Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
I'm not excusing the boy's parents for not watching him but if they had lifeguards it wouldn't have happened either. .
There is no way to know if it would or would not have happened if lifeguards were there.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post

I think we all need to be careful about facts and not what we pick up from other posts. For instance, I hadn't seen anything about the parents being paged. I had read they were in the area and came running.

I wouldn't judge anyone.
Your kinda right but when one or more disers who are on the ship that this happened and in the area when this happened. They might have been in the area never said they was not on the deck just not at the pool when it happened. I also read other places hat the parents got their when they was working on the kid that to me dose not wind like they was close. May he I got the paging then part mixed up but I sticking to they was not their when it happened and came after they was working in him.

I was just trying to point out it not always fair to blame Disney not saying the parents need to be blamed it could happened if they was near him in the same pool or if their was 10 life guards watching. It could of been less then a minute and someone found him.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by disney david; 03-31-2013 at 12:42 PM.
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Article states that the entire family left in their swimsuits to follow the boy. Honestly if they weren't at the pool, why were they all in swimsuits? I could see that maybe an excited youngster ran ahead of them to get in the pool first so that maybe they were a little behind him but I don't think they were in the dining hall in their swim trunks.

Let's give them some credit. Not every parent is negligent......
Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetR3 View Post
Article states that the entire family left in their swimsuits to follow the boy. Honestly if they weren't at the pool, why were they all in swimsuits? I could see that maybe an excited youngster ran ahead of them to get in the pool first so that maybe they were a little behind him but I don't think they were in the dining hall in their swim trunks.

Let's give them some credit. Not every parent is negligent......
No one said the parent was negligent untill they investigate to see what happened either is Disney in this case. Their in their bathing suits because their on a cruise ship. They could of been in the adult pool at the bar dose not mean they was close most news story's reporting they for their after they started giving him CPR. We won't know where they was or more info until they do an investage the issue and until they can talk to the parents to see where they was when this happened.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #20
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

The news said that the parents came running when they saw them working on their child. The child must have been out of sight at least several minutes. Who would not miss their 4 yr. old at a pool? That age should never be away from you when near water especially, or in crowds. Hope he is OK.

Life guards are never at pools 100% of the time (any I've been at anyway). That's why they have signs stating that, and to swim at your own risk. Anyway, life guards, or not, they are not baby sitters. Parents have the responsibility of watching their own children.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
There is no way to know if it would or would not have happened if lifeguards were there.
Exactly, last summer our brand new spanking water park (well, not a big grand thing..pool, zero depth entry, water play structures, deep end, slides, diving boards), had a drowning, and there were lifeguards on duty of a 3 or 4 or 5 year old child.

A drowning can happen in as little as one (1) inch of water.
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #22
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
Your kinda right but when one or more disers who are on the ship that this happened and in the area when this happened. They might have been in the area never said they was not on the deck just not at the pool when it happened. I also read other places hat the parents got their when they was working on the kid that to me dose not wind like they was close. May he I got the paging then part mixed up but I sticking to they was not their when it happened and came after they was working in him.

I was just trying to point out it not always fair to blame Disney not saying the parents need to be blamed it could happened if they was near him in the same pool or if their was 10 life guards watching. It could of been less then a minute and someone found him.
The blaming of the parents has already begun which is common. I think it gives people comfort to think the parents did something wrong because if the parents are at fault then a terrible accident like this couldn't happen to their family. Believe me, I have seen first hand that isn't true.

Last edited by Allison; 03-31-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #23
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The blaming of the parents has already begun which is common. I think it gives people comfort to think the parents did something wrong because if the parents are at fault then a terrible accident like this couldn't happen to their family. Beleieve me, I have seen first hand that isn't true.
Yes and it's EXACTLY what these parents do not need right now. What if they come back here (yes, they could be DIS'ers) and see all the negative comments?

We weren't there and we have no idea what really happened. Thoughts and prayers to the family.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetR3 View Post

Yes and it's EXACTLY what these parents do not need right now. What if they come back here (yes, they could be DIS'ers) and see all the negative comments?

We weren't there and we have no idea what really happened. Thoughts and prayers to the family.
Your right I was just saying what being reported and that it. It a sad thing that happen all that matters is if the kid will be okay.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #25
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The blaming of the parents has already begun which is common. I think it gives people comfort to think the parents did something wrong because if the parents are at fault then a terrible accident like this couldn't happen to their family. Believe me, I have seen first hand that isn't true.
Yes it has for right now until we know more we shouldn't blame the parents or Disney. I think what bothering people not the fact this happened and yes it an accident is that the parents was not near and came after.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #26
ellie'smom
Mouseketeer

Keeping the child and his parents in my prayers tonight.
ellie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #27
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

A drowning can happen in 90 seconds.
I hope he's ok.
Sunnywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
luke
Señor Mejor

I just heard about this, we were on this cruise and literally knew nothing about this until seeing it on here.

Hope he is ok

Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #29
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

The boy's parents have been posting on facebook. He's still alive, slowly improving, but having a lot of issues with mucus and fluids in his chest, and a fever that comes and goes (he had a lung infection for a while). All they have said about the incident itself is:
Quote:
Chase had an accident in the pool while on vacation.
And, as others have said, that's all we really need to know about that.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #30
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Thanks for the update, sayhello. Wishing Chase a full recovery.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: