Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #46
lexandme
DIS Veteran

Announced yesterday the Blackstone Group plans on selling a majority of their Sea World stock. They are currently a majority owner but after sale is complete they will no longer hold that title. Perhaps they sense the tide is turning?
I have also heard Macy's is contemplating pulling the Shamu balloon from their Thanksgiving Day Parade. I truly hope that is true. Protest does make a difference.
lexandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #47
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexandme View Post
Announced yesterday the Blackstone Group plans on selling a majority of their Sea World stock. They are currently a majority owner but after sale is complete they will no longer hold that title. Perhaps they sense the tide is turning?
I have also heard Macy's is contemplating pulling the Shamu balloon from their Thanksgiving Day Parade. I truly hope that is true. Protest does make a difference.
Not sure about a balloon but the float looks to be a go-

"It was in that spirit that parade executive producer Amy Kule told The Associated Press last week that the SeaWorld float is staying. “There is no controversy,” she said. “Our goal is to entertain and that is their goal as well.”

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...t-controversy/
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #48
freediverdude
Was very touched by the Tapestry of Dreams parade :(

Not going again til it's gone

I personally just will not go to SeaWorld again until the dolphins and whales are gone. It's against my beliefs to support that. Those animals are different than other animals, in that dolphins and killer whales are built for swimming large vast distances in the ocean every day, constantly swimming. Even as big as that tank is, it's just not anywhere large enough to give a killer whale a happy life. Keeping them in a tank that they can dart across in 2 seconds when their normal habitat would be many miles of ocean just isn't humane, and I'm surprised more haven't snapped.

The stingrays and fish and even seals I don't mind as much, but the dolphins and whales are just too big for captivity. There's a reason why they haven't been able to keep a great white shark in captivity. So it's time to end this. The dolphins and whales don't know they are ambassadors to humans, all they know is they are kept in a fairly confined space, and must do tricks to eat (or at least for part of their food). I believe India even gave dolphins an enhanced status recently, like sentient beings or something of the sort, I forget the terminology they used.
freediverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #49
Victoria3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverdude View Post
I personally just will not go to SeaWorld again until the dolphins and whales are gone. It's against my beliefs to support that. Those animals are different than other animals, in that dolphins and killer whales are built for swimming large vast distances in the ocean every day, constantly swimming. Even as big as that tank is, it's just not anywhere large enough to give a killer whale a happy life. Keeping them in a tank that they can dart across in 2 seconds when their normal habitat would be many miles of ocean just isn't humane, and I'm surprised more haven't snapped.

The stingrays and fish and even seals I don't mind as much, but the dolphins and whales are just too big for captivity. There's a reason why they haven't been able to keep a great white shark in captivity. So it's time to end this. The dolphins and whales don't know they are ambassadors to humans, all they know is they are kept in a fairly confined space, and must do tricks to eat (or at least for part of their food). I believe India even gave dolphins an enhanced status recently, like sentient beings or something of the sort, I forget the terminology they used.
Do you go to Epcot? They have dolphins too.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #50
freediverdude
Was very touched by the Tapestry of Dreams parade :(

Thank you for trolling, but the couple dolphins at Epcot are not the centerpiece of the park like at SeaWorld. Although I don't go and see them at Epcot either.

BTW, Block Party Bash, you must work for Disney if you have that in your signature, lol.
freediverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #51
pioneer89
Not my name

Quote:
SeaWorld Entertainment reports a 300 percent profit jump in 2012. Interestingly, this news comes after the company began considering a public stock offering, hoping to raise at least $100 million. 2012 earnings hit $77.4 million; in 2011, earnings were only $19.1 million. Revenue for the 10 SeaWorld parks was up 7 percent to $1.4 billion. In spite of higher ticket prices, ticket sales were up 7 percent to $884 million. Attendance for the year grew as well, with more than 24 million visitors entering the company's theme parks. Click link for more details.
$0.884 billion in tickets out of $1.4 billion total?

That's 63.1% revenue from tickets, which goes against an assumption I've always had that tickets were much smaller than other revenue. The old "Theme parks make their real money from food and souvenirs" trope.

It might be the early morning brain-fog, but 24 million visitors and $1.4 billion revenue is only $58.33 per visitor. A lot less then I would have ever guessed.

I just looked up Seaworld stock info, and that number is $60.74 per visitor, with $38.38 for admission, and $22.36 for in-park spending (food, toys, etc.)

Quote:
Admission per capita (defined as admission revenue divided by total attendance) increased by 9.1% from $35.19 to $38.38 primarily as a result of pricing and yield management strategies. In-park per capita spending (defined as food, merchandise and other revenue divided by total attendance) increased by 3.5% from $21.61 to $22.36 due to targeted price increases and increased in-park offerings.
pioneer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #52
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer89 View Post

$0.884 billion in tickets out of $1.4 billion total?

That's 63.1% revenue from tickets, which goes against an assumption I've always had that tickets were much smaller than other revenue. The old "Theme parks make their real money from food and souvenirs" trope.
What it means is that their profit margin is not nearly as high as the rat...

Disney parks generates around 3.5 billion of revenue from merch sales and roughly 3.5 billion from all the other revenue (I'm simplifying...but more or less). That includes wdw, Disneyland and roughly 50% of Disneyland Paris.

Most of the expense is in the "other revenues"...a ridiculous portion of the profits is in the sales categories.

And that...is the whole ballgame. Annual stockholder report.

But it probably also means they are running a much leaner operation... As Disney has always whined internally about how much the operation costs and how alot of the "big ticket" items - namely rooms and tickets - are gobbled
Up by overhead.
If you believe such things
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 12-03-2013 at 08:54 AM.
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #53
LoveBWVVBR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugnmama View Post
We are dvc and going to okw for 7 days and decided to try different things we have no Disney park days planned. We want to do discovery cove so it makes sense to do all of the seaworld parks as we will have them for 14 days. The tickets for Disney are getting a bit out of hand. But we still love the resorts. We cook our own meals as we no longer enjoy the dining we do like the bass excursion and will continue to vacation there but we are kinda over the parks.
Same here! DH likes to take the kids to the parks still, but I am over them. If everyone wants to go to SeaWorld instead I'm all over that though! Our 7 year-old does camp at SeaWorld every summer too. I just never get tired of it, probably because it is an animal park and is therefore never the same place twice (to me). I told DH that I don't want a Disney AP this year. He and the kids have them, and they can do the parks. We have DVC but are looking at selling it as we are finding the units to look run-down more often than not lately Too bad, because when they were kept up I liked just staying at the resort itself while DH and the kids did the parks.
LoveBWVVBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #54
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:

Quote:
Thank you for trolling, but the couple dolphins at Epcot are not the centerpiece of the park like at SeaWorld. Although I don't go and see them at Epcot either.
You don't sound very committed to your beliefs. I mean you pick and choose what animals are okay in captivity, and apparently even though there are dolphins in captivity at Epcot that is okay because you don't go and see them. So, you won't support Seaworld but Disney is okay to hold animals captive because you don't see them? Time to end it at Seaworld but not Disney? Gotcha.
That pp wasn't trolling, just pointing out your hypocrisy
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #55
mikehn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
You don't sound very committed to your beliefs. I mean you pick and choose what animals are okay in captivity, and apparently even though there are dolphins in captivity at Epcot that is okay because you don't go and see them. So, you won't support Seaworld but Disney is okay to hold animals captive because you don't see them? Time to end it at Seaworld but not Disney? Gotcha.
That pp wasn't trolling, just pointing out your hypocrisy
This entire topic is all hypocracy. Its ok for Disney to hold animals in captivity, but boycott everyone else.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #56
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehn View Post
This entire topic is all hypocracy. Its ok for Disney to hold animals in captivity, but boycott everyone else.
It's the old "give Disney a free pass" schtick...
Old 12-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #57
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Interesting times ahead for Seaworld it seems.

I hear that several artists have cancelled in the last few days from Bands, Brew and BBQ. Willie Nelson being the most critical in an interview with CNN saying how he doesnt agree with the way they treat their animals. I guess Willie has his own unique reasons for not caring about this when he happily performed at the same event in 2011.

Clearly Seaworld is trying to just ride out the whole Blackfish thing, but its starting to look like they're going to have to react somehow. I've no idea how they can react though? I do think they urgently need a new big show not featuring Whales or Dolphins though.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #58
Kpskyman
Mouseketeer

Sea World is what it is, a theme park revolving around captive sea life. Those that have problems with this, but not with Ak, or zoos, or petting farms, or circuses, are hypocrites. Sea world puts millions of dollars into research and millions more into the health of their animals. You can say it is wrong and refuse to visit, that is what makes this country great, but my daughter would not know what an Orca, dolphin, seal, walrus are if not for this institution, and by it existing it brings about awareness for all these animals.
Kpskyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #59
julieannboo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehn View Post
Disney have managed to go under the radar for sometime now with their dolphins, in the mainstream media.

But there are campaigns to release these dolphins.

So people are not okay with dolphin captivity anywhere - not just at Seaworld.
julieannboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #60
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpskyman View Post
Sea World is what it is, a theme park revolving around captive sea life. Those that have problems with this, but not with Ak, or zoos, or petting farms, or circuses, are hypocrites. Sea world puts millions of dollars into research and millions more into the health of their animals. You can say it is wrong and refuse to visit, that is what makes this country great, but my daughter would not know what an Orca, dolphin, seal, walrus are if not for this institution, and by it existing it brings about awareness for all these animals.
Great post. You can't pick and choose which creatures are "worthy" of not being in captivity. Someone going to AK but boycotting SW is a hypocrite.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: