Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #31
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors Rocks View Post
I'm glad to see them doing so well. We love SeaWorld and try to visit every few years. They have done a good job expending the offerings and providing a better all around experience. We are heading to DC in August for a day and will most likely do at least one more day at the other parks as well. Of course we'll still be doing the Disney parks for 5 days as well.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #32
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Seaworld shares jump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
I'm glad to see them doing so well. We love SeaWorld and try to visit every few years. They have done a good job expending the offerings and providing a better all around experience. We are heading to DC in August for a day and will most likely do at least one more day at the other parks as well. Of course we'll still be doing the Disney parks for 5 days as well.

Seaworld Entertainment Rating Increased to Buy at Citigroup Inc. (SEAS)

http://www.wkrb13.com/markets/225355...roup-inc-seas/

Quote:
Posted by Kristian Gore on Nov 12th, 2013 // No Comments

Seaworld Entertainment (NASDAQ:SEAS) was upgraded by Citigroup Inc. from a “neutral” rating to a “buy” rating in a research note issued on Tuesday, TheFlyOnTheWall.com reports. The firm currently has a $40.00 target price on the stock, up from their previous target price of $30.00. Citigroup Inc.’s price objective would suggest a potential upside of 28.21% from the stock’s previous close.

The analysts wrote, “Recall, in June 2013 the IRS formed a new working group to examine pending REIT conversions more closely. The mere existence of the working group cast a long shadow on a number of publicly held firms considering a REIT conversion (Lamar, Iron Mountain, Equinix). SeaWorld currently benefits from NOLs. Those tax assets will likely shield the firm from becoming a full cash taxpayer until 2017. But, investors must still decide if they should a) Fully-tax SeaWorld’s cash flow and add the NPV of the NOLs or b) Assume SeaWorld will permanently shield the bulk of its cash flow from cash taxes via a REIT conversion. Thus far, SeaWorld hasn’t said much about its long-term tax strategy.”

Other equities research analysts have also recently issued reports about the stock. Analysts at Zacks upgraded shares of Seaworld Entertainment from a “neutral” rating to an “outperform” rating in a research note to investors on Tuesday, October 15th. They now have a $32.80 price target on the stock. Separately, analysts at Hanson initiated coverage on shares of Seaworld Entertainment in a research note to investors on Monday, October 14th. They set a “buy” rating on the stock. Finally, analysts at Barclays cut their price target on shares of Seaworld Entertainment from $40.00 to $39.00 in a research note to investors on Wednesday, August 14th. They now have an “overweight” rating on the stock. Four research analysts have rated the stock with a hold rating and eight have given a buy rating to the company’s stock. The company presently has a consensus rating of “Buy” and a consensus target price of $38.59.

In other Seaworld Entertainment news, Director Alessandro David F. D unloaded 43,179 shares of the stock on the open market in a transaction that occurred on Monday, November 4th. The stock was sold at an average price of $29.54, for a total transaction of $1,275,507.66. The transaction was disclosed in a document filed with the SEC, which can be accessed through this link.
Shares of Seaworld Entertainment (NASDAQ:SEAS) traded up 2.56% on Tuesday, hitting $32.00. 343,580 shares of the company’s stock traded hands. Seaworld Entertainment has a one year low of $27.48 and a one year high of $39.65. The stock has a 50-day moving average of $29.76 and a 200-day moving average of $33.85. The company has a market cap of $2.986 billion and a price-to-earnings ratio of 98.11.
SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc is a theme park and entertainment company. The Company is engaged in delivering personal, interactive and educational experiences that blend imagination with nature and enable its customers to celebrate, connect with and care for the natural world.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #33
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I wonder how the profit will be if they stop the whale shows like the courts are looking at now.

AIK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #34
Dznefreek
R.I.P Bruce

They don't have to stop just continue the way they are currently. Guess not having trainers in the water with the whales hasn't hurt their business model as they would have you believe . . . . .
Old 11-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #35
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
I wonder how the profit will be if they stop the whale shows like the courts are looking at now.
We will not go back until the orca shows stop.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #36
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post

AIK
No court is trying to stop the whale shows at the SeaWorld parks.

There is a current case in U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. SeaWorld wants the court to overturn OSHA restrictions imposed after an orca at SeaWorld Orlando killed trainer Dawn Brancheau.

SeaWorld still has orca performances, but trainers can no longer go in the water with the orcas.

If SeaWorld is successful in getting the restrictions lifted -- and then another trainer is killed in front of thousands of guests, many of whom are children -- SeaWorld faces a very bleak future.

In any case, SeaWorld needs to plan on a future without performing orcas. My guess is that public opinion, not the courts, will eventually put an end to orca performances.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #37
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post

There is a current case in U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. SeaWorld wants the court to overturn OSHA restrictions imposed after an orca at SeaWorld Orlando killed trainer Dawn Brancheau.

SeaWorld still has orca performances, but trainers can no longer go in the water with the orcas.

If SeaWorld is successful in getting the restrictions lifted -- and then another trainer is killed in front of thousands of guests, many of whom are children -- SeaWorld faces a very bleak future.

In any case, SeaWorld needs to plan on a future without performing orcas. My guess is that public opinion, not the courts, will eventually put an end to orca performances.

Horace, I went back and checked, you are indeed right, the court hearing is not actually trying to shut the shows down (but there are groups looking to do that, b\however not in the courts as yet). Sorry my error.

I do totally agree with your last para.! It will hurt their attendance.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #38
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Nothing is perfect...

My opinion is that sea worlds orca program...on the whole... Has done much more good than harm.

I have tried to educate myself and others about marine mammals... Including my kids... And donated to a variety of conservation projects in my adulthood.

Part of that starts with the Shamu show when I was 5 in Cleveland...no question

I do think that the human/orca shows are at an end soon. They are just too powerful and instinctive hunters...few things hunt at the level of the killer whale...
The name should tip you off.

But that doesn't mean I think they should not be included in zoos/aquariums/sea world/ etc.

Captivity and display helps the species...my opinion.

Are they not "born free" and where the belong? Of course not.

But they're also not harpooned or searching for food around diminishing ice packs...and that is far worse.

I'll take the "helpful" bad over the just plain bad anyday
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #39
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post

If she were alive today and had the choice to do something else instead...I bet she wouldn't.

Somethings are more dangerous...that doesnt mean you have to protect the Shamu show like the Alamo...but education was always as big a part of that program as profit...no doubt.

And wait for it...
Like Disney USED to be like.

Yeah...I went there
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 11-15-2013 at 10:31 PM.
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #40
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Nothing is perfect...

My opinion is that sea worlds orca program...on the whole... Has done much more good than harm.

I have tried to educate myself and others about marine mammals... Including my kids... And donated to a variety of conservation projects in my adulthood.

Part of that starts with the Shamu show when I was 5 in Cleveland...no question

I do think that the human/orca shows are at an end soon. They are just too powerful and instinctive hunters...few things hunt at the level of the killer whale...
The name should tip you off.

But that doesn't mean I think they should not be included in zoos/aquariums/sea world/ etc.

Captivity and display helps the species...my opinion.

Are they not "born free" and where the belong? Of course not.

But they're also not harpooned or searching for food around diminishing ice packs...and that is far worse.

I'll take the "helpful" bad over the just plain bad anyday
As always, Lockedoutlogic is right on!

We've been to SW more than WDW or Uni this year. Why? It's been more fun, they're more local friendly and they care more about their main focus. Some may disagree with the "zoo" aspect, but IMO caring animal environments are the only future for many species. The new Antarctica exhibit is phenomenal! Disney should aspire to create such a spectacular animal exhibit.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #41
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I agree with the previous posters. Animals being completely free is a nice notion but the world is changing and not for the better when it comes to nature.

I'm not saying that all Orcas need to be rounded up but having a few treated well in captivity doesn't harm the species and probably does it some good. People can be taught to care about animals but likely not as much if they just see pictures in a book.

Of course, YMMV. I'll just add that if things continue to disintegrate at a certain other place that we might end up at SeaWorld faster than I thought. I like the parks but just never have time.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #42
kathy884
DIS Veteran

SeaWorld profits up 300% // Might some of this be that profits were down considerably after the tragic incident with the trainer getting killed and lots of negative publicity? // We really love SeaWorld, but I can't imagine they are doing all that well. Lots of negative publicity again this year with the movie Blackfish and I see the offer of a $50 weekday ticket. That tells me they are having to lower prices big time to get people in during slow season. Still I can see them working on upping profits, with selling all day dining, quick queue, partnering with hotels, offering expensive behind the scenes tour add ons, etc. // And I love their summer camps. DS who is a senior in HS will be going to one of these again (last year he can do the one in Orlando). This will be his fifth year. In between school and summer jobs when he's in college, we'll probably end up sending him to San Antonio. They are the only SeaWorld park with camps for college aged kids and they have camps for teachers too. // I do have mixed feelings for sure about animals in captivity, but go to their parks anyway. I totally understand why OSHA doesn't let the trainers get in the water with the Orcas, but for me as beautiful and lovely as the parks are (Their landscaping is just so good), the trainers and Orcas in the water together was truly the WOW factor that just blew me away (I wanted to be that trainer in the water), and the parks just don't have the same excitement without that for me.

My son and I enjoy WDW too. Usually though now we just take an occasional mini trip and DH stays home. On our mini mom/son trip we usually hit SeaWorld one day and two Disney parks on the other with a one day park hopper // Just do three nights / two days.

DH doesn't care for theme parks or fake man made things, so that's a strike against Disney to start, but he has always felt WDW is just too obvious and in your face about getting you to part with your money -- making it inconvenient to leave the world for a less expensive meal, high priced mediocre food, gifts shops placed very strategically all over, extras to buy -- light up items at night, balloons, outrageous prices for lodging compared to what you can get offsite, etc. He can't stand it than when he walks though their parks, he can't even find a rock to kick as the paths are that clean. But OMG -- the only park he really cares for in Orlando is Gatorland as alligators are native to the area and he thinks that that's an appropriate attraction for the area. Plus it reminds him a bit of the old time tourist attractions from when he was a kid. Despite his being a big Harry Potter fan, he thinks the idea of a Harry Potter world is ridiculous and thinks things like this are best described in the books and left to your imagination. He told me there is no way he would ever set foot in the place and that he'd even go to WDW park before that. The wild thing is that he fairly regularly has to go the Contemporary for a few days for seminars. He says though it's a perfectly nice conference facility and grounds and amenities are just fine / really nice actually (high priced, but his company is paying). And he doesn't leave the grounds.

Last edited by kathy884; 11-23-2013 at 01:11 AM.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #43
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
I love sea world, even though I hate that there is no more free . . .

1) We never considered the beer as being free.
2) To us, it was a reward for going deep into the park and smelling the horse barn.
3) Of course, we needed A LOT of reward.

TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #44
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) We never considered the beer as being free.
2) To us, it was a reward for going deep into the park and smelling the horse barn.
3) Of course, we needed A LOT of reward.

LOL! Not a horse person I see. If anything that barn was so clean there was nothing to smell
Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #45
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

The "free beer" comment was really a non starter...Hyperbole perhaps. But we still love SW, even though I still wish there was free beer. SW is adding quality attractions at a much greater pace than WDW. 'nuff said?
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: