Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #61
LoveBWVVBR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpskyman View Post
Sea World is what it is, a theme park revolving around captive sea life. Those that have problems with this, but not with Ak, or zoos, or petting farms, or circuses, are hypocrites. Sea world puts millions of dollars into research and millions more into the health of their animals. You can say it is wrong and refuse to visit, that is what makes this country great, but my daughter would not know what an Orca, dolphin, seal, walrus are if not for this institution, and by it existing it brings about awareness for all these animals.

And do not forget the millions into conservation and rescue...my area benefits directly from this, so for this reason alone I will remain a Sea World passholder indefinitely.

FWIW, I don't think that Sea World will suffer from this financially. My daughter goes to Sea World camps every summer, and from the looks of it, the camps are filling up just as quickly as they always have. My friends still go, and the schools around here still go there on field trips. The parking lot was more full than ever when we last went in Oct. Seriously, I've never gotten such a far spot at SeaWorld, and we got there not too long after opening!

A financial group selling their majority stake does not necessarily mean they are taking a stand. It could mean that they are divesting themselves for fear of what the controversy *could* do to this company. They are responsible to THEIR stakeholders, so it would be irresponsible to continue to maintain the holding if they thought it could go south.
LoveBWVVBR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #62
Kpskyman
Mouseketeer

Black stone selling their shares was planned from the beginning when Anheiser-Busch first sold their company they stayed on to help keep the parks going, and teach what is now SeaWorld parks Inc. how to run them. The plan was for five years, but they are ready to step down now at 3 years
Kpskyman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #63
Dopey420
DIS Veteran

I bet they don't have a big 2014 after everyone sees Blackfish. Sea World's days are numbered unless they release the orcas to sea pens. How many people just cancelled their Sea World trip because their favorite band just joined the boycott?

Soarin' is borin'

December 2013- Boardwalk Villas; October 2012- Saratoga Springs; October 2011- Saratoga Springs; December 2009- Saratoga Springs April 2009- Boardwalk Villas; October 2008- Boardwalk Villas; July 2008- Dolphin; December 2007- Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2007- AllStar Music, Saratoga Springs, Pop Century; Oct 2006- AllStar Sports, BWV, POFQ; July 2005- Vero, Boardwalk Inn; Oct 2004- Contemporary Tower; Feb 2004- Coronado Springs; Dec 2003- Radisson Resort Parkway; Oct 2002- Best Western Lake Cecile; Apr 1994- Delta Resort
Dopey420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #64
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopey420 View Post
I bet they don't have a big 2014 after everyone sees Blackfish. Sea World's days are numbered unless they release the orcas to sea pens. How many people just cancelled their Sea World trip because their favorite band just joined the boycott?
Most people aren't going to see Blackfish.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #65
julieannboo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Most people aren't going to see Blackfish.
1.2 million viewers watched Blackfish when it was first shown on CNN.

i dont know the viewers for the second viewing or the viewer figures for over in the UK where it was also shown twice.
julieannboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #66
julieannboo
Mouseketeer

I dont know much about maths but someone posted this on twitter today:

'Blackstone now plans to sell 18 million SeaWorld shares (up from 15mm) and has set price of $30 per. Would own 42.8% of SeaWorld after sale.'
Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #67
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieannboo View Post
1.2 million viewers watched Blackfish when it was first shown on CNN.

i dont know the viewers for the second viewing or the viewer figures for over in the UK where it was also shown twice.
There are over 300 million people in the United States. The vast majority aren't going to see Blackfish or be impacted by it; and probably a large chunk of people who did watch it weren't going to visit Sea World to begin with.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #68
Vickmeys
Yikes!!

Quote:
I love Sea World, and will be back. I think they do a lot of good. I don't care what my favorite band says, I have my own opinions.

Vickmeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #69
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickmeys View Post
I love Sea World, and will be back. I think they do a lot of good. I don't care what my favorite band says, I have my own opinions.
Well, and locals might go to Sea World for concerts but I would guess most visitors from out of town don't plan their vacations around them.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #70
Kpskyman
Mouseketeer

I have a family member that works in reservations for SeaWorld Orlando, and they say that reservations are actually up since Blackfish. Most people either do not know about the movie, or don't care, because they are on vacation and their children want to see Shamu, so they are going to see Shamu !!!
Kpskyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #71
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
I think this is a very astute observation.

Disney's problem is that kids these days, while they enjoy Disney, the world is *not* a "Wonderful World of Disney" Sunday at 6pm on NBC world anymore, as it was in the 60's and 70's. Kids aren't being bathed in Snow White and Mickey and Pooh now the way they were back then, which means that kids, while still enjoying and understanding Disney-based fun, are also getting ideas for fun that are anything but Disney.

How Disney adjusts to this at a park and "experience" level remains to be seen. I personally think the leg up they still have, but have also allowed to ebb in the last few years, is that unequalled commitment to customer service, the cleanliness of the parks, the WDW "experience" where quality isn't Job 1, it's the "only" job. I do think Disney has lost a bit of their edge in that regard, and I also think its why the last head of Disney Parks was shown the door. And I'm not sure that building scads of new DVC properties and timeshares is what Walt envisioned, either. Things aren't so bad they can't be turned, but Disney has internal and external challenges both now and in the coming years. Going to take some careful navigation for them to succeed.
Love this post.

I think they are very much adjusting every day. Look no further than the Marvel and Star Wars purchases. Kids are getting into action movies/shows at earlier ages now, in my opinion. Kids that were obsessed with Snow White 20 years ago are obsessed with Iron Man and Spiderman now. I, personally, don't think Disney is done with the comic world either. Let's all remember DC has not been talked about or tapped into...and with the Batman/Superman movie coming up, Arrow being one of the most popular TV shows of the year, and the rumored Justice League movie...I think it's just a matter of time before they want a bigger bite of the theme park world than they are getting with Six Flags, and make no mistake, there are ways out of their contract. I've rambled on about this outlandish theory in other threads though. I'm holding onto it because I still have a feeling it's going to happen, no matter the pipedream it may seem! Darkhorse is another comic company that should be considered. Comics are making a comeback via Hollywood, and they can be Disney's foothold to keep the kids of today's attention. Marvel is only going to get bigger in theme parks, and other comics are going to want a piece of the market as well.

I think Disney has lost their way a bit from where Walt intended it to go, as well....but I think they are realizing that. All it takes is one man to turn it around. Apple showed us that. Regardless, at this point, I still think Disney is unrivaled in their target market...in the goal of customer service, that is.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #72
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Quote:
Probably next to none. Who goes to Sea World for a band?
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #73
LoveBWVVBR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, I think we'll probably drive over to SeaWorld this weekend or next to use our annual passes...my favorite band (Barenaked Ladies) DID cancel their concert. Obviously that didn't make me cancel my next trip to SeaWorld, but it DOES make me much less likely to buy their next album. Caving to a *********** petition driven by what I see as a one-sided "documentary" makes me think much less of them personally. I think that SeaWorld will actually see a boost in attendance...what do they say, any publicity is good publicity?

And releasing Free Willy didn't go so well. Look it up.

Quit capturing new Orcas. Quit breeding them in captivity. Don't keep them alone (Lolita at the Miami Seaquarium is disturbing), but don't release the current Orcas even to sea pens. I think it's a death sentence for them given what happened to Free Willy.
LoveBWVVBR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #74
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodie View Post
Probably next to none. Who goes to Sea World for a band?

Them.

But, no, really...the majority of the societal sheep in America have bands and celebrities as their shepherds. You vote for who Angelina Jolie tells you to vote for. You protest what U2 says to protest. You are outraged by what Fox and CNN tell you to be outraged by. People don't think for themselves anymore.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #75
julieannboo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
Interesting times ahead for Seaworld it seems.

I hear that several artists have cancelled in the last few days from Bands, Brew and BBQ. Willie Nelson being the most critical in an interview with CNN saying how he doesnt agree with the way they treat their animals. I guess Willie has his own unique reasons for not caring about this when he happily performed at the same event in 2011.

Clearly Seaworld is trying to just ride out the whole Blackfish thing, but its starting to look like they're going to have to react somehow. I've no idea how they can react though? I do think they urgently need a new big show not featuring Whales or Dolphins though.
Seaworld could come out of this okay. If they carried on going down the theme park route and stopped the breeding programmes.

It would be great if they could seapen some of the whales but i am not sure that Tilikum could be as he is on so much medication.

It perverse giving a wild animal a man made drug.

Anyway if they halted all breeding programmes that a start.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: