Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #106
nocomment711
Ces Soirees-La

I don't have anything to really add. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted the stories!
nocomment711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #107
jmendez24
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocomment711 View Post
I don't have anything to really add. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted the stories!
agreed! Great thread! I really enjoyed reading it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #108
etedesco
Earning My Ears

WDW has the largest privately-owned laundry facility in the world. They do so much laundry that they invented their own washing drums to accomodate the volume. (I visited the laundry as part of the Disney Leadership Institute)

Also, I haven't verified this but I've been told that Walt is created with creating the trash cans seen around the parks. The trash cans of the day did not have tops so you could see the trash, which Walt hated. He also knew that no one would want to touch the can to remove a lid. So, he invented the hinged door trash cans!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #109
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
Madame Leota was played by Leota Toombs (face) and Eleanor Audley (voice). Our KTTK guide said what a weird last name to be in the Haunted Mansion! Leota Toombs also plays the Ghost Hostess who appears at the end of the attraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_characters
Here's a very little known fact...it USED to be Leota Toombs face in the Crystal Ball but they upgraded the animation technology a few years ago and it didn't look quite right anymore to use Leota so the face you see now is actually modeled by her daughter. They don't advertise that much because the story of Leota being a beloved Disneyland employee is so dear that it sounds better. And when you hear Leota's real voice at the end of the ride you hear why they couldn't use her voice. It's just so sweet.

I have also heard the Imagineers aren't so crazy about the dinner plate hidden mickey in the ballroom scene since it was placed by CMs not the imagineers and they consider the hidden mickey something of a signature on their work of art.
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #110
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

I thought of one not mentioned!

The Cinderella fountain behind the Castle, if you look from below up at the Cinderella statue towards the mural behind her, you can "crown" her (there is a crown in the mural).
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #111
bruhl1j
Earning My Ears

Buzzlight Year Ride

When my 2 DS were young, we were on the bus to the MK. We were wondering out loud how to get enough points on the rBuzz Light Year ide to become a space ranger (or whatever the top rank is). A CM told us there is a 100,000 point target in one of the hands (can't remeber if it was right or left) of the big Zorg. However, I was the only one to hit it enough to make top rank the first time through. After that, my boys could get some high scores.

Probably want impress your father but an inside tip none the less.
bruhl1j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #112
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhl1j View Post
When my 2 DS were young, we were on the bus to the MK. We were wondering out loud how to get enough points on the rBuzz Light Year ide to become a space ranger (or whatever the top rank is). A CM told us there is a 100,000 point target in one of the hands (can't remeber if it was right or left) of the big Zorg. However, I was the only one to hit it enough to make top rank the first time through. After that, my boys could get some high scores.

Probably want impress your father but an inside tip none the less.
I won't tell him! He can be impressed by my score!
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #113
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraMeansDawn View Post
Here's a very little known fact...it USED to be Leota Toombs face in the Crystal Ball but they upgraded the animation technology a few years ago and it didn't look quite right anymore to use Leota so the face you see now is actually modeled by her daughter. They don't advertise that much because the story of Leota being a beloved Disneyland employee is so dear that it sounds better. And when you hear Leota's real voice at the end of the ride you hear why they couldn't use her voice. It's just so sweet.

I have also heard the Imagineers aren't so crazy about the dinner plate hidden mickey in the ballroom scene since it was placed by CMs not the imagineers and they consider the hidden mickey something of a signature on their work of art.
More haunted mansion material. That ride should be named a national treasure! It's depth of detail is incomparable.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #114
TARAMEOW
Mouseketeer

WDW releases 10.5 million insects each year into the resort to get rid of unwanted plant pests.

TARAMEOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #115
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Alligators in Epcot the Land

Another sad Epcot story, but my kids were a little distraught during the behind the seeds tour when the guide said the baby alligators were being raised to become handbags and shoes. I don't think the guide was kidding.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #116
DVC Mary
I must have missed the lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstylr View Post

I'm not saying I don't believe this, but I just can't imagine Disney saying no to someone willing to pay thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands (there are billionaires out there who might!) for one night in this teeny tiny suite.

This is so cool!
If that were so how come we hear about Suri Cruse staying there at least twice a yr??

Does anyone even win it anymore? I never hear about that anymore.

THANKS for all the great stories. I'm patiently waiting for both DSs to be 16 to do the KTTK tour. 3 more years & yes I've been tempted to do it w/o them.
WL'99, OKW '00, BWV/AKL '01, AKL '02, BCV '03, VWL '04 & DCL '04, SSR/AKL CL '05, VWL & DCL '06, BWV '07, Queen Nana's 1st trip 80th B-Day GF CL/BWV '08, BWV/ VWL '08 , BCV DCL AKLV '09, BCV '09, Poly CL / AKV 2010, Alaska DCL 2011, AKV CL, BCV, Canada Magic & Fantasy DCL '12,VWL'13,BWV/AKL CL X-mas'13,Univ/VWL Summer '14, DCL AK ?? '15
DVC Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #117
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Thought of another one.

In Future World East, the pavilions, sidewalks, and trees all emphasize an angular, artificial appearance. All pavilions are based on man-made concepts.

In Future World West, the pavilions, sidewalks, and trees all emphasize a free-flowing, natural appearance. All pavilions are based on the natural world. (Though I can't quite fit the Imagination Pavilion into this design personally.)
Just heard this one on WDW Today. Oh, and you could consider Imagination human nature, as imagination is much more intuitive than space travel, energy creation, and cars.

And here's another one to add, though this one might have been said. Because most humans have a natural instinct to look or lean towards the right, Disney built all of the locations that would better appeal to entering the park on MSUSA on the right as you enter the park. In the morning, grab a bagel and a cup of (soon to be Starbucks) coffee at MSB. During any time, get the energy to tour the park by grabbing some candy to munch on at the Confectionary or have lunch at Tony's.

Conversely, as you exit the park (so on the right as you are leaving), you'll find locations catering to folks who want to "remember" your day. Obviously, the Emporium provides souvenirs but the photo center lets you take home photos, too.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #118
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstylr View Post
I'm not saying I don't believe this, but I just can't imagine Disney saying no to someone willing to pay thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands (there are billionaires out there who might!) for one night in this teeny tiny suite.

This is so cool!
Mariah Carey was turned down. I don't know how much she offered to pay, but she was told no. She was there visiting at the same time a friend of mine won a night there during the Million Dreams promotion. The CM's that gave them their Castle key told them Mariah asked to stay there that night and how lucky they were that they were chosen when Mariah was turned down. The CM said not even celebrities could buy their way into the castle. It was reserved for the magic of being won.

Since they are no longer doing the Year of a Million Dreams promotion and no longer giving out Castle stays, it would be reasonable to assume Disney would rent it out to a celebrity or millionaire for the right amount of money. It makes sense to make money off of it rather than it sitting empty. But I'm sure Disney won't confirm that because it would take away from the magic of the public thinking it can only be won.

Last edited by CraftyMommy; 04-03-2013 at 07:52 PM.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #119
DVC Mary
I must have missed the lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARAMEOW View Post
WDW releases 10.5 million insects each year into the resort to get rid of unwanted plant pests.
What kind of bugs??

Eek!
WL'99, OKW '00, BWV/AKL '01, AKL '02, BCV '03, VWL '04 & DCL '04, SSR/AKL CL '05, VWL & DCL '06, BWV '07, Queen Nana's 1st trip 80th B-Day GF CL/BWV '08, BWV/ VWL '08 , BCV DCL AKLV '09, BCV '09, Poly CL / AKV 2010, Alaska DCL 2011, AKV CL, BCV, Canada Magic & Fantasy DCL '12,VWL'13,BWV/AKL CL X-mas'13,Univ/VWL Summer '14, DCL AK ?? '15
DVC Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #120
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mary View Post
What kind of bugs??

Eek!

According to Hidden Magic, feral cats roam the parks to keep the rodent population down. That is funny in the house of the mouse.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: