Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Alaska book recommendations

Do you have any books you would recommend on Alaska to get ready fir our cruise ? I am not looking for a travel book, but more on history and culture. I am particularly interested in books to read with the girls. They are 7 and 3, but will be 8 & 4 when we sail.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
amyg1
Mouseketeer

I don't have a specific book, but look for something on the Klondike Gold Rush. That will be helpful in Skagway. And when you are in Skagway, check out the Jr Ranger program - there is a building in Skagway that is set up just for the Jr Ranger. That is in addition to the one in the Oceaneers Lab - they run one on the Tongass National Forest.
amyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
COASTIEandMATE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
Do you have any books you would recommend on Alaska to get ready fir our cruise ? I am not looking for a travel book, but more on history and culture. I am particularly interested in books to read with the girls. They are 7 and 3, but will be 8 & 4 when we sail.
Hi! A great book to read together and take along is "The Kids Guide to Cruising Alaska" kids guides series, by Eileen Ogintz and Reggie Yemma. It has lots of questions, answers, places to paste or draw pictures, games and history and also general info on being on a ship and how to get the most out of your time in Alaska. Another great book for kids is "Clueless in Alaska" a book with many clues answers and info about Alaska, the people, the wildlife, the glaciers and all in a way that intrigues kids!These are available on Amazon and as used books not very expensive. Aloha, Karen
Old 03-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

I bought this book in 2011 for last summer. Then, it had a different cover which caught my eye. I bought it because it got such great reviews.
Must have been pure luck because it turned out to be the book that they refer to on the ship often. Our CD, Christiaan, read passages from this book everyday over the shipwide PA system (not in cabins) before docking at each port. You could also tune in the tv to a certain channel to hear it.
It has a large tear-out map that I didn't appreciate until I saw it enclosed between layers of glass & on display in the lobby of the WD Theater. They sold it in the shops too.
I recommend it.

eta: This is what the cover looked like on the 2011 edition.

ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
I bought this book in 2011 for last summer. Then, it had a different cover which caught my eye. I bought it because it got such great reviews.
Must have been pure luck because it turned out to be the book that they refer to on the ship often. Our CD, Christiaan, read passages from this book everyday over the shipwide PA system (not in cabins) before docking at each port. You could also tune in the tv to a certain channel to hear it.
It has a large tear-out map that I didn't appreciate until I saw it enclosed between layers of glass & on display in the lobby of the WD Theater. They sold it in the shops too.
I recommend it.

Thanks!! I just bought copies of it.
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I recommend it.

I have quite a few Alaska travel guides, but this is one book (and map) that I always bring with me on Alaska cruises. Highly recommended.

I also like Alaska By Cruise Ship: http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-...405366-2763656
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
I recommend it.

Yep, not sailing until next year, but I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon. Thanks for the excellent tip.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
I recommend it.

I have actually been debating about getting this book. Your recommendation helped me decide. I just ordered my copy as well.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: