Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
OhioDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Try the Seattle Bites food tour. My wife and I did it last year and it was great. Pike's Place on a weekend is crazy busy and during a holiday will be SUPER CRAZY busy. The food tour gets you front of the line access to some of the best dining choices in the market. I'd also suggest Island Adventures Whale Watching up in Anacortes, WA (about an hour north of Seattle). It's an easy drive with great scenery. On one whale watching trip I saw probably 50 whales! Plus you get to cruise the San Juan islands. Highly recommended!
OhioDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
ICan'tWait
Mouseketeer

The City Pass is a good idea. When we have out of town guests we frequently get the City Pass. Ivars is a good touristy food place. The ferry is popular with our out of town guests as well (if you don't get the City Pass and do the harbor tour).
ICan'tWait is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #18
jmqidoc
Earning My Ears

Hey there.. I would really suggest doing a Duck tour.. http://www.ridetheducksofseattle.com/ some people find it kinda cheezy but honestly I thought it would be cheezy but found it to be the best tour.. I laughed and saw parts of Seattle I never saw before.. The Duck goes out onto the water.. lots of fun.. if you have never done a Duck tour.. go for it.. you get a tour of Seattle.. from across the street of the Space Needle past Pikes Market.. to the Stadium.. tour past Starbucks.. giggles and jokes along the way
Old 03-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

I also liked the Underground tour.

We went to the Museum of Flight (it is near the airport, as opposed to "in" Seattle. And - we also went out to Snoqualmie Falls - which were beautiful.

We also went to a winery tour, somewhere on the way from Seattle to Snoqualmie Falls.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
DizneyDogs
Mouseketeer
Scrapbooking Diva

I also recommend riding the ducks it was a lot of fun.

We also liked the Chihuly Garden and Glass at the base of the Space Needle.

For dining we enjoyed the Purple Door and Ivars.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #21
DawnM
Dawn

I was going to suggest the Ethiopian place near Pike Place while you are there, but I see it has closed down.

Pike Place has loads of great places to eat in it and around it, so you won't lack for food there.

Definitely hit an Ivars while you are in Seattle.

My favorite restaurant around Seattle is Shamianas, a Pakistani/Indian place, but it isn't really close to anything sight seeing wise, so that may not be convenient.

Pick up some Pike Place Market Spice Tea at PP!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneze View Post
How about some places to eat? Any suggestions?

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #22
atheneze
Earning My Ears

Wow. Thanks everyone for all of your great suggestions. I will show this thread to my husband so we can plan accordingly.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #23
Tribe0701
Florida

Beachers cheese right across the street from pikes place market has amazing Mac n cheese, along with lots of other great things.

The "first" Starbucks is right there also, it's nothing special but it's the only place to get first Starbucks mugs and cups, so if you are a Starbucks kinda person it might be worth the very long line.

There is an amazing gelato shop right around the corner from the market, I can't for the life of me remember the name, if you walk up the hill from the main corner of the market and make a right at the first street it's on your right.

Also visit the most disgusting tourist site ever......the gum wall. It's down in a little ally from the market, there are signs, but you could just ask someone. It is an alley with the walls covered in used chewing gum, it's so gross, but just one of those gotta see it to believe it things.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
v.t.
DIS Veteran

Just a warning, if you have severe allergies or asthma, be careful on the underground tour, a lot of dirt and dust.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.t. View Post
Just a warning, if you have severe allergies or asthma, be careful on the underground tour, a lot of dirt and dust.
Good advice, but I have Asthma due to dust and mold allergies and I did fine. So, if your allergies are not severe you should be OK. I think a good judge would be, can you go into an unfinished basement for any length of time?

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #26
MEM
DIS Veteran

I just came back from a whirlwind business trip to Seattle (5 days including 2 travel days). I took DD16 with me and she played tourist while I worked. We did have an early breakfast at Daily Dozen Donuts one morning at Pike Place Market as well as lunch at Pike Place Chowder. I can highly recommend the seared scallop chowder there - DD loved the New England style chowder (we are Bostonians, after all). She went to the EMP and while she enjoyed it, felt it can be done in 2 hours or less. She enjoyed the horror/sci fi section of the museum more than the music part - they had an original Dalek from the Doctor Who series that she thought was "wicked cool". We did take the monorail to the Space Needle and the Chihuly Garden and Glass. I can highly, highly recommend the Chihuly exhibit/museum - I felt it was stunning, especially the garden and how the live plants complemented his glass art. The Space Needle was okay - we waited until sunset which was quite beautiful. If you have been to the Tower of the Americas in San Antonio the Space Needle pales in comparison but its still a must-do. Some colleagues of mine were able to extend their stay a few days and took a ferry to Bainbridge Island and a cruise to Vancouver, BC. One of them also did the Underground Tour and enjoyed it. They ate at a very high-end restaurant on the waterfront called "Aqua" - too rich for my wallet! I'd love to go back to Seattle and do all the things I missed.

Last edited by MEM; 04-02-2013 at 06:59 AM. Reason: to correct the name of an exhibit
MEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #27
Misskitty3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneyDogs View Post
I also recommend riding the ducks it was a lot of fun.

We also liked the Chihuly Garden and Glass at the base of the Space Needle.

For dining we enjoyed the Purple Door and Ivars.
At Pike Place Market there is a restaurant called The Pink Door. There is also a restaurant called Purple in Seattle (and a few Purples on the eastside too). Both restaurants are great and you can check them out on line.

We love any of the Tom Douglas restaurants (Lola for breakfast and Serious Pie for pizza are especially good).

Ray's Boathouse in Ballard has amazing views and great seafood.

Top Pot donuts are really, really good!

Wild Ginger is our favorite Asian restaurant.

Molly Moon's has wonderful ice cream.

Paseo has amazing Cuban sandwiches but you will need to stand in line to get one!

Disneyland: June '13 - Hojo's.....May '12 - BWPPI..... May ’09 - Hojo’s….Oct ‘07 – Grand Californian….Nov ‘06 – Paradise Pier.…June ’04 – Disneyland Hotel.…June ‘96 Anaheim Hilton…. July ‘95 - Carousel Inn….Aug ’92 – Carousel Inn…July ’90 - Embassy Suites…July ’89 - Anaheim Hilton…May ’88 - Penny Sleeper…May ’87 - Penny Sleeper…April ’77 (?)…June ’76 - Disneyland Hotel….June ‘73 First trip ever to Disneyland!!!

WDW: July ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center.…April ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center….July ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center….April ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center
Misskitty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #28
atheneze
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all these suggestions. We are getting excited and our itinerary is getting full as we want to do alot of things from your suggestions.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #29
Tamar
If you're not going to snort, what's the point of laughing??

Another vote for Chihuly! I suggest going to Trip Advisor or Open Table to find restaurant reviews. My favorite restaurants are SeaStar and Crow, but there are many places to choose from.
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #30
Tamar
If you're not going to snort, what's the point of laughing??

By the way, car rentals out of SEATAC have been crazy expensive for several months. Over $100/day. You might want to keep an eye on rates starting now and if you see a good rate, snap it up!
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: