Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
lady9
DIS Veteran

Gift for physician?

Our DS then 15, had a serious baseball accident almost 2 years ago (line drive to his face.) His injury was so severe our local hospital could not take care of him. We were sent to a hospital in a bigger city about an hour and a half from us. We are so grateful we were led to the right doctor who was amazing. She saved our son, and with the exception of a titanium plate in his forehead, he's back to normal and playing baseball. He needed two surgeries and multiple appointments, but we are ready to go for the last one next month. Is is appropriate to take a gift to show our appreciation? If so, what should it be? I already plan to take a thank you card.
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
anna08
DIS Veteran

My favorite gift was always a homemade food item - never had time to bake with my career and I could share with my office staff! I had a patient who baked the most amazing bread - she would bring two loaves every year - one for me to take home and one for the staff to share. It brightened our office so much!

The other thing would be a picture of your son playing baseball - something she could post in her workspace to remind her all those extra hours and worry are worth it. Very nice of you to thank her, btw!
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
pocomom
Brr.....

I think a heartfelt thank you and some treats for her office would be great! Glad to hear your son is doing so well!!!
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Carlyzmom
AXIOM Crew Member
I see naked people all the time that are NOT pretty

I work with a lot of docs. The LOVE to eat! LOL Maybe a gift card to a good restaurant, so he/she could have a nice dinner.
1995 Disneyland Hotel - California
1997 Fort Wilderness
1998 Fort Wilderness
2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Port Orleans Riverside

Me DH DD 13 DS 11
Carlyzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

I've sent edible arrangements and once dropped off a pastry ring from panera.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

I sent an edible arrangement to our dentist, who went above and beyond caring for DD. He appreciated it very much.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

I gave the surgeon a thank you note, a picture of our family because I wanted him to remember not just did he save my life, he also made sure my dh had a wife and my 3 ds had a mom. (I wrote that in the thank you note)

I also gave a cookie platter from the bakery for him and the staff
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

I think a small gift card is fine. Maybe for coffee. My DH is a physician and he LIVES on coffee.

Our son almost died of a pneumothorax and left heart shift at 24 hours of age. He had no cardiac output for several minutes. The doctor who saved his life happened to just be walking by and guess what the problem was. Not only did he blindly guess just in time but he sustained his life for the hour it took life flight to get there and relocate him to a NICU 4 hours away. I know nothing I could ever do could repay him for what he has given me. We send him a card every year on our son's birthday with a picture and handprint of our son in a cookbook. (The cookbook is because I learned he loves to cook in his off time). My hope is someday he will have 20 cookbooks in his collection that say thank you. They probably mean more to me, then to him, but my prayer is that he knows how much he means to this family of ours. I am telling you this story because he recently wrote and said how much he loves getting the letters and pictures of DS. How he loves seeing the changes in him from year to year. So maybe just a letter with a photo of your DS saying how much you appreciate all that she has done for you is honestly enough. I think being remembered probably means more then the gift.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
Madison'smommy
Mouseketeer

I used to work for a doctor... we would typically follow patients for 12-18 months... occasionally once they were "done" being seen, they would send something for the office. Edible arrangements or something along those lines! It was appreciated by all!
Madison'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
tinkgirl1984
Mouseketeer

I work in a cardiology office, and from personal experience, food of some sort is usually the best option. Most of our physicians (there are 15 of them) tend to feel a little awkward about monetary gifts (gift cards included), but always love getting thank you cards and baked goods, treat baskets etc. Our doctors really go above and beyond every day, and I think it's really nice when people remind them how appreciated they are

Enough beignets to kill a person...and other Disney dining.
tinkgirl1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
Fueledbycoffee
Mouseketeer

Who doesn't love a yummy treat?!

Thinking about your son's story, how about an autographed baseball from your son?! It would be something unique & part of their story.
Fueledbycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #12
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

I gave my female obgyn a crystal vase with flowers and a gift card for a massage/spa when each of my kids were born.

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
Disney Magic Southern Caribbean September 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:40 AM   #13
maslex
DIS Veteran

Funny this should come up. I have been thinking of doing the same thing for a doctor that my son just starting seeing. He was just diagnosed with seizures a little over a week ago and the doctor & his assistant have been phenomenal.

I was thinking of sending them an edible arrangement.
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #14
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

I'm married to a doctor, and I agree on the note, picture and something edible. The whole office will love the treats and the gratitude and appreciation will be cherished by the doctor.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

I am a Nurse Practitioner and I agree with above. A yummy treat that can be shared with the office staff is great. A personal note is the best!

We entered into medicine because it is what we love, but we are doing our job. It is always nice to know when someone appreciates a job well done

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: