Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #121
WDWlover89
Earning My Ears
 
WDWlover89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post

I won't tell him! He can be impressed by my score!
And don't forget to get your button! When you get 999,999 points go to the Photopass counter to get a button that says you are a Galactic Hero!
WDWlover89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #122
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWlover89 View Post
And don't forget to get your button! When you get 999,999 points go to the Photopass counter to get a button that says you are a Galactic Hero!
No Way! I am definitely going to try that. My cousin will be there too. I would like that. He kicked my tail-end last year at TSMM.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #123
lucas
°o°
 
lucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 21,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraMeansDawn View Post
Here's a very little known fact...it USED to be Leota Toombs face in the Crystal Ball but they upgraded the animation technology a few years ago and it didn't look quite right anymore to use Leota so the face you see now is actually modeled by her daughter. They don't advertise that much because the story of Leota being a beloved Disneyland employee is so dear that it sounds better. And when you hear Leota's real voice at the end of the ride you hear why they couldn't use her voice. It's just so sweet.

I have also heard the Imagineers aren't so crazy about the dinner plate hidden mickey in the ballroom scene since it was placed by CMs not the imagineers and they consider the hidden mickey something of a signature on their work of art.

You're right - good one!

From: http://davelandweb.com/hauntedmansion/40th.html

(August 9, 2009) BACKSTORY: Two panel discussions occurred to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of The Mansion; one held at the Grand Californian Hotel and one held during the dinner served over in California Adventure. The first discussion had Tony Baxter, Kim Irvine, and Jason Surrell (Imagineer and author of The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies).

Kim showed up in full face makeup as Madame Leota, with her blond hair teased out appropriately. She truly does resemble her mother (the original Madame Leota, Imagineer Leota Toombs). Most touching part of the discussion was hearing Kim talk about her mother, whose voice as Madame Leota was dubbed by actress Eleanor Audley. Leotas actual higher-pitched voice can be heard at the end of the attraction, where she acted and spoke for herself as Little Leota, the ethereal bridal figure that repeats "Hurry Back. Kim said that when she went on the attraction with her children, she would always point to "Grandma" at the end of the ride. When Madame Leota had to be re-created for the Nightmare Before Christmas Holiday overlay at Disneyland, Kim stood in for her mother. With advancements in life-mask creation, the detail of Kim's head turned out to be much more lifelike than the one created 40 years ago from her mother's face. When the original film of her mother was projected onto her (Kim's) life-mask, it was a perfect fit because of the similar bone structure between mother and daughter. So when you enter the seance room, it is Kims head in the crystal ball year-round with her mother's face projected onto the head during the off-holiday season. Kim discussed the process at both lectures and how her head was put in a brace so that it wouldn't move while being filmed for the Seance projection; at the 2nd lecture, she let the audience know that her mom came home from the process and told her that X Atencio tied her hair to the chair when she did it; what a kinky bunch those early Imagineers must have been! Kim was once recognized by a woman who asked her if she was the woman in the Seance room at the Mansion; when Kim replied "yes," the woman said, "Don't you get tired of sitting under that table with your head in that crystal ball all day long?" Kim had many other fond memories of her mother (as well as a large blow-up of an opening day photo with her mom) and was proud to be carrying on the tradition of working at Disney.
__________________



lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #124
PrincessTori96
Disney Princess
 
PrincessTori96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 105

Some more facts about the Haunted Mansion; Constance Hatchaway (attic black widow bride) details.
In Constance's wedding portraits, she gains a new pearl necklace with each marriage. She started off by marrying a farmer's son and was given a single set of pearls which she wore with her wedding dress. With each new husband she gains a new necklace and her mouth goes from a frown to a sinister smile, since each husband is wealthier than the last. The gifts she receives also get more extravagant. Yet she wears the same dress in each picture.
One of the gifts she received for her marriage with Frank Banks is a cabinet. In it there is a woman figure looking down at a man figure who has fallen and lost his head.
George Hightower's grave can be seen in the stretching room portrait as well as a woman sitting on it holding a rose. Constance is holding a rose in the last picture in the attic.
There is also a hat rack that holds the hats of Constance's dead husbands.
__________________


How can you read this? It doesn't have any pictures!
I'm just a princess enjoying my adventures through Walt Disney World every weekend...
PrincessTori96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #125
DVC Mary
I must have missed the lobster
 
DVC Mary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Illinois, BWV, AKV, DCL
Posts: 2,257

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post



According to Hidden Magic, feral cats roam the parks to keep the rodent population down. That is funny in the house of the mouse.
Feral cats, bugs, & I thought all the animals were at AK!

You never see a cat. Do they come out at night & then respond to a whistle like the animals at AK?
__________________
WL'99, OKW '00, BWV/AKL '01, AKL '02, BCV '03, VWL '04 & DCL '04, SSR/AKL CL '05, VWL & DCL '06, BWV '07, Queen Nana's 1st trip 80th B-Day GF CL/BWV '08, BWV/ VWL '08 , BCV DCL AKLV '09, BCV '09, Poly CL / AKV 2010, Alaska DCL 2011, AKV CL, BCV, Canada Magic & Fantasy DCL '12,VWL'13,BWV/AKL CL X-mas'13,Univ/VWL Summer '14, DCL AK ?? '15
DVC Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #126
TARAMEOW
Mouseketeer
 
TARAMEOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mary View Post
What kind of bugs??

Eek!
According to the book I have one kind is the Delphastus puslius it's a beetle that can eat up to 500 whitefly eggs per day.

Another factoid: Liberty Squares liberty bell was cast from the same mold used to create the original bell in Philadelphia.
__________________

TARAMEOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #127
dizzycrazy
Earning My Ears
 
dizzycrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stafford, VA
Posts: 60

Wow!

I am amazed by how much you all know! What great facts!
__________________
~Niki

DH DW DS 10 DD 6 DDog

July 2000 ~ First Trip with DH! Celebrated Second Anniversay! ~ POR
July 2007 ~ First Family Trip to Disney! Celebrated 9th Anniversary! DS 4, DD 9 mo ~ Pop



dizzycrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #128
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?
 
Lintasare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere in Middle-Earth
Posts: 5,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post

And here's another one to add, though this one might have been said. Because most humans have a natural instinct to look or lean towards the right, Disney built all of the locations that would better appeal to entering the park on MSUSA on the right as you enter the park. In the morning, grab a bagel and a cup of (soon to be Starbucks) coffee at MSB. During any time, get the energy to tour the park by grabbing some candy to munch on at the Confectionary or have lunch at Tony's.

Conversely, as you exit the park (so on the right as you are leaving), you'll find locations catering to folks who want to "remember" your day. Obviously, the Emporium provides souvenirs but the photo center lets you take home photos, too.
Another couple of factoids about MSUSA as told by our KTTK guide, I hope these aren't repeats. MSUSA slopes upwards slightly towards the castle and the buildings get taller as you walk towards the Hub. This gives the illusion of the castle being further away when you enter the park. Conversely at the end of the day and you are tired MSUSA slopes downwards towards the train station and the buildings get shorter to make the walk seem shorter.
__________________
Numerous trips as a child and adult. Next Trip: 9th Annual Food and Wine Birthday trip to POP!, CP Intern Fall Advantage 2002 Hollywood Brown Derby



Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #129
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer
 
csummerlin55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook
DiVine mesmerizes me. According to this site, she is played by many different women. Divine doesn't make eye contact, sign autographs or pose for pictures as she maintains character as an ivy or plant. Although, on several occasions, I have found her to be a little flirty! Oh that temptress.
She posed around my grandma and her wheelchair the one time we have been able to catch her. (Grandma was embarrassed at all of the attention it drew.) I don't think this is a regular practice and it wasn't upon request, just spontaneous. She also made eye contact with me a few times and my grandma while she was posing around her (I believe or is that just my wishful thinking, lol). Of course, I wasn't shy about telling her how beautiful she looked. We must have watched her for a good 20 minutes or more.

Last edited by csummerlin55; 04-04-2013 at 01:59 AM.
csummerlin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #130
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer
 
Just_Trish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post


According to Hidden Magic, feral cats roam the parks to keep the rodent population down. That is funny in the house of the mouse.

I wondered about that! Every now and then my DD and I will catch a whiff of cat pee and say, "Smells like home!". LOL, we have a lot of feral cats that live in the woods nearby.
__________________
Walt Disney is my 7th cousin, 4 times removed. Unfortunately, that does not qualify me for a family discount.

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...
March 2001 – ASMo June 2001 - ASMu July 2002 - Coronado Springs May 2003 - AKL Sept 2004 - POP - MNSSHP Oct 2005 - ASSp - MNSSHP Feb 2007 - POP - Pirate & Princess Party Nov 2009 – POP - DDs Sweet 16, MNSSHP
Sept 2010 - POP - MNSSHP Dec 2010 - POP - MVMCP Oct 2011 – POP - MNSSHP Feb 2012 - POP - One More Disney Day Whole 24 Hrs! May 2012 - POP Oct 2012 – POP - MNSSHP Dec 2012 – POP - MVMCP March 2013 - POP - My 40th B'day!
May 2013 - POP - Monstrous Summer - Whole 24 Hours! October 2013 - POP - MNSSHP
May 2014 – POP – Rock Your Disney Side – Whole 24 Hours!


Upcoming Trips
Aug 2014 - POP - Villains Unleashed! Sept 2014 – POP – MNSSHP Nov 2014 – Port Orleans Royal Room – Dds 21st B'Day! Dec 2014 – POP – MVMCP
Just_Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #131
pampam
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,105

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mary View Post
Feral cats, bugs, & I thought all the animals were at AK!

You never see a cat. Do they come out at night & then respond to a whistle like the animals at AK?
We saw a cat at Pop Century, one night. It skitted into the hedge as soon as we saw it. However, I doubt that Disney put it there. I'm thinking some people must have abandonened it or its ancestors nearby.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #132
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

While investigating a a question for another thread, I found this interesting story about the worlds first truly themed water park -River Country.

It includes nice photos, brain eating amoebas, and great memories. I went to River Country in 1977 (but not with my dad - my parents had divorced before my 1973 trip). That day at that waterpark was my favorite day at any theme park ever. I was 9 years old and in heaven (of course I didn't know about the amoebas! ).

I have never been to either of the current waterparks.

Speaking of water parks, if you haven't read this thread - do yourself a favor and check it out. It is describes some hilarious adventures in the waterparks. The opening story about May Day Falls cracks me.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #133
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by csummerlin55 View Post
She posed around my grandma and her wheelchair the one time we have been able to catch her. (Grandma was embarrassed at all of the attention it drew.) I don't think this is a regular practice and it wasn't upon request, just spontaneous. She also made eye contact with me a few times and my grandma while she was posing around her (I believe or is that just my wishful thinking, lol). Of course, I wasn't shy about telling her how beautiful she looked. We must have watched her for a good 20 minutes or more.
Good story. I would love to see that picture! The way Divine moves is truly Art.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #134
tzvdmd
Enjoying my trip aboard The Metroliner!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADnNOLA View Post
I thought of one not mentioned!

The Cinderella fountain behind the Castle, if you look from below up at the Cinderella statue towards the mural behind her, you can "crown" her (there is a crown in the mural).
You also have to bend over to get a drink from the low fountains so it looks like you are bowing to her.
__________________
Rick
tzvdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #135
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran
 
AuroraMeansDawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
You're right - good one!

From: http://davelandweb.com/hauntedmansion/40th.html

(August 9, 2009) BACKSTORY: Two panel discussions occurred to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of The Mansion; one held at the Grand Californian Hotel and one held during the dinner served over in California Adventure. The first discussion had Tony Baxter, Kim Irvine, and Jason Surrell (Imagineer and author of The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies).

Kim showed up in full face makeup as Madame Leota, with her blond hair teased out appropriately. She truly does resemble her mother (the original Madame Leota, Imagineer Leota Toombs). Most touching part of the discussion was hearing Kim talk about her mother, whose voice as Madame Leota was dubbed by actress Eleanor Audley. Leotas actual higher-pitched voice can be heard at the end of the attraction, where she acted and spoke for herself as Little Leota, the ethereal bridal figure that repeats "Hurry Back. Kim said that when she went on the attraction with her children, she would always point to "Grandma" at the end of the ride. When Madame Leota had to be re-created for the Nightmare Before Christmas Holiday overlay at Disneyland, Kim stood in for her mother. With advancements in life-mask creation, the detail of Kim's head turned out to be much more lifelike than the one created 40 years ago from her mother's face. When the original film of her mother was projected onto her (Kim's) life-mask, it was a perfect fit because of the similar bone structure between mother and daughter. So when you enter the seance room, it is Kims head in the crystal ball year-round with her mother's face projected onto the head during the off-holiday season. Kim discussed the process at both lectures and how her head was put in a brace so that it wouldn't move while being filmed for the Seance projection; at the 2nd lecture, she let the audience know that her mom came home from the process and told her that X Atencio tied her hair to the chair when she did it; what a kinky bunch those early Imagineers must have been! Kim was once recognized by a woman who asked her if she was the woman in the Seance room at the Mansion; when Kim replied "yes," the woman said, "Don't you get tired of sitting under that table with your head in that crystal ball all day long?" Kim had many other fond memories of her mother (as well as a large blow-up of an opening day photo with her mom) and was proud to be carrying on the tradition of working at Disney.
Thank you for posting this. I knew the essence of the story but not all of the back story. Our KTTK Guide was a little shocked when I asked her about it and gave us bare bones info and said "you're not supposed to know that" but I think that was part of her making us feel were were getting really great insider info.
__________________
Dawn
"...and they named the princess Aurora, which means Dawn"
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: