wasn't a fan of the pulled pork in the beans, it was not a pleasant texture for me.

For dessert we had a chocolate mousse and a bucket of coke

The mousse looked cute but basic, it was however very tasty, not as refreshing as the frozen lemonade but it was a nice change to the standard chocolate cake at other parks.

SCORING
Atmosphere - 7/10 - A nice area to eat in the shade but the birds were annoying!

Quality - 8/10 - Nice but not for me.

Presentation - 9/10 - As expected

Service - 10/10 - Very quick

Overall Experience 7/10 - It was nice to try but I don't think we'd eat here again

COST
The bill came to $19.90 including tax

Old 05-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Cream Cheese & Jalapeño Pretzel @ Snack Cart, Animal Kingdom

Cream Cheese & Jalapeño Pretzel

One of the best snacks of the trip. If I had spare credits this is what I would have purchased!

We decided to have one each for breakfast. I was nervous about getting the one with Jalapeños this early in the day but I shouldn't have worried. It does have a heat to it but it builds slowly to a warm tingle rather than being harsh on the throat.

Because we went first thing in the morning they were just being delivered and they were very fresh. The bread was soft and chewy and the ratio of cheese inside was perfect.

MORE PLEASE :D

Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #21
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Looking forward to seeing more, great job so far.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

I'm in!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #23
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Im in. Great reviews so far. Im excited to see whether you actually got to all of those places. Also very interested in the I drive places since we might be offsite for at least part of our trip.

kayrosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #24
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
Looking forward to seeing more, great job so far.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
I'm in!
thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrosek View Post
Im in. Great reviews so far. Im excited to see whether you actually got to all of those places. Also very interested in the I drive places since we might be offsite for at least part of our trip.
ahh you'll have to wait and see ;P

Old 06-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Grey Goose Slush - France Pavilion -Epcot

This was very different from what I was expecting. Since I knew this was a premixed 'slushie' drink I had wrongly assumed it would be rather tame, I was wrong! It packs a very big punch and was a lot more alcoholic than I was expecting! the lemon flavour is very zesty and fresh but doesn't become overwhelming.

It was also larger than I expected, it looks small but it was piled high and took an age to drink, I think I'd be better with a straw next time!

I would definitely grab one of these again next time, it was yummy and well worth the price of $9.34 that we paid

Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #26
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Sanaa - Kidani Village - Dinner

Sanaa - Kidani Village - Dinner

We were both really looking forward to this meal and I'd booked an early dinner reservation so we might get the chance to see some animals, we weren't disappointed!

As we were on the dining plan we were entitled to a non alcoholic beverage each. This included the speciality drinks so we ordered one of each to try

Lemonade with wildberry foam

The lemonade was the standard you find throughout the resorts so the 'speciality' was the foam (foam seems to be a fad throughout the parks at the moment!). I'm unsure what 'wildberry' is but the texture was odd and not for us.

Mango Lassi

This was amazing! It wasn't the best drink to chose here since you often need a drink you can 'glug' with spicy food but it was a nice change. It's very thick like a smoothie but the yoghurt gives it a creamy taste as well. YUM!

We started the meal with the bread service. We had one of each bread and a selection of sauces

The breads were: Traditional Naan, Garlic Ginger Naan, Spiced Naan, Onion Kulcha and Pappadam.

For the dips we chose: Cucumber Raita, Mango Chutney, Coconut Chutney, Garlic Pickle & Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus

The Naan breads were very soft and flavourful, I just wish our server had explained which was which as they all looked the same. The best dips were the Cucumber Raita and the two chutneys. The hummus lacked any flavour and the garlic pickle was not pleasant.

Knowing that the bread service would be very filling we passed on the apps and moved straight to the entrees

Today's Sustainable Fish - with shrimp and scallops served with seasonal vegetables in a light curry broth.

Today's fish was grouper, which proved to be a meaty white fish very similar to haddock. It was served on a bed of beautiful vegetables which were crispy and sweet, I especially loved the sugarsnap peas and juicy tomatoes.

The broth wasn't overly spicy, it just had a very light kick to it which went well with the fish.

The downfall of the dish were the scallops, they were chewy and very overcooked. I should have sent it back but the rest of the dish was so lovely I didn't want to give up my plate!

I can't comment on the shrimp as I don't eat them (I forgot to exclude them from my order!)

Spicy Durban Chicken & Shrimp with Green Curry Sauce served with Basmati rice

The chicken part of the dish was the best part, it wasn't very spicy by my standards but it was still pleasant. The green curry on the other hand was awful. I tried the sauce and wasn't keen, the texture was 'lumpy'. Adam also said the shrimp had a strange taste (he suffered a bad stomach for a few days after this meal, we are blaming the shrimp!). It's very difficult to eat in the various pots so I'd recommend pouring them out on the plate as soon as you have room!

We probably would have passed on dessert if it wasn't for the dining plan but since they were included and I wanted to try the chai cream we gave it a good try!

Dessert Trio - Chocolate Cake, Tropical Fruit Kulfi, and Chai Cream

As you can see I made a slight change :P

The chai cream was everything I had hoped, Spicy warmth with creamy goodness. I could have eaten this all day :D

The kulfi was not forgotten! It was like eating frozen Lassi. I could have eaten the larger version of this quite happily!

Warm Rice Pudding served with Mango, Pistachio Tuile,
and Cinnamon Cream

This used to be served with ice cream but now it comes with cream.

I don't know what to say about this other than it was awful

The rice was dry and even with the cream poured over it it wasn't enough, we managed a few spoonfuls and the tuile and left the rest, not good!

SCORING
Atmosphere - 6/10 - VERY cold. I was warm after a day in the parks but I sat shivering for the whole meal. I couldn't wait to leave

Quality - 7/10 - A little hit and miss, some things like the fish and chai cream were amazing while other like the scallops and green curry with shrimp were awful

Presentation - 10/10 - Everything looked amazing even if the taste was hit and miss on some

Service - 8/10 - Our server was helpful and efficient even if her recommendation was a miss for us

Overall Experience 7/10 - Although I think we would return if we had a spare day I don't think it would be top of our list, I wish we'd gone with Boma instead looking back. I am glad we did it the once though

BEST DISH
The Chai Cream!

COST
The bill came to $85.88 including tax, not including tip.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #27
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

Butterfinger Cupcake @ Starring Rolls, HS

Butterfinger Cupcake @ Starring Rolls, HS

This is a BEAST of a cupcake, one shared between two is more than enough!

I had thought the top section would be soft to cut into but it's covered in a hard layer of chocolate so don't try!

If the cake, butterfinger and butter cream wasn't enough it's then filled with chocolate goo as well! This has to be the most sickly thing we had all holiday (and we had butterbeer!), and guess what? WE LOVED IT, every last sweet sickly bit of it!

I think it's a one time thing though, now it's 'done' I think the peanut butter one is next on the list!

Old 06-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #28
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

great start, thanks for sharing.

Cant wait to see more
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #29
Hannikins
Mouseketeer

thanks! more on the way!

Old 06-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
AllyC
Earning My Ears

Loving your reviews
We are going for 14 nights from the UK for the first time in Oct we have the QS plan so reading your reviews is helping me plan! I am making a list of all the best places in each park and I have made one character brekkie res as well. Can you recommend one table service restaurant I should book to pay OOP for one special dinner whilst we are there? I will be travelling with DD 14 and DS 8.
AllyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: