Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

A fruit basket would be a good gift idea.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
lady9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueledbycoffee View Post
Who doesn't love a yummy treat?!

Thinking about your son's story, how about an autographed baseball from your son?! It would be something unique & part of their story.
Thank you for all the suggestions, they are great. I love the idea of an autographed baseball from my DS. He can write a short thank you on it. We'll bring or send an edible treat that day as well. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't make her feel awkward if I sent something. I think an edible arrangement will be great so the entire office can enjoy it.
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

Last summer I woke up feeling bad with a fever. If it had been flu season I'd have probably just tried to wait it out. And I'd be dead.

12 hours later I went to the hospital by ambulance. My BP was 40/30. I spent the next week on life support with e coli sepsis. All of my organs were shutting down, and I was not expected to live. The fatality rate for older people with sepsis is well over 50%.

This hospital and the doctors truly did save my life.

My husband brought the staff donuts and treats the entire time I was there. We live just a few blocks from the hospital and have taken stuff over there a few times.

The staff was so shocked to see me as a "normal" person. I ballooned up over 40 pounds when my organs were shutting down so they would never have recognized me.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
bushdianee
I had a water fun day planned
I tend to buy way too many t-shirts when I visit WDW

When I was going through surgeries for cancer at the age of 21 my dad knew of someone who baked and decorated cakes. He had her make up a couple thanking the nurses and hospital staff when I was finally released after 24 days.
On another note, my family received something unusual from a doctor. My parents had seen the same doctor for several years and really liked him. He took care of both of them through many issues. My mom used to take trays of cookies or boxes of candy for holidays. She always took some for the staff and a smaller seperate one for the doctor. The doctor had cancer himself and retired about 2 years ago. When my Mom passed away in July we were shocked to receive a card and a very generous check from him. It allowed us to make a sizable donation to a medical organization in her memory. Sadly I just read yesterday that the doctor has now passed away.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
basketrn
Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
I am a Nurse Practitioner and I agree with above. A yummy treat that can be shared with the office staff is great. A personal note is the best!

We entered into medicine because it is what we love, but we are doing our job. It is always nice to know when someone appreciates a job well done
I am a NP too and agree with this one
1986 - Off site, 6/2003 - CSR, 6/2005 - FW, 4/2006 - CBR, 8/2006 - SSR, 10/2006 - BWV, 4/2007 -SSR, 10/2007 - VWL, 4/2008 - SSR, 5/2009 - DCL Wonder & SSR, 10/2009 - SSR, 6/2010 - AKV, 12/2010 - SSR, 3/2011 - AKV/BCV & Dream, 12/2011 - DL, 6/2012 - BCV/Dream/AKV, 1/2013 - SSR, 9/2013 - OKW, 6/2014 - Wonder to Alaska, 10/2014 - AKV, 3/2015 - OKW, 10/12105 - DCL Magic

basketrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #21
Andrea
DIS Veteran
I couldnt decide which one to do first, come check here or the coupons
The Tag Fairy thinks Andrea rocks too!

Food!!!! We had patients bring us all kinda of different foods sack lunches etc....
Old 03-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
DawnM
Dawn

The notes are what really make a difference. The personal thank you and telling her how much she meant to you is more important than any gift.

My father still remembers the heart felt thank yous he received throughout the years. He is a retired surgeon.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
I gave the surgeon a thank you note, a picture of our family because I wanted him to remember not just did he save my life, he also made sure my dh had a wife and my 3 ds had a mom. (I wrote that in the thank you note)

I also gave a cookie platter from the bakery for him and the staff

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #23
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomom View Post
I think a heartfelt thank you and some treats for her office would be great! Glad to hear your son is doing so well!!!
When DD5 had a serious reaction to a peanut butter cookie, we ran to the nearest doctor's office we could find and begged them to see her. They did and quickly reversed the reaction. The next week, DH got a party-size sandwich platter from Subway and took it to them and thanked them in person.

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool
vettechick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
PrincessCin
Earning My Ears

When our long time pediatrician Dr. Smith moved to another state, I purchased a picture frame and had it engraved with "The Smith Family". I thought it was something he and his family would enjoy.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #25
scoutie
DIS Veteran

With my last high risk pregnancy, my OB and her nursing staff really had gone out of their way to take good care of me and my unborn baby, so I sent two dozen specially made cupcakes. They gushed about them. Here's the company I ordered from (not likely they are local to you, but just wanted to give you an example). http://www.foiledcupcakes.com/

I'm glad your son is ok! What a scary ordeal.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #26
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

When I was done with the treatment at my oncologist's office, I sent a letter to the office manager detailing the extraordinary care that I'd gotten from everyone from the doc to his research nurse, the onco nurses, the receptionist and the phlebotomist. It was a couple of months till I went back for a follow-up and every single one of those people that I bumped into in the office told me how much the letter meant to them.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #27
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

A number of years ago I had a pretty serious foot surgery.

As a kind of thank you, I sent the doctor $22,500.00
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #28
2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
A number of years ago I had a pretty serious foot surgery.

As a kind of thank you, I sent the doctor $22,500.00
hey me too! only mine was worth closer to $35,000

Seriously, we have several persons in various medical fields in our family and each of them go on & on every time they get a note, or picture.. and of course, who doesn't like treats

DH ME
DS#1 13 DS#2 10

Lots of Magical Memories between 1999 - 2012
Maybe another visit in 2013 ? I can only hope!
2disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #29
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I have a team of about 10 doctors (well now 14...they just added another 4)

But we do thank you cards and food. Homemade treats go over very very well.

I am very close with a couple of my doctors where it's at the point that I don't even need a reason to bring them food, I just happen to have extra when baking so I bring it to them if I have an appointment.

Some things ive made are:
Peppermint patties
Chocolate covered pretzels
Mini apple pies
Chocolate chip cookie dough truffles
Cookies
Muffins
Pumpkin bread
Blueberry bread
Brownies
Fudge

All of this has gone over very well. And after all this time I know who prefers what treats so I try to make everyone their favorites.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

As many have already said, you can't go wrong with food and a heartfelt personal thank you note.

A couple of other things to consider:

A donation in the physician's honor to a charity, if you know what they support. We sponsored the Relay for Life team at my mom's cancer center in honor of her amazing oncologist.

Along with your personal note to the doctor, you could also send a letter to the hospital president/board praising the doctor and any facilities/processes that really worked well for you and made your life easier. Not only is it nice to get praised to your "boss" but hospitals can use the feedback on how to serve families and patients better.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: