Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #256
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
This is tragic news. I feel for this family, and I hope he makes a full recovery.

I don't think there needs to be lifeguards on the ships. What they should have though is a CM always at the pools to help control the area. The pools are crazy busy. When I was in the deeper pool, on the Fantasy, with my 8 and 4 yr old kids. The pool was packed and you still had the brats trying to jump in, when there is no room to do so. There are parents everywhere, but a lot of them are too busy laying in their lounge chairs drinking to care what heir kids are doing.

Now before I get yelled at, I am not saying this is what happened with the parents of this poor kid. I have no idea and it doesn't really matter right now. What matters is Chase to make a full recovery. What I am saying is the CM's or security needs to control the pool better. Kids will be kids, especially if they are left alone with none or minimal supervision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebud View Post
First, I just read Chase's caring bridge site. What a tragic accident! From what I can gather, the family was in the area of the pool w/ their suits on, but Chase slipped away from them in the crowds, they were actively looking for him when they got to the actual pool w/ people already working on him (??) I could be wrong about the last part. Anyway, he slipped away from them in a crowd... could happen to anyone. Kids slip away from parents all the time. My heart is broken for this family.

We haven't been on a disney cruise yet, but the other lines we've been on (RCCL, NCL and Celebrity), most of the pools are just accidents waiting to happen. On RCCL and NCL, the kids AND parents goofing around w/ them in the pool are just completely out of control. We tried a few times to enjoy the pools, but usually had to get out, because of dads throwing kids around, teens jumping in and out, with their parents right there doing the same. We were honestly shocked at the atmosphere, and the stupidity of the parents. Who the heck throws a kid in a 8' x 12' pool, with 15 other people in there?? I seriously felt like we were on candid camera, it was that unbelievable. One parent threw his teen onto a small child, in the pool, and could care less.

The only line that was completely IN control of the pool was Celebrity. While at the pool one day, a few teen boys starting jumping and goofing, and a worker came over soooo fast and told them no jumping or get out. He was firm about it, and I was SO impressed! The teens left after a few minutes.

It's like some people have never seen a pool before and just go insane.
Wow cruise ship pools sound like a complete nightmare!!! Makes sense how this little guy could get separated from his family. What a tragic accident and I really hope he recovers from this.


Having been a lifeguard at WDW and seeing first hand how seriously they took water safety at their resorts I can't imagine what good reasons they have for not doing the same on their cruise ships.
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #257
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
That's certainly been proven to be true.
Agreed.

Last edited by Iforgetmypassword; 04-11-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #258
firecracker725
DIS Veteran
 
firecracker725's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: France
Posts: 1,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
Agreed.
Times infinity.
__________________
--Crystal

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #259
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
That's certainly been proven to be true.
I'd agree with you, but I am guessing we aren't necessarily agreeing with the same thing.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #260
DisneyChula
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyChula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725 View Post
Times infinity.
And beyond.
__________________
Allison
DisneyChula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #261
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups
 
TLSnell1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,233

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
Wow cruise ship pools sound like a complete nightmare!!! Makes sense how this little guy could get separated from his family. What a tragic accident and I really hope he recovers from this. .
Chaos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
But why read it???? That is on them, sorry. It is time for them to step away from the computer. Considering the horrific situation they are continuing to go through, reading unflattering messages on the internet will not help their state of mind. They can't control what others think or say.
Yes, it is sorry. There are always a handful, that spew hate and controversy. They feel the need to control the message, so they throw out inflammatory remarks, and shut down the dialog.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #262
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran
 
Lorelei Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison

That's certainly been proven to be true.


Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #263
Ponygirl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 286

I would think these parents carry enough guilt and heartbreak to last a lifetime. My heart goes out to them. Why in the world would anyone think it appropriate to possibly add to their pain?
Ponygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #264
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,229

Just wanted to share. I am currently at a Disney resort and this morning we went to the "quiet pool" . Those are the ones with no lifeguards. 3 kids came over to the pool to swim with no parents. I asked them where there parents were, they were at the food court. I asked if here parents were coming to watch them, they said no. The oldest was 10, one was 8, and one was 5. They were not afraid of strangers and were pretty rough in the pool. No supervision. I tołd a cast member on the way out, but they were still there alone when we walked by again. Not my kids or business but I could not help but worry.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #265
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran
 
Lorelei Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,637

Let's start with the fact that the person posting as "Warrior" on that other board claimed to be a family member who was defending the parents. Could be an uncle, a cousin -- someone who is not actively involved with the boy's care but is close enough to know the details and who is offended by the judgmental nonsense being bandued about on the internet.

Second, the family is obviously taking great comfort in the messages of support being posted on FB and elsewhere. They live in a large community. They've connected with people who were on the ship. Even the kindness of strangers is helping them. Positive energy is being generated and hopefully it will have a positive effect.

And they're supposed to forego that because a few [expletive] idiots want to makes themselves feel superior by tearing this family down?

Just because you have the "right" to speak your mind doesn't mean you should.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #266
disneyfan67


Diehard Cowboy fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,923

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I'm all for compassion, but I am also all in favor of personal responsibility. They have been through a tragedy and it isn't over yet. My heart goes out to them. But if they are choosing to bring more drama upon their family by participating in message board debates, that is their own problem. If my son was fighting for his life in a hospital, I can't imagine I would concern myself with FB or the Dis.

I rarely post here anymore, but after reading this thread and seeing your posts, which imo, lack not only sensitivity and compassion, but a sense of decency as well. I have found in my life that the universe sometimes has a way of making things even and dispensing a form of justice out to those who have earned it through their cruel words and actions. It doesn't happen all the time or often enough, but it does happen. I'm a firm believer in you get back in what you give out.

To me, it speaks volumes to the character of a person, when they can't find find even the smallest amount of compassion in times like this of terrible tragedy. I really don't understand why you chose to go the route you have taken in this thread, but I do sincerely and honestly wish you this. One day if a terrible crisis hits you and you find yourself in despair like this poor family this thread is about, that people treat you with compassion and sympathy, unlike what you have shown here.

Food for thought.
disneyfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #267
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan67 View Post
I rarely post here anymore, but after reading this thread and seeing your posts, which imo, lack not only sensitivity and compassion, but a sense of decency as well. I have found in my life that the universe sometimes has a way of making things even and dispensing a form of justice out to those who have earned it through their cruel words and actions. It doesn't happen all the time or often enough, but it does happen. I'm a firm believer in you get back in what you give out.

To me, it speaks volumes to the character of a person, when they can't find find even the smallest amount of compassion in times like this of terrible tragedy. I really don't understand why you chose to go the route you have taken in this thread, but I do sincerely and honestly wish you this. One day if a terrible crisis hits you and you find yourself in despair like this poor family this thread is about, that people treat you with compassion and sympathy, unlike what you have shown here.

Food for thought.
Ya know, I take offense to your post. Okay, not really because internet message boards rarely offend me, but I do think YOU are JUDGING me, something that is a big no-no on this thread, if you haven't noticed. You are assessing my character based on my comment that the family should stop searching the Dis or public social media sites to find strength and support. Really? Because of that comment, I lack compassion? Judge much? I see a definite theme to this thread from those who don't agree. The "judging" word is being thrown around an awful lot, but it is amazing how many are perfectly comfortable with judging as long as it done in defense of the family.

I can't begin to imagine what this family must be going through and I hope I never have to live it. But if I am looking for compassion, I know that I take the good with the bad if I am looking on public, uncensored, unfiltered, message board. I think people are idiots for going on their FB page and blasting them. But there really is a simple, quick way for the family to avoid those idiots. They have established enough of a caring support base that they can go private at this point. If they choose not to, that is their option, but that is their choice and they are going to end up seeing some things they don't want to see. But, hey, feel free to continue to judge me. I understand that if I don't hold the same opinion as some on this thread, I will be judged. Ironic, no?
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #268
gunka
DIS Veteran
 
gunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Ya know, I take offense to your post. Okay, not really because internet message boards rarely offend me, but I do think YOU are JUDGING me, something that is a big no-no on this thread, if you haven't noticed. You are assessing my character based on my comment that the family should stop searching the Dis or public social media sites to find strength and support. Really? Because of that comment, I lack compassion? Judge much? I see a definite theme to this thread from those who don't agree. The "judging" word is being thrown around an awful lot, but it is amazing how many are perfectly comfortable with judging as long as it done in defense of the family.

I can't begin to imagine what this family must be going through and I hope I never have to live it. But if I am looking for compassion, I know that I take the good with the bad if I am looking on public, uncensored, unfiltered, message board. I think people are idiots for going on their FB page and blasting them. But there really is a simple, quick way for the family to avoid those idiots. They have established enough of a caring support base that they can go private at this point. If they choose not to, that is their option, but that is their choice and they are going to end up seeing some things they don't want to see. But, hey, feel free to continue to judge me. I understand that if I don't hold the same opinion as some on this thread, I will be judged. Ironic, no?
Enough already. You have stated your opinion repeatedly, move on.
__________________
Disneyland Resort Veteran - Feb 2012 Wonder Mexican Riviera - Sept 2012 Wonder California Pixar Cruise - Oct 2013 Wonder Halloween Bahamas Cruise
Myself, DW, and DD(5)
gunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #269
clarkshel
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan67 View Post

I rarely post here anymore, but after reading this thread and seeing your posts, which imo, lack not only sensitivity and compassion, but a sense of decency as well. I have found in my life that the universe sometimes has a way of making things even and dispensing a form of justice out to those who have earned it through their cruel words and actions. It doesn't happen all the time or often enough, but it does happen. I'm a firm believer in you get back in what you give out.

To me, it speaks volumes to the character of a person, when they can't find find even the smallest amount of compassion in times like this of terrible tragedy. I really don't understand why you chose to go the route you have taken in this thread, but I do sincerely and honestly wish you this. One day if a terrible crisis hits you and you find yourself in despair like this poor family this thread is about, that people treat you with compassion and sympathy, unlike what you have shown here.

Food for thought.
VERY well said and I agree 100%.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #270
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunka View Post
Enough already. You have stated your opinion repeatedly, move on.
I understand, and of course you are right. Nobody is welcome here unless they agree 100%. I'll leave now so those of you who are screaming the loudest about judging can continue to judge me. Have fun!
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: