Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #181
Disneyqueendenmark
Mouseketeer

I just can't stop thinking about little Chase!

Hope that he will get better soon! And that his family get to take him to their home state....!
Think about him - and his family - alot, and read every update on Facebook.
Pray that Chase will prove the nurses wrong and that he will recover!
Disneyland Resort - Christmas 2011
Walt Disney World AOA & FQ - January 2013
Upcoming Disneyland trip, Christmas 2014
Disneyqueendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #182
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

I am constantly thinking and praying about Chase, too.

We took DD3 and DD4 (at the time) on the Magic about 9 years ago. I dressed them in brightly-colored bathing suits, the same color, so I could more easily keep my eyes on them in the VERY crowded pool. They were in the Mickey pool, which was very shallow, when I saw DD4 slip and slide under on her back. To my horror, she did not resurface - she panicked and did not know that she needed to put her feet underneath her to stand back up. I jumped into that pool fully-clothed and with my shoes on to pull her back up.

I never thought I would have to worry about them in such a shallow pool, but it goes to show that accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere.

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #183
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
Um, no. Every baby who falls into a pool goes under. Try jumping in the pool and not going under, it doesn't work. For a baby to swim back to the surface and flip, takes about as long as it would for you to jump in and rescue them.

Your baby isn't going to drown in the amount of time it takes you to jump in the pool. That's not what "seconds matter" means.

The ISR program is pretty controversial. It's not something I would do with my child.
I agree, I as just going to ask why would she have had to call 911 if she was right there, why wouldn't you jump in and get her...no need for 911 in that case.
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #184
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator

I agree, I as just going to ask why would she have had to call 911 if she was right there, why wouldn't you jump in and get her...no need for 911 in that case.
I reread the original statement, I wasnt reading it wrong afterall. I missed the part where she said she was standing next to her DD. In the case, ya, you dont need 911 if youre right there, just grab her.

Last edited by NoSoup4U; 04-08-2013 at 04:44 PM.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #185
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
My interpretation is baby saved herself, before Mom reached the child. She may have been able to "get her", but how much water would she have swallowed?

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #186
mickeymom923
"Someday my prince will come"

I'm hoping that Chase has a total recovery.

On a side note, why doesn't all children (supervised or unsupervised) wear those arm band floaty things so they couldn't drown. You can buy them at the dollar store.
Victory 12/14/03, Voyager of the Seas 12/18/04, Glory 8/20/05, Radiance of the Seas 2/26/06, Adventure of the Seas 12/10/06, Navigator Of the Seas 12/13/07, Ruby Princess 11/29/08, MSC Poesia 11/10/09, Costa Altantica 1/23/10

Disney Wonder- 8/21/03, 8/19/04, 12/8/05, 9/17/06 (11 night southern), 9/23/07, 5/21/09 MY WEDDING CRUISE, 7/26/09, 11/28/10, 4/29/12
Disney Magic- 8/19/06, 8/18/07 (14 night transatlantic) , 9/24/08, 10/3/09, 12/10/09, 9/18/10 (14 night transatlantic)
Disney Dream 1/30/11, Disney Fantasy 11/17/12

mickeymom923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #187
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymom923 View Post

On a side note, why doesn't all children (supervised or unsupervised) wear those arm band floaty things so they couldn't drown. You can buy them at the dollar store.
Actually, those make drowning (in some situations) much easier. First, because people think that they are floatation devices and protection from drowning (like you do) and, thus, let their guard down around their children. Secondly, all they do is keep arms above water (since they are on the arms). I've seen more than one child with their head under the water and their arms (with arm bands on them) sticking out of the water. With the arm bands on, even if they could swim/tread water, they are in trouble since it is really hard to get their arms back down and into the water (in order to try to swim/tread water).

Definitely not something that means "they couldn't drown". And definitely not something I will ever put on my child (or any child I'm supervising in the water).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #188
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymom923

I agree! But on a side note, those arm floaties suck. I think the body suit with a padded floatie built in it is much better. I can't remember the name for it, but you know what I mean right?
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #189
C8eOg
Mouseketeer

It's sad how judgemental some people are being. I've read the care pages and the fb page and these parents are heartbroken but so strong and positive regarding their son's progress. There's a lot of guessing and assuming going on based on misinformation. The little boy, Chase, is 4. His siblings have returned home with family members and his parents remain with him at the hospital. They are working toward being able to move him to a hospital in their home state. I read in another post that seemed reputable this was a multi-family vacation which is why the parents were not with the little boy but it appears that he was not purposely left alone. These are not bad parents. Please, be careful when you judge - especially when you don't have all the information. People say a lot of things online - that does NOT make it true.

And, another thing - I've been in that pool - on the Fantasy - and it's crazy crowded. Especially on embarkation day! In fact, we didn't spend a lot of time in it because it was so crowded. I was actually a bit surprised with the amount of guests at it's smaller size. You absolutely can't get in and not get kicked - So the fact that this little boy got lost momentarily in the pool is not surprising. It is, however, terribly heartbreaking. Thank God there were people that got to him quickly and were able to help him. I will continue to pray for Chase and his family and I hope others do too.

2006: Port Orleans FQ (EPCOT Flower & Garden Festival)
2008: CB (MNSSHP)
2012: West'n Carib 7 nt on Fantasy!

First time cruising!

Cameron & Casey
Alex (11) & Abby Kate (9)
C8eOg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #190
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

After seeing an arm floatie float right off a kids arm in the deep end, I decided to go with Coast Guard approved life jackets, the kind that have straps around the chest and one through the crotch (we didn't have those one piece suits with the blocks in them.) The only one who had trouble with that was Christian. He couldn't keep his head upright for several years. We had to get him a special needs thing that wrapped around his body and forced him upright.

What I don't get is why a parent would have to jump into the pool, except when a kid just falls or jumps in unexpectedly. I have NEVER allowed my kids to be in the pool without one of us in there with them, until they were about 8-10 and strong swimmers. And I am never more than arm's length from Christian. Despite that caution, each one of my kids had one episode of going to the bottom and not coming up, requiring me to react immediately. I shudder to think what might have happened if my attention had been momentarily elsewhere.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #191
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Interestingly on facebook today John Heald -- the spokesman for Carnival -- was asking for opinions. Seems a kid was using a flotation device, one shaped like a ring, in the pool. Kid did not know how to swim and a Carnival employee told him he wasn't allowed to use the ring in the pool. The mom was angry because she wanted the kid to be able to use the device in the pool.

Most people thought it was a bad idea . . .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DISBoards
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #192
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
Interestingly on facebook today John Heald -- the spokesman for Carnival -- was asking for opinions. Seems a kid was using a flotation device, one shaped like a ring, in the pool. Kid did not know how to swim and a Carnival employee told him he wasn't allowed to use the ring in the pool. The mom was angry because she wanted the kid to be able to use the device in the pool.

Most people thought it was a bad idea . . .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DISBoards
It's a terrible idea! Wet kids can slip right through that ring! I've seen it happen. And the pools on cruise ships are so busy it would be very easy to overlook a small child sitting on the bottom of a pool. I say props to the lifeguard for doing the right thing. Mom is a moron.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #193
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
Actually, those make drowning (in some situations) much easier. First, because people think that they are floatation devices and protection from drowning (like you do) and, thus, let their guard down around their children. Secondly, all they do is keep arms above water (since they are on the arms). I've seen more than one child with their head under the water and their arms (with arm bands on them) sticking out of the water. With the arm bands on, even if they could swim/tread water, they are in trouble since it is really hard to get their arms back down and into the water (in order to try to swim/tread water).

Definitely not something that means "they couldn't drown". And definitely not something I will ever put on my child (or any child I'm supervising in the water).
I agree. I bucked the AAP advice and had my kids in swim lessons starting around their first birthdays, same as my mom did for me when I was a baby. And all three of my kids can swim, could from 3 or 4 years old. But the middle child had a scary incident with those things in a friend's backyard pool. I won't buy them (I was a lifeguard when I was younger and our training talked extensively about the dangers of such "false security" devices) so of course she jumped at the chance to play with her friend's. She drifted/floated into the deep end, where the water was a few inches over her head, and couldn't keep her head above water or swim effectively because of the floaties lifting her arms without lifting the rest of her. It was a minor incident with no harm done because her friend's parents were right there in the pool with the kids (she was 6 or 7), but she never asked for dollar store floaties again.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #194
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
I agree. I bucked the AAP advice and had my kids in swim lessons starting around their first birthdays, same as my mom did for me when I was a baby .
Thankfully, they've changed their opinion.

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #195
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

When my girls were little they used the arm floaties, but only in the shallow end of the pool with a grown up standing there to supervise. They started swim lessons at day camp when the older one was 4 1/2 and the younger one was a week shy of her third birthday. Nothing substitutes for adequate supervision, of course, but the more they know . . .especially since my parents have a pool.

Now my older daughter is a teacher and has a summer job at a day camp as a counselor. Although the lifeguard/ swim instructor is in charge, my daughter also has to supervise kids in the pool. The more adult eyes on those kids, the better . . .

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: