Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #196
mickeymom923
"Someday my prince will come"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
Actually, those make drowning (in some situations) much easier. First, because people think that they are floatation devices and protection from drowning (like you do) and, thus, let their guard down around their children. Secondly, all they do is keep arms above water (since they are on the arms). I've seen more than one child with their head under the water and their arms (with arm bands on them) sticking out of the water. With the arm bands on, even if they could swim/tread water, they are in trouble since it is really hard to get their arms back down and into the water (in order to try to swim/tread water).

Definitely not something that means "they couldn't drown". And definitely not something I will ever put on my child (or any child I'm supervising in the water).
I see children wearing them so I thought they worked. Thanks for letting me know NOT to ever buy/use them.
Victory 12/14/03, Voyager of the Seas 12/18/04, Glory 8/20/05, Radiance of the Seas 2/26/06, Adventure of the Seas 12/10/06, Navigator Of the Seas 12/13/07, Ruby Princess 11/29/08, MSC Poesia 11/10/09, Costa Altantica 1/23/10 Carnival Magic 8/14/11, Allure of the Seas 11/20/11 Oasis of the Seas 5/24/14

Disney Wonder- 8/21/03, 8/19/04, 12/8/05, 9/17/06 (11 night southern), 9/23/07, 5/21/09 MY WEDDING CRUISE, 7/26/09, 11/28/10, 4/29/12
Disney Magic- 8/19/06, 8/18/07 (14 night transatlantic) , 9/24/08, 10/3/09, 12/10/09, 9/18/10 (14 night transatlantic),1/20/14
Disney Dream 1/30/11, 10/21/12, 10/19/14
Disney Fantasy 9/22/12, 11/17/12

mickeymom923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #197
MnMomtoboys
DIS Veteran

Swim rings are a TOY. My niece was using one last Dec. and decided she was bored with it and flipped out. She started to drown and thank God my son was a couple of feet away and grabbed her.

I just read that Chase is going home. Prayers to the family that he recovers.

I hope that his parents don't read here I would hate that they saw the comments made about them after suffering this tragic accident. If you want parents to blame and hate there is a trial going on her deciding whether or not a father was insane when he killed his 3 girls last summer. Also we just had a Mom kill her 2 kids and herself. And a man just got arrested for letting his 2 year old wander the streets with a bottle of booze. Save your blame and hated for those so called parents, not the ones who have become victims of any parents worst nightmare.

MN: The land of 10,000 lakes and at least 1 idiot.
MnMomtoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #198
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

when they say going home? home home or transferred to a hospital close to home? has he improved?
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #199
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
when they say going home? home home or transferred to a hospital close to home? has he improved?
They're being transferred to a hospital in MN, their home state. Apparently the got some bad news on the extent of his brain damage this morning, but they have a really positive attitude about it. Please pray for this family.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #200
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

I just read the update. Extension damage was done to the brain. The part that Poor poor kid. It breaks my heart.

Here's a snippet for those interested:

Quote:
The is Basel Ganglia area was damaged. This is the area that controls motor programming, movement, tremors, dystonia- basically the area that controls his arms, legs, fingers and most motor skills. The Internal Cbapsnee was also damaged. this is the are of his bran that controls his temp, heart rate, respiratory rate, thirst, hunger, sweating...ect. This explains what we are seeing medically- with all of the fluctuations. His Reticular Activating System was damaged- the area that effects his sleep/ wake cycle, and is optical lobs....or eye sight. Lets face it, we all knew our Warrior had some damaged up there. But he is a fighter, and he has all of us behind him.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #201
Trisherella
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomtoboys View Post
Swim rings are a TOY. My niece was using one last Dec. and decided she was bored with it and flipped out. She started to drown and thank God my son was a couple of feet away and grabbed her.

I just read that Chase is going home. Prayers to the family that he recovers.

I hope that his parents don't read here I would hate that they saw the comments made about them after suffering this tragic accident. If you want parents to blame and hate there is a trial going on her deciding whether or not a father was insane when he killed his 3 girls last summer. Also we just had a Mom kill her 2 kids and herself. And a man just got arrested for letting his 2 year old wander the streets with a bottle of booze. Save your blame and hated for those so called parents, not the ones who have become victims of any parents worst nightmare.
I dunno, where you see hatred, I see people who are horrified, sympathetic, and thinking of every possible way the chance of such a tragedy could be lessened in the future. (whether that be added lifeguards, or rules that parents have to supervise children under a certain age, or that they need to wear lifevests etc.)

Seeing "hatred" in those comments is impressively judgy in its own right. I'm willing to bet there is NO ONE on these boards that doesn't sympathize with that family and wish for a complete recovery for Chase. The fact that people are speculating on rules/ideas/programs etc. that could lessen the chance of tragedy for another parent in the future changes nothing in the current situation. If anyone will be judging those parents unfairly, I know EXACTLY whom that will be. THE PARENTS THEMSELVES.

So, so sorry for them!
Trisherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #202
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

There's an update. He's home. Very sad update.

I highly doubt the parents could ever come here, want to come here, back here, if they were even here at one time, to read comments. I'm sure they are reading their comments from THEIR websites, obviously. They have more important things to read.

Also, tonight is the first night they are walking into their home, without Chase and their life forever changing, yet they are walking into their home as they left it. Chase's stuff, their life, as they knew it while they excitedly got ready for their cruise. I pray for them. Just looking as his bed, unpacking,....well, you understand what I'm saying.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 04-10-2013 at 03:37 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #203
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisherella View Post
I dunno, where you see hatred, I see people who are horrified, sympathetic, and thinking of every possible way the chance of such a tragedy could be lessened in the future. (whether that be added lifeguards, or rules that parents have to supervise children under a certain age, or that they need to wear lifevests etc.)

Seeing "hatred" in those comments is impressively judgy in its own right. I'm willing to bet there is NO ONE on these boards that doesn't sympathize with that family and wish for a complete recovery for Chase. The fact that people are speculating on rules/ideas/programs etc. that could lessen the chance of tragedy for another parent in the future changes nothing in the current situation. If anyone will be judging those parents unfairly, I know EXACTLY whom that will be. THE PARENTS THEMSELVES.

So, so sorry for them!

I have to agree a discussion about all of this is necessary, if it doesnt change formal rules about pools on the cruise ship, maybe it will make a parent think twice about their kids around a pool, whether that is getting in the water with them or extending the use of life jackets etc.

I think every single one of us is praying for this child, this poor little boy and his family.

After reading the update, I am amazed how much brain damage can be down in a short period of time in the water.

It is scary and eye opening.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #204
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post

I highly doubt the parents could ever come here, want to come here, back here, if they were even here at one time, to read comments. I'm sure they are reading their comments from THEIR websites, obviously. They have more important things to read.
Thankfully, someone is sanitizing their website. I was horrified to see posters, identifying themselves as DISers, asking the most insensitive questions and hurling accusations...on Chase's FB!!! Some folks just have no couth. I don't know why, I'm still shocked, over how hateful and downright mean people can be.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #205
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
There's an update. He's home. Very sad update.

Also, tonight is the first night they are walking into their home, without Chase and their life forever changing, yet they are walking into their home as they left it. Chase's stuff, their life, as they knew it while they excitedly got ready for their cruise. I pray for them. Just looking as his bed, unpacking,....well, you understand what I'm saying.
So heartbreaking, isnt it? They have to go back home with the memory that Chase left the house a healthy boy, but came back in a hospital bed, brain damaged. Who knew they'd return with Chase being in the hospital bed? I cannot imagine. Also i cant help but think about the other family of the 13 year old boy who DIED while at Disney's Pop Century. I cannot imagine returning from vacation without my child. I'd be devastated. God bless them all. Its such a tragic thing to go thru. Breaks my heart.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #206
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymom923 View Post
I see children wearing them so I thought they worked. Thanks for letting me know NOT to ever buy/use them.
If you are looking for something for your younger children to use as a type of flotations device that isn't a life jacket, try a puddle jumper. They go around the arms of the child as well as the chest. The way they are designed, if your child is face down in the water, they will flip the child so that they are on their back, making it so that they are less likely to inhale water and drown. It is one of the few flotation devices approved by the coast guard, as well. They are even available at Wal Mart. They look like this:

And, of course, ALWAYS watch your own child and NEVER allow them to go swimming without adult supervision.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #207
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

I know a young man who suffered a similarly awful accident, in his case he fell from a high dive and landed on the concrete rather than the pool I'm pretty sure that 2 weeks after the accident he wasn't doing some of the thing Chase seems to be doing, such as breathing on his own, and responding to some stimuli. Everyone was told to expect that he would either die, or remain in a coma.

That young man regained a lot of functioning. He spent many months in rehab, but came home walking, talking, fighting with his siblings, and doing the things a child his age (10) should be doing. He'll always have some disabilities related to the accident, such as difficulty using one hand, and some short term memory loss, but he's having a happy adolescence, and is on his way to being a productive independent adult.

I hope that there's a similar miracle in Chase's future.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #208
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I know a young man who suffered a similarly awful accident, in his case he fell from a high dive and landed on the concrete rather than the pool

I hope that there's a similar miracle in Chase's future.
Different type of brain injury.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #209
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Thankfully, someone is sanitizing their website. I was horrified to see posters, identifying themselves as DISers, asking the most insensitive questions and hurling accusations...on Chase's FB!!! Some folks just have no couth. I don't know why, I'm still shocked, over how hateful and downright mean people can be.
That is disgusting. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #210
MnMomtoboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
That is disgusting. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.
It was disgusting to read those remarks here and on facebook. This family needs compassion and prayers not those disgusting words.

MN: The land of 10,000 lakes and at least 1 idiot.
MnMomtoboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: