Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #91
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

http://becco-nyc.com/about-us/

is a another good choice.

They have a good a la carte menu. They also offer their special; choice of Caesars salad or antipasti followed by three different pasta dishes unlimited table side service.

Carmines features large portions, served family style. It doesn't work if your family can't agree on what to eat.

Neither Grand Central Station nor the Oyster Bar would make my list of things to do. Does anyone in your family have a "hobby" of visiting famous train stations?
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #92
Soupermom
DIS Veteran

My son has always loved trains and I really was just going to have a look. I heard there were many restaurants there, which is why I thought we could eat there. Any other meal suggestions for that day? We like ethnic restuarants, not salty, no need to worry about alcohol.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #93
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupermom View Post
My son has always loved trains and I really was just going to have a look. I heard there were many restaurants there, which is why I thought we could eat there. Any other meal suggestions for that day? We like ethnic restuarants, not salty, no need to worry about alcohol.
there is a guided tour of Grand Central that is amazing.
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #94
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Monday, June 17th
9/11 Museum, St. Paul’s Chapel (Stage Door Deli), Wall Street, Trinity Church, Jimmy Fallon?? (3:30), FREE evening?
Just a note, the 911 Museum has not yet opened. You can visit the Memorial.

I have been to NYC many times, and frankly, your itinerary does not appeal to me. Too many visits to uninteresting places (my opinion). I second the poster who recommended the Tenement Museum; this is really interesting and you can chose a number of different tours. And no Broadway show? Do you have a guidebook; it might be helpful to you.

Last edited by lost*in*cyberspace; 04-17-2013 at 12:47 PM.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #95
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat View Post
SO many of the places you are going to eat at are tourist traps....the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Term is nice...make sure to have a drink at the apartment there too

ita. try to see , eat, visit some small independently owned restaurants. If you want to see the tourst traps, have a drink maybe,,,

food isn't usually better at a chain restaurant, ime.

Have a great trip. pm me if / need any questions. Lived in manhattan FOR manyyyyy years.
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #96
Jridou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If you like Ethnic restaurants then you should go to Korea town before the Empire State Building.
Jridou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #97
Soupermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
Just a note, the 911 Museum has not yet opened. You can visit the Memorial.

I have been to NYC many times, and frankly, your itinerary does not appeal to me. Too many visits to uninteresting places (my opinion). I second the poster who recommended the Tenement Museum; this is really interesting and you can chose a number of different tours. And no Broadway show? Do you have a guidebook; it might be helpful to you.
We are going to the Lion King, it's listed on the itinerary. The museums are kind of an optional fill-in as needed. We have been to many museums in DC and Chicago, so I just listed them as an option. I do have a Frommers Guidebook that has been very helpful, along with the DIS and TripAdvisors. What other suggestions to you have for things to do/see? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #98
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Aside from the Stage deli I'd eat at all your choices (I'd go to Katz's or the Second Avenue Deli instead).

I always see tourists in Grand Central. If you know what you are looking at, it's actually pretty interesting. I'm guessing your guidebook has a self guided tour with the highlights. There's a bunch of places to eat downstairs if you are looking for someplace inexpensive, there is Hale and Hearty Soup, Juniors, etc..

If you like Ethnic restaurants there are lots of great Indian, Ethiopean, Turkish, etc. places to choose from. Like the pp said Koreatown is good and around the corner from the Empire State Building. It's fun to cook the food on the table.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #99
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are going to the Lion King, it's listed on the itinerary. The museums are kind of an optional fill-in as needed. We have been to many museums in DC and Chicago, so I just listed them as an option. I do have a Frommers Guidebook that has been very helpful, along with the DIS and TripAdvisors. What other suggestions to you have for things to do/see? Thanks!
i dont see the village anywhere on your list. i love it there. there are tons of great places to eat (non chain restaurants) and lots of small shops. if you got here i recommend for a snack : http://www.yelp.com/biz/caf%C3%A9-an...ot%20chocolate

i have yet to make it here but people i know with children frequently rave about this place as being fun and good food for all ages: http://www.smacnyc.com/

im glad you are going into brooklyn. i am almost embarrassed to admit that until the last year i had only been to the other boroughs by car just for things like the bronx zoo. i went to willamsburg two weeks ago and had some great turkish food and took a nice long walk.

oh and another thing is there are some really awesome food trucks these days. i work in midtown and you always find them out for lunch rush. so if you plan on being in that are you may want to have a restaurant as a just in case but search for some trucks. for ex in my area i see a fancy waffle truck, korean bbq truck, lebanese food truck, and sometimes there is a fancy burger truck (they feature different meats every day).
Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #100
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

you should check out Johns on 12th St and The Redhead on East 13th
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #101
Kaizen
Forever Disney

Does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay that are 2-3 BR condos in the city? We are meeting our new Disney cruise friends from Canada in NYC and all want to stay together. It's a little intimidating looking for a place without knowing the area. Want to be safe and clean above all else. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to go over July 4th.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #102
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

Fyi= stage deli is (or was) 2 blocks from my office and appears to have closed permanently a few weeks ago, which also means carnegie (down the block) often has a line out the door. Regarding 2-3 br condos, my goodness, could be a very pricy endeavor, but maybe on craigslist, but that can be sort of the "wild west".
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #103
gk90
Mom to Sorcerer Mickey fan and Donald's #1 fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay that are 2-3 BR condos in the city? We are meeting our new Disney cruise friends from Canada in NYC and all want to stay together. It's a little intimidating looking for a place without knowing the area. Want to be safe and clean above all else. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to go over July 4th.
You could look at airbnb.com, we've had good luck there for other cities. It looks like they have lots of inventory, but what are you looking for apart from 2-3 br? They have good descriptions of different NYC neighborhoods on their site. If you want a central location then you're looking at high prices. But if you're willing to travel a bit, like Park Slope in Brooklyn which is clean & safe but means a longer subway ride, you can find 2 brs for a more reasonable price.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #104
Kaizen
Forever Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
You could look at airbnb.com, we've had good luck there for other cities. It looks like they have lots of inventory, but what are you looking for apart from 2-3 br? They have good descriptions of different NYC neighborhoods on their site. If you want a central location then you're looking at high prices. But if you're willing to travel a bit, like Park Slope in Brooklyn which is clean & safe but means a longer subway ride, you can find 2 brs for a more reasonable price.
Forgot about airbnb! Thanks for the tip on Park Slope. I will check that out. We wouldn't mind a little bit of a commute.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #105
djbleach
Mouseketeer

Just thought I'd chime in like others. I live in VA and have only been to NY about 10 times in the last 5 years. I've done a few things suggested and agree with what most people have "said".
My DD(9) and myself (43) are heading up to NY this Monday June 3.
We do it a little different. We use Priceline and stay in NJ. Usually Secaucus-North Bergen section. It has bus service (320) right outside the hotel's If we get the Holiday Inn, Hyatt or Courtyard. We have gotten the Sheraton that used the water taxi.
I checked this morning and wasn't able to get a room and didn't use express deal. I'm not picky on the room as long as it's 2.5 stars or up. We usually get the room for $80 a night with free parking. (The Sheraton in Weehoben charged $20 a day.) Not sure what you are paying, but you might look into the Sheraton . The rooms in NY are small compared to what you'll get in NY (what I've read)

Top of the Rock is so much better, shorter lines, less expensive, cool elevator ride up, amazing view.
We have done Empire and lucked up on short lines but I've never been back. I've went back with friends and did TOtR.
Dylans didn't really wow me. This trip we will do what was suggested like you and hit economy candy.
We'll do a Yankees game. (day of the game at Model's 42st you can get half price tickets. I'm no big fan, but It's a fun time and beautiful stadium.
We've seen Mary Poppins and Wicked. Both were great. Bronx zoo was ok, but it's just a zoo.
Whenever we've seen the Statue of Liberty, we've just caught the free Stanton ferry, but it sounds like it might be harder to go.
Chinatown, we get foot massage, she gets her nails done, there is a ice cream place in chinatown that's "famous" and then the bakery in Little Italy that is mentioned.
Try "lobster tails" at the bakery. (Or if you go to Carlo's bakery in Hoboken on your way home. you can pre order and pick up behind the store. you don't have to wait in line. just call in your order)
Coney Island was a dump, but we enjoyed our Nathan's hot dog!! And we rode the big ferris wheel thing.
We do the American girl store, central park, toys r us (cool store with a ferris wheel inside) MTV sometimes has a crowd downstairs when somebody is in the studio.
I've had friends get tickets for david letterman the day of the show, 2 went 2 of us hopped the subway and went to the Village.
There's the famous pizza place near 42 street (john's or something. i think it was a church?)
It's NY, hustle bustle noise, excitement, people yelling, horns blowing, rude cops, beautiful people, street vendors,
Just have fun and plan on coming back.
djbleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: