Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #166
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
This whole blaming the parents every time something bad happens to a child? It's got to stop. Sure, there are going to be times that the parent could have done a better job. But most of the time? It's just a horrific accident that just 'happened'.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #167
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyqueendenmark View Post
According to the Facebook page the little boy is doing better and better - and is now breathing on his own! So amazing!
I keep praying for his recovery! Can't imagine what the family are going through right now.
It is just a horrible and tragic accident....
Thanks for the update. I'm really glad to hear the boy is doing better. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. May this all be a distant memory with no lasting effects for this family.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #168
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

I would highly encourage anyone with a child age 5 and under to consider taking their child to ISR swim lessons. It is basically survival swimming for young children. We have done it every year since ODD was 13 months old.

Most drownings occur when people are around. And it happens quietly...not noisily like in the movies. My mom was very much against ISR for ODD but a couple of months after her lessons finished, she accidentally fell into the pool (and I was RIGHT next to her...she slipped on the pool deck). Because of her ISR training, my then 17 month old had already flipped over and was floating before I could jump in and get her.

If it had not been for ISR, I would have had to call 911.
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #169
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
This whole blaming the parents every time something bad happens to a child? It's got to stop. Sure, there are going to be times that the parent could have done a better job. But most of the time? It's just a horrific accident that just 'happened'.
To add, demanding that the world be 100% safe and corporations must have ever possible fail safe available, has to stop as well. People need to take personal responsibility and understand life has risks.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #170
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Please remember, this brave little man is fighting very hard and has a difficult road to recovery. There are regular updates on his FB. He needs our prayers and positive thoughts.

Last edited by TLSnell1981; 04-08-2013 at 11:22 AM.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #171
TLSnell1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr View Post
To add, demanding that the world be 100% safe and corporations must have ever possible fail safe available, has to stop as well. People need to take personal responsibility and understand life has risks.
Thank God, someone was there, that knew what to do...and wasn't concerned with "liability".
Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #172
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandVsmama View Post
I would highly encourage anyone with a child age 5 and under to consider taking their child to ISR swim lessons. It is basically survival swimming for young children. We have done it every year since ODD was 13 months old.

Most drownings occur when people are around. And it happens quietly...not noisily like in the movies. My mom was very much against ISR for ODD but a couple of months after her lessons finished, she accidentally fell into the pool (and I was RIGHT next to her...she slipped on the pool deck). Because of her ISR training, my then 17 month old had already flipped over and was floating before I could jump in and get her.

If it had not been for ISR, I would have had to call 911.

Why wouldn't you have just jumped in and grabbed her?
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #173
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan

Good question.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #174
TLSnell1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
She did.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #175
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

I've been reading Chase's facebook page. Poor kid, slow progress. He's breathing on his own but they say most likely he's not progressing because of the brain damage. The nurses have said that this could be as good as it gets. However, you just never know. The lord works in mysterious ways. He just might be up and about before we know it. So keep those prayers and positive thoughts coming.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #176
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
She did.
Then why would she have needed to call 911? I'm not seeing the benefit of the ISR here.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #177
TLSnell1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
Then why would she have needed to call 911? I'm not seeing the benefit of the ISR here.
The child would have gone under, before mom could have grabbed her. She didn't need to call 911 because of ISR. Remember seconds matter.

Last edited by TLSnell1981; 04-08-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #178
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
The child would have gone under, before mom could have grabbed her. She didn't need to call 911 because of ISR. Remember seconds matter.
I think the other poster and I misunderstood what ISR actually is...didnt realise that since she was floating (on her back), she was doing what she was taught in ISR class. We read it a whole different way. Thanks for clarifying!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #179
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Um, no. Every baby who falls into a pool goes under. Try jumping in the pool and not going under, it doesn't work. For a baby to swim back to the surface and flip, takes about as long as it would for you to jump in and rescue them.

Your baby isn't going to drown in the amount of time it takes you to jump in the pool. That's not what "seconds matter" means.

The ISR program is pretty controversial. It's not something I would do with my child.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #180
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

My daughter did the ISR when she just turned 3. It was unbelievable traumatic for all of us, at the time I was feeling like I regretted what we had gotten into. She hated it and I was sick to my stomach over putting her thru it!!! Shortly after we were all in the pool one day and she fell off a boat and before we could get to her she got herself back to the surface and was floating on her back exactly like she had been taught, it was like a reflex, and then was able to grab back onto the boat. That was the only time I saw her having to use that skill in a spontaneous situation but it did impress me. I do think on her last lesson they literally threw her in with her clothes and sneakers on.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: