Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #46
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

My family was on vacation. I was ten years old. My sisters were 9, 3 and 3.

The hotel had a pool but no lifeguards. My mom was sitting on a chair watching the four of us. She told me and my 9 year old sister to stay in the shallow end, and she told my youngest sisters to stay on the steps, because the shallow end was too deep for them.

It took a split second for my sister to take one step too many. I turned around and saw her ponytail floating on the surface. Of course I pulled her out. She was just fine.

But my point . . . It can happen with the parents watching.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DISBoards
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #47
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
As a former cp with 2 roommates who were lifeguards, I can tell you there are a lot of bad parents in the world. Just as many people would like to assume best intentions, and of course there is empathy, I have heard story after story every day from my former disney lifeguard roomies. One parent went to the top of the slide at a pool and sent the baby down with no one at the bottom. Then yelled at the lifeguard ( who was fully dressed as her shift was well over). to jump in to catch him. Of course she did.Kids are left unattended at the resort pools daily, small children. This happens daily.
OMG. Some people need an IQ test before being allowed to procreate.

Every drowning case I've been a part of was pure accident and not negligence.

I had no involvement or personal knowledge of this, but where I used to live we had a lot of media over one case where a kid drowned during while at a local YMCA daycare program. Can you imagine? The family was very vocal about what happened. They helped to troubleshoot the situation and the YMCA workers were not assigned specific children to watch - so workers were attentive and at the pool, but didn't have a specific child to watch at all times. The child was down under a slide. Another child found him when the next child was swimming / coming down the slide. I'm not sure they ever figured out why he went down and why he never came out from under the slide. I'm pretty sure he was a school aged child and the water was not particularly deep. There was a lot of media about it and the family publically said that last person to see him said he went down the slide and seemed fine going down. Sometimes we just never know why things happen. Very sad.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #48
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Yup. Theyre allowed to swim without parents on the cruise ships and disney resorts. There's no way for the lifeguards or staff to track which kids have parents present, and which dont.

This is the 2nd drowning at disney in the month of March. They really need to be more strict at the disney pools. Not sure what they could do thou.

Apparently there's no lifeguard at the Fantasy pool but there is one at the slide. That makes no sense to me. So who cares if someone drowns, its more important that someone gets on the slide safely??? I really dont understand.

There are plenty of pools without lifeguards, including most hotels. It is a parent's responsibility to watch over their children not the hotel.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #49
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad

There are plenty of pools without lifeguards, including most hotels. It is a parent's responsibility to watch over their children not the hotel.
Oh I couldnt agree with you more. I agree 100%.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #50
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

Has anyone heard any updates? I could not get this family out of my mind last night. I am hoping for good news today.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #51
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
I'm sure many of you have seen this but wanted to provide the link again. 'Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning' is an important read.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

I am so scared of my kids drowning. They take swim lessons and I watch them like a hawk. My husband thinks I'm a nut but it only takes a moment and everything can change. I am so sad for the parents.
Thank you for providing that link. It is valuable information that I did not know.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #52
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

******** update *******

Just read an UPDATE on another thread that said the child is in stable condition. Thats positive news!! But lets keep praying that he makes a full recovery.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

Last edited by goofyintoronto; 03-31-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #53
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

This article is old but this thread got me thinking. I have 2 DD's 13 and 14. My oldest DD swims at least five days a week. She is a year round swimmer. Even though she is seasoned I wonder what the chances of drowning are? I still get nervous with her. I think about teens horsing around in the water or getting a cramp, etc...this article talks the types of drowning based on age. Unfortunately nobody is immune.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1730951/
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #54
MaryAnnDVC
"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7179 View Post
If the child was really four, I think chances are Mom that he was with Dad, Dad thought he was with Mom, and kid thought he'd take a swim. I think that is way more likely than parents telling a four year old to have fun and see ya later!
Exactly! They had just boarded the ship. Maybe things were just chaotic.

The rush to judgement on the DIS astounds me sometimes.

Glad to see the boy is doing better. Hugs to the parents.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #55
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I'm not really sure how Disney could be 'more strict' at their pools. They provide lifeguards, not much else they can do. Perhaps parents need to be around.
It's a very sad thing to have something like this happen. It's awful. I can't imagine what that poor family is going through. But, sometimes, accidents happen. They are no one's fault....they just happen.
Maybe they can do what some local pools do, and you have to have a swim buddy. The lifeguards blow their whistle every so often and do a buddy check. If they spot kids who are too young to be swimming without an adult along they could pull them from the pool.

Also, maybe they need to go over the pool rules at check in. Make it mandatory that they read the age limits and any other pool rules.

I can't begin to imagine how devastating it is to lose a child while on vacation. Hopefully this little boy makes it. If the parents had their swim suits on it could be that he just got a bit ahead of them. Tragic.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #56
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Glad the child is in stable condition.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #57
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
Glad the child is in stable condition.
Yes, thank goodness. I cannot being to imagine what the parents are going thru right now. Lets hope he recovers fully soon.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #58
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
My family was on vacation. I was ten years old. My sisters were 9, 3 and 3.

The hotel had a pool but no lifeguards. My mom was sitting on a chair watching the four of us. She told me and my 9 year old sister to stay in the shallow end, and she told my youngest sisters to stay on the steps, because the shallow end was too deep for them.

It took a split second for my sister to take one step too many. I turned around and saw her ponytail floating on the surface. Of course I pulled her out. She was just fine.

But my point . . . It can happen with the parents watching.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DISBoards
I watched my DS sink to the bottom of an 8 FT deep pool, his father & 2 other adults were IN in the pool 'watching' him. Another adult & I were on the side w/babies. 3 other kids were in the pool. No one saw him go under. I did, and watched. I kept thinking one of them would grab him, they were right there. No one did. I was screaming at them. Finally I left a baby on the side of the pool, jumped in fully clothed (gym shoes and all) to get him. He coughed up & threw up a lot of water but was fine. Totally time was MAYBE 30 seconds. DS was silent. No struggling, no noise, just went under. We lived in Florida, he had years of swimming lessons. I had him out of the pool before the other adults had fully realized what had happened.

Accidents happen in seconds & I only wish for the best for this family.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #59
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Just read an UPDATE on another thread that said the child is in stable condition. Thats positive news!! But lets keep praying that he makes a full recovery.

Great news! Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #60
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Oh, thank goodness. I really don't want this to turn into a terrible tragedy.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: