DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
SumWhrOvrThRanBo
Mouseketeer

Is there a way to verify my reservation?

I recently rented DVC points from a private party that I came across online. This is our family's very first vacation & I'm wanting it to be perfect. I fear that we will arrive at AKV on check-in day any they will look at us like we have 12 heads and not have our reservation. I talked with this woman many times via email and I *want* to trust her 110% but gosh I sent her sooo much money via PayPal-- she sent me a reservation number-- is there a way for me to check that this reservation has been made and that it's in my name. I'm just so afraid of falling into some sort of scam.

Keith (daddy) Jayna (mama) Alyssa (17)
Ryan (15) Jacob (9) Nolan (7) Macy (06/15/12)
SumWhrOvrThRanBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Djsgoofy
Earning My Ears

You can go on your account on the WDW website and enter the reservation number. The reservation should come up with the details.
Djsgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
amypetecar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumWhrOvrThRanBo View Post
I recently rented DVC points from a private party that I came across online. This is our family's very first vacation & I'm wanting it to be perfect. I fear that we will arrive at AKV on check-in day any they will look at us like we have 12 heads and not have our reservation. I talked with this woman many times via email and I *want* to trust her 110% but gosh I sent her sooo much money via PayPal-- she sent me a reservation number-- is there a way for me to check that this reservation has been made and that it's in my name. I'm just so afraid of falling into some sort of scam.
I ran into the same issue last year. My reservation turned out great, but i am a naturally paranoid person. There are a few ways to ensure that there is some sort of reservation there when you rent points.

I'll start with what won't work. Member services will not discuss the reservation with you due to needing to access the members personal information to pull up the reservation. Knowing that, try this...

1. The person you rented from should forward you the confirmation email from disney with the reservation number
2. Assuming they do that, the owners contact information will be somewhere on that reservation. I would jot it down. That way if this person does end up being a scammer, you'll be more likely to be able to pursue them through legal channels
3. I have had luck calling wdw dining. When i made dinner reservations, i wanted to tie my dining to my hotel reservation. They wont disclose all of the details necessarily,, but after i gave them my reservation #, i had the operator respond to my question, "is there a 1 night reservation at the boardwalk on XX date with my name on it?" And the operator confirmed it was there. Its just a way to make sure the owner didnt cancel the reservation and pocket your money
4. Finally, 10 days out, you can check in online. That would confirm youre all set, but give you a few days to react in case something happened.

I hope this helps.
amypetecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
SumWhrOvrThRanBo
Mouseketeer

It wants the reservation number and phone number- I don't have her phone number.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
ThumpersWorld
Mouseketeer

We have rented to people multiple times and each time when we make the reservation we forward the renter the actual email from Disney that comes after we make the reservation. It has the reservation number but also a link to the reservation. You should go back to her and ask for that email. Then you can click on that link and it will take you to the reservation.

Me DH DS 8 1/2 yrs DS 6 yrs
ThumpersWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It wants the reservation number and phone number- I don't have her phone number.
Well that would be the first place to start, why do you not have a phone number? I would never rent without a phone contact number.

You can try www.mydisneyreservation.com
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
mec1020
Earning My Ears

I agree with having the confirmation email info forwarded to you.. Then you can double check with a CM

Last edited by mec1020; 03-30-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: add more info
mec1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mec1020 View Post
Can't you call Disney Reservations to verify?
No, the person that made the reservation owns it until the guest/renter checks in.

DVC is booked through DVC Member Services and they will only talk to the member, not the renter. Even if you have the confirmation emailed to you.

Even if you confirm there is a reservation made, it still could be cancelled before you check in.

Renting is not for the non-trusting, but that is why it is such a bargain and why some feel better about using a broker to set up the rental.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
SumWhrOvrThRanBo
Mouseketeer

I found her phone number in a past email-- although it doesn't match up with the confirmation # on the WDW website.

Is a conformation # the same as a travel plan #??

Thanks

Old 03-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I found her phone number in a past email-- although it doesn't match up with the confirmation # on the WDW website.

Thanks
I never heard it referred to as a travel plan # did you book with a travel agency. They did not ask you pay a 95 check in fee did they.

Did you use Ebay?

The Confirmation # should be a 12 digit number.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
SumWhrOvrThRanBo
Mouseketeer

This is a 12 digit number although it is being referred to by the claimed DVC member as a "travel plan #"--

They didn't ask me to pay a $95 fee

They are a private seller that I found on ***********.

They said "disney hasn't sent them a confirmation email yet, however that shouldn't be a problem."

Old 03-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is a 12 digit number although it is being referred to by the claimed DVC member as a "travel plan #"--

They didn't ask me to pay a $95 fee

They are a private seller that I found on ***********.

They said "disney hasn't sent them a confirmation email yet, however that shouldn't be a problem."
Ok, that is good, as long as you have the conf. # there not much you can do to check it other than trying the address above.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Bottom line is that renters can be scammed if they hook up with a scammer. You want to increase your odds of finding a legitimate owner who wants to rent.

Someone on a website like the DIS with many posts are invested in Disney and their DVC ownership.

Verify their references from prior renters.

Get their contact info and talk via a phone call. Get to know them before giving a stranger hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Stick with someone who has been an owner for a number of years and who has rented before. Less chance of them making a mistake.

The fact that you had a reservation in your name is meaningless if the owner cancels it the day before check in.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Try

www.MyDisneyReservation.com/DVC

When the page loads, scroll down until you see the link that asks if the reservation was made using DVC. Click it.

It asks for the confirmation number, check -in date, resort and your name. No phone number is needed.

It should bring up the details for your reservation.

This just worked for me and I know other renters have used it in the past.

P.S. Have you asked your questions on the discussion forums associated with the board on which you arranged for the rental? If not, I am wondering why. That board would be the best place to find out more about the person you rented from if you are concerned.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Thanks
Try your phone number and the travel plan number. If the reservation is In your name, I would assume that the owner included all of your info on it, not theirs.

Typically, an email confirmation comes the same day so I'd keep up with the owner to get it sent to you.

Good luck!!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: