Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #526
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

I may have posted this previously, but in 35 pages, I can't remember. The waterways in the MK are all connected. The water is actually enhanced with coloring. They add the coloring at the falls in the Jungle Cruise so it will mix in when going over the edge.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #527
crazymomof4
DIS Veteran

I have a tidbit, not a "WDW secret" per se, but a backstory that definitely speaks to the diligence of Disney Imagineers when it comes to detail and authenticity. I think those following this thread will appreciate it.

My uncle has been an Imagineer since a few years after Disneyland opened. He eventually worked on the creation of every Disney park in the world, relocating for months to do so. He is what they call a "scenic artist". When he was working on the Jungle Cruise in Hong Kong his boss flew him to Cambodia so he could literally stand at the site of the Temple there and, using his color wheel find the EXACT MATCH for paint colors to create the Cambodian Temple scene in the Jungle Cruise. While in Cambodia he also made a small scale model of the temple ruins to take back to Hong Kong with him. My uncle said that during the decades he's worked for Disney, autheniticity and exact detail has become things ever increasingly stressed in his department. I was rather impressed by that.

9 nights. First time in a Deluxe for us!
crazymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #528
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymomof4 View Post
I have a tidbit, not a "WDW secret" per se, but a backstory that definitely speaks to the diligence of Disney Imagineers when it comes to detail and authenticity. I think those following this thread will appreciate it.

My uncle has been an Imagineer since a few years after Disneyland opened. He eventually worked on the creation of every Disney park in the world, relocating for months to do so. He is what they call a "scenic artist". When he was working on the Jungle Cruise in Hong Kong his boss flew him to Cambodia so he could literally stand at the site of the Temple there and, using his color wheel find the EXACT MATCH for paint colors to create the Cambodian Temple scene in the Jungle Cruise. While in Cambodia he also made a small scale model of the temple ruins to take back to Hong Kong with him. My uncle said that during the decades he's worked for Disney, autheniticity and exact detail has become things ever increasingly stressed in his department. I was rather impressed by that.
That is cool. Maybe the title of this thread should be Disney Backstory. .
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #529
MrsSilvaStrat
DIS Veteran

For anyone else who wants my partial list, please send my your e-mail in a PM. The list is too long to PM and the system won't let me. Plus my file has a pretty mickey background

Thanks!!
MrsSilvaStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #530
njforumrider18
Is This Haunted Room Actually Stretching?

Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but there is a hidden Oswald The Lucky Rabbit near the sign for ETWB. Also if you look at an overhead map of Expedition Everest, the layout of the ride is a hidden Mickey and hidden Oswald combined!

Me DGF
njforumrider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #531
MidnightParade
DIS Veteran

When Haunted Mansion was first being imagined for DL it was going to be a walk through. People would be led from room to room. The story was going to focus around the sea captain and his bride.
MidnightParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #532
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightParade View Post
When Haunted Mansion was first being imagined for DL it was going to be a walk through. People would be led from room to room. The story was going to focus around the sea captain and his bride.
This sounds a little like The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow.

Thankfully, they changed their mind and went ahead and created the greatest ride in the parks.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 02-23-2014 at 08:11 AM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #533
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightParade View Post
In keeping with the Haunted Mansion at DL... There's a bullet hole in the glass overlooking the dining room where some kid hit it with a slingshot years ago. The glass on the balcony is one long piece and, like the yeti, it can not be removed without dismantling a major part of the ride. They've taken to placing a 'spider' over the hole.
(If I remember correctly, it's in the left most glass section towards the top)
Old 02-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #534
GotLabradors
Missing Mr. Toad

Mods, can this thread be made into a sticky? My DH, who has never, ever been to Disney, thought a lot of these were really interesting. I'm hoping it makes him start thinking more about the fun we'll have rather than the money we're spending.

1980 Contemporary 1984 Tree Houses 1986 FortWilderness 1998 Boardwalk Inn 1999 Grand Floridian (Oct.) 1999 Polynesian (Dec.)
GotLabradors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #535
shannon006
DIS Veteran

I love reading these There is so much more to the Disney Parks than most people know. DH who use to go and enjoy the parks, now is really enjoying all the details and stories that go into our happy place and he wants to go more often and truly is immersed into the magic
Old 03-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #536
racefans44
Mouseketeer

Splash Mountain was originally named "Zip-a-dee River Run" during it's concept stage. The name was changed to "Splash" to promote the DVD release of the movie Splash. "Mountain" was added to keep the continuity of Space Mountain, Matterhorn Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
I credit this information to Marty Sklar in his book Dream It! Do It!. I highly recommend this book, it's fascinating. I also liked The Vault of Walt, Volume 1 & 2 books by Jim Korkis. They are absolutely full of fascinating Disney information.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #537
crazymomof4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefans44 View Post
I credit this information to Marty Sklar in his book Dream It! Do It!. I highly recommend this book, it's fascinating. I also liked The Vault of Walt, Volume 1 & 2 books by Jim Korkis. They are absolutely full of fascinating Disney information.
Thanks! As per your recommendation, I just reserved the Sklar book from our local library! It should be a fun read as we anticipate our Sept trip!

9 nights. First time in a Deluxe for us!
crazymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:32 AM   #538
PetersonFamily
We love Disney!

I was actually ashamed of not knowing this until last week since I'm a HUGE Beatles fan and a huge Disney fan. I read that John Lennon officially dissolved the Beatles in one of the rooms at the Polynesian Resort. He was on a Christmas holiday with his son, Julian, and girlfriend May Pang. He decided to skip the formal meeting with Paul and George in New York, so they sent him the paperwork while he was vacationing. While in a guestroom, he signed the documents officially ending the greatest band of all time! It was 12/29/1974. Who knew? I just wish I knew which room they were staying in. We'll be there in 3 months!

July 1992 - CBR
July 1995 - CBR
Nov 2002 -Honeymoon at Poly
Nov/Dec 2010 - CSR
June 2014 - Poly

Our Nov/Dec 2010 PTR!!
So Much Time & So Little To Do. Wait. Strike That. Reverse It.
PetersonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #539
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

Bump!

Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #540
kirstenh
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadRinger View Post
I have spent the better part of this day getting nothing done except for reading this thread. Thought that it was worthy of a bump. So much great info.
Same here. This is awesome. Just ordered two of the books recommended on here, will be fun flight entertainment!
kirstenh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: