Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #76
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Yet you have no problem with people questioning WDW for "not doing their job" and providing 100% security service for kids?
Really? I said that?
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #77
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Really? I said that?
Not that I can see.

Last edited by Allison; 03-31-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #78
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Really? I said that?
Well you did have a problem with people questioning the parents, but didn't seem to have a problem with people questioning WDW, so yeah in my mind you sort of did imply that.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #79
TLSnell1981

Quote:
Well you did have a problem with people questioning the parents, but didn't seem to have a problem with people questioning WDW, so yeah in my mind you sort of did imply that.
Pretty giant leap.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #80
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Pretty giant leap.
Not really. But we can disagree.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #81
TLSnell1981

Quote:
Not really. But we can disagree.
And, there is a difference, between a disagreement and an insensitive attack.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #82
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

I'm just going to own up to being a "bad parent".

I've...

1) Dropped my 9yo DS off at pool parties and didn't stay to watch him (after all, I can't trust anyone else, right?).
2) Lost track of same DS at an AI pool last summer. Usually he was either on the way to or from the swim up bar.
3) Let DS & 7yo DD swim at hotel pools and not be in the pool with them. I also took my eyes off them while talking to other adults.

I'm still waiting for someone to say when you don't need to watch your kids 24/7/365.

Bottom line, accidents happen.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #83
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
So by your line of thinking, not commenting on every post means you implicitly agree with it? Interesting view.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #84
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post

I've...

1) Dropped my 9yo DS off at pool parties and didn't stay to watch him (after all, I can't trust anyone else, right?).
2) Lost track of same DS at an AI pool last summer. Usually he was either on the way to or from the swim up bar.
3) Let DS & 7yo DD swim at hotel pools and not be in the pool with them. I also took my eyes off them while talking to other adults.

I'm still waiting for someone to say when you don't need to watch your kids 24/7/365.

That really is the bottom line. I hope he is okay.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #85
LisaR

Quote:

I've...

It is impossible to watch anyone 24/7/365. However, it is irresponsible to drop a 4 y/o off at a pool without a lifeguard. I'd think everyone would agree with that. I'm not saying that is what happened in this situation. I don't know all the details.

What is the cut-off age for a unattended child at a pool? There isn't one, imo. I always say I do not parent my kids based on age. There isn't a magic age where the child is suddenly ready to stay home alone, swim unsupervised, babysit, use a kitchen knife, etc. Every kid is different and parenting should be based on each individual child instead of some magic number. There is common sense though. While we can debate if 9 is old enough to swim alone, I can't imagine anyone debating if 4 is old enough to swim alone.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #86
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
It is impossible to watch anyone 24/7/365. However, it is irresponsible to drop a 4 y/o off at a pool without a lifeguard. I'd think everyone would agree with that. I'm not saying that is what happened in this situation. I don't know all the details.

What is the cut-off age for a unattended child at a pool? There isn't one, imo. I always say I do not parent my kids based on age. There isn't a magic age where the child is suddenly ready to stay home alone, swim unsupervised, babysit, use a kitchen knife, etc. Every kid is different and parenting should be based on each individual child instead of some magic number. There is common sense though. While we can debate if 9 is old enough to swim alone, I can't imagine anyone debating if 4 is old enough to swim alone.
I will whole heartedly agree with you. But many posters were criticizing the parents when it was reported the child was 9. Let's see...

"Parents should have been watching him"
"Parents need to be around more"
"There needs to be more responsibility of the parents"
"Parents need to be more responsible and not leave kids alone to swim"
"You can't just leave them at any pool anywhere at 9 or 10"

Need I go on? According to the above quotes, I (and DW) are "bad parents". So I thought I'd own up to it. I agree every child is different. But that doesn't stop people from judging the parents in this case, even though VERY little facts are known.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #87
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post

I agree with you.

Quote:
I will whole heartedly agree with you. But many posters were criticizing the parents when it was reported the child was 9. Let's see...

"Parents should have been watching him"
"Parents need to be around more"
"There needs to be more responsibility of the parents"
"Parents need to be more responsible and not leave kids alone to swim"
"You can't just leave them at any pool anywhere at 9 or 10"

Need I go on? According to the above quotes, I (and DW) are "bad parents". So I thought I'd own up to it. I agree every child is different. But that doesn't stop people from judging the parents in this case, even though VERY little facts are known.
Every child is different.

When something bad happens to a young child that *can* be avoidable through supervision, I think it's human nature to think perhaps the child could not handle the responsibility of managing him or herself. I would reflect upon that if I were in that situation the same as I would with others.

As far as this thread goes, I relate to my experience and what I would feel comfortable doing. I don't know the circumstances, just that the boy was alone.

Anyway, I am glad the boy is stable and hope for his continued recovery. That is the important thing.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #88
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
As far as this thread goes, I relate to my experience and what I would feel comfortable doing. I don't know the circumstances, just that the boy was alone.
But do we know that? Yes, we know his parents weren't there. But that doesn't mean he was alone. Was he with grandparents? Aunts? Uncles? Cousins? Siblings? Granted, I've only read what's on this thread and the single linked article, so there may be other information I don't know.
Quote:
Anyway, I am glad the boy is stable and hope for his continued recovery. That is the important thing.
Agreed.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #89
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
I'm sure many of you have seen this but wanted to provide the link again. 'Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning' is an important read.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/ ......
thanks for reposting. I wish everyone would take the time to read the article and send it to everyone they can. Here is a small part of it.

"To get an idea of just how quiet and undramatic from the surface drowning can be, consider this: It is the number two cause of accidental death in children, age 15 and under (just behind vehicle accidents) – of the approximately 750 children who will drown next year, about 375 of them will do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult. In ten percent of those drownings, the adult will actually watch them do it, having no idea it is happening (source: CDC). "

denisenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #90
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
But do we know that? Yes, we know his parents weren't there. But that doesn't mean he was alone. Was he with grandparents? Aunts? Uncles? Cousins? Siblings? Granted, I've only read what's on this thread and the single linked article, so there may be other information I don't know.

Agreed.
The article mentioned the parents and siblings in the article and mentioned them leaving when the boy was removed from the area. No mention of any other family.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: