Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #31
rachelmarisa
chase the morning, yield for nothing

I'm sure you have enough information by now, but we love the Avista resort. It's beachfront and Google says $123/night. From their website:
"Water features include: 2 pools, 1 lazy river, kiddy pool and 2 hot tubs. Outdoor pools are not heated.
Indoor water features include: 1 pool, 1 lazy river and 1 hot tub. All indoor water amenities are climate-controlled.
Fully appointed kitchens with refrigerator, microwave, oven and appliances"
Along with a ton more. The area has touristy shopping - I love it - and minigolf on every corner. Hope this helps!

http://www.avistaresort.com/default-en.html
+ 2010 WDW for Christmas
+ 2011 16th birthday present: first trip to DL
+ 2013 WDW Spring Break with my best friend
+ 2014 One day at WDW

rachelmarisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
shortbun
Peacenik

Check out Kitty Hawk and Nags Head. Not as touristy as Myrtle Beach but still developed. Wright Bros memorial in Kitty Hawk. Cape Hatteras National Seashore one hour south. Manteo-20 minutes west on The Lost Island of Roanoke. Manteo has an aquarium and historical stuff based on the lost island. I don't know of any waterpark like hotel pools-it's on the Atlantic-a real waterpark, lol! NC might be a tad closer than SC depending on the route in; I haven't looked at a map. Condo and home rental are more the norm for the Outerbanks. We prefer Hatteras Island which is south of Kitty Hawk and Nags Head but there's not much to do on Hatteras as it's mostly federal land dedicate to the National Seashore. I can give you realtors if you want.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #33
susanktz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeygirl14 View Post
Being from the Charleston area and having just been to Myrtle recently, I can tell you that unless you're just really set on Myrtle, there are SOOO many nicer beaches to visit that you'd probably get better deals at...Hilton Head, Charleston, Isle of Palms, Atlantic Beach, Outer Banks. There is a lot to do at Myrtle, but it's very commercialized. If it's Myrtle you want though, North Myrtle is a great and will probably have some better deals.
I have to agree and disagree with you.

Yes, IMO, Hilton Head, Charleston, Isle of Palm and Outer Banks are much nicer. But I think the "cost of living" is more expensive in those locations. I think sales taxes are higher, food prices are higher. But I cannot attest to lodging prices.
susanktz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #34
minnie1012
DIS Veteran

We are going this summer and staying at the Embassy Suites at Kingston Plantation. It will be our third time staying there. Its right on the beach and its very peaceful in that section of Myrtle Beach. There is a small water park and lazy river but I think your kids may be too big for the water park. There is also a Hilton on property which last time I checked it was cheaper to stay there. The water park is closer to Embassy and you receive a free buffet breakfast and evening reception at Embassy. We stay there because we eat lunch in the room and I have to bring food because of my daughter's allergies so its nice to have the fridge, microwave etc. I got a deal buy 5 nights get one free. There isn't much to walk to except a pizza place at the front of the complex.
minnie1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #35
Jessica527
Dreaming Disney Every Minute :)

I recommend renting a house for the week near Broadway at the Beach. While you will need to drive to the local beach, it will be $700-1500 for the week for a whole house. Hopefully you find something that works best for you!

2009: All Star Sports - Dad's First Disney Trip
2007 Part 2: Off Site - HS Trip

2007 Part 1: All Star Music
2005: Off Site - HS Trip[
1998: All Star Sports
Jessica527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #36
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

I will also recommend Kingston Plantation. The Embassy Suites hotel there is right on the beach, but they also have lots of nice condos there that are just a short walk to the beach. It is a beautiful set up and this resort area is set up much like most of the resorts in Hilton Head. Lots of biking trails within the resort area, tennis courts, work out facilities, etc.

I love Charleston and would not want to live anywhere else (except maybe Disney), but Myrtle Beach is a perfectly nice vacation place. As a teenager, I much preferred going to Myrtle Beach over Charleston.

No, the water is not like the water on the Florida gulf coast, but it is still nice and there are tons of people swimming in that water, including myself on occasion.

It is touristy, but sometimes that's what you want. Broadway at the Beach has a MagiQuest, Ripley's Aquarium and Wonderworks -- all of which are lots of fun for kids and adults. They also have good shopping and decent restaurants.

If you want a quiet beach, gorgeous lowcountry scenery, history lessons and fine dining, then come to Charleston. I'll even show you around.

If you want a fun beach vacation with lots of entertainment for pre-teens and teens, waterparks, mini golf, and fried seafood as far as you can see, then Myrtle Beach is a great choice.

We took our daughter to Dunes Village in January to check it out. It was a fine resort, but I wouldn't go there for the waterpark. I think Kingston is the better choice. I really like the condos at Kingston as long as you don't need an ocean view from your room.
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class
April 2014 Grand Floridian July 2014 Wilderness Lodge Club Level
CRUISES August 2013 Disney Dream March 2014 Disney Magic*
*April 2014 Disney Dream* UpcomingNovember 2014 Disney Fantasy

ADVENTURES BY DISNEY - MAY 2014 Viva Italia

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
Summer 2012 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxyUicMy5w
March 2011 WDW Vacation Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
graceesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #37
lisaross
DIS Veteran

Looks like a nice resort - will put it on my list

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmarisa View Post
I'm sure you have enough information by now, but we love the Avista resort. It's beachfront and Google says $123/night. From their website:
"Water features include: 2 pools, 1 lazy river, kiddy pool and 2 hot tubs. Outdoor pools are not heated.
Indoor water features include: 1 pool, 1 lazy river and 1 hot tub. All indoor water amenities are climate-controlled.
Fully appointed kitchens with refrigerator, microwave, oven and appliances"
Along with a ton more. The area has touristy shopping - I love it - and minigolf on every corner. Hope this helps!

http://www.avistaresort.com/default-en.html

2006 - First Family Trip to Disney
2009 - Disney/Universal
2015 - PLANNING (on hold)

Our cast is me : my husband and the kids :and
lisaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #38
CTdiznymom
DIS Veteran

DH and I just returned from MB. We stayed 4 nights at Oceans One. Granted it was off season and a little less expensive than what you're looking at. I can highly recommend the hotel though. We had a 2br/2bath fully equipped condo which included a washer dryer. Full ocean view. Our room was on the 11th floor. Absolutely perfect. Housekeeeping was very attentive. The parking wasn't a problem being right across the street. There was an indoor pool, lazy river, and outdoor pool. (too cold for us to use) Family Kingdom ammusement was 2 doors down. Would definately stay here again.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #39
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

I noticed you are in New York OP. We are in Mass.....three hours from NY City and drive to Hilton Head all the time. It is exactly 16 hours from our house...So if you are three hours closer, it should be about 13 hours for you. It is a straight shot down 95 to Hardeeville, Sc exit and is exactly thirty minutes from there.

You can definitely rent nkce condos for much less than $400 a night. We have rented beautiful places for about $800-$900 a week in Palmetto Dunes Plantation which is beautiful.

Lots to do, beautiful bike paths all over the island, great restaurants and shopping, etc.. It is a great place for a family.
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #40
royaltybuff
Earning My Ears

Marina Inn Grand Dunes is my recommendation. It's a beautiful hotel with activities for the kids. It is not beachfront, but there is a quick shuttle to the beach, and they have a private beach club. It's also a quick drive to Broadway at the Beach and other activities, and the pool is beautiful. The staff members were gracious, and the place was very clean. It has more of a resort feel than you will find in many other MB area hotels.

I really don't like the Long Bay, although it does have a lazy river and is spacious. We stayed there once, and it was just awful. It was dirty, and the refrigerator was broken. The staff were beyond rude. I have relatives who have stayed there multiple times because of its proximity to another family member's property and for the fact that it is beachfront, but none of them actually like the place.

If you are looking for restaurants, Aspen Grill is good. We also liked Hana (Japanese hibachi), Collectors, and the Sea Captain's House (hush puppies and she crab soup).

If you can do a side trip to Charleston, it's a nice break mid-week. Charleston is gorgeous, and there are some fantastic restaurants. The Peninsula Grill at the Planter's Inn is one of my favorites (and the Planter's Inn itself is beautiful).
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaross View Post
Good Morning!!

You guys always know the most so help me!

Thinking of planning a vacation for next summer to Myrtle Beach, SC. It will be about a 12 hour drive for us i think....

The boys will be 14 and 12 at the time. I would like to be on the beach or within walking distance. Would love to have a hotel with lazy river/waterpark if not too expensive!

Thinking maybe 4 or 5 nights.....

Any suggestions/must do's etc.

Also would like to be able to park car and walk many places - breakfast in hotel would be a plus
royaltybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #41
shells4
Mouseketeer

Sorry if I am repeating any info, did not read thru the whole thread. Personally we don't care for MB, way to busy and crowded. We rent a house on Pawleys Island about 20 miles south of MB. We stay a block or so off ocean so it is an easy walk and the houses are more reasonably priced ($1200-1500/week). It is usually cheaper for us to rent a house then a week at a resort/hotel plus we love having a kitchen, washer, and dryer. All private homes, no businesses on the beach. Much more relaxing. You are close to MB if there are things there you want to do. My kids never want to leave the island to do anything, they would rather spend the week at the beach then even Disney! Husband and son usually do a day long fishing trip out of Murrell's Inlet and my daughter and I do some sort of special activity together like dolphin watching trip, boat trip to an island with lighthouse, marsh tour, etc. There are many small towns between MB and Pawleys Island that you can rent homes and be away from the noise of MB. Surfside, Litchfield, Murrell's Inlet. Even if we had a pool, kids would not want to use it. They want to swim in the ocean, walk on the beach, and go fishing 24/7.
shells4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #42
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shells4 View Post
Even if we had a pool, kids would not want to use it. They want to swim in the ocean, walk on the beach, and go fishing 24/7.
Total opposite for us, we have to find a place with a pool because my daughter hates swimming in the ocean "ewwww there are fish in there"--- ummm yes there are- they LIVE there LOL....
Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #43
highwayg
Mouseketeer

We are heading down there in August, but we will be camping in our RV. (have a few campgrounds on the list but havent made reservations yet) Love this thread! Seems like there is a lot to do. We have been to Ocean City MD a few times and enjoyed it. Sounds similar.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #44
shells4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
Total opposite for us, we have to find a place with a pool because my daughter hates swimming in the ocean "ewwww there are fish in there"--- ummm yes there are- they LIVE there LOL....
LOL We go looking for the critters. Spend hours in the marsh areas looking for them. Although we have salt water aquariums and kids have grown up with them. They have learned nothing to be afraid of, just respectful and cautious.
shells4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #45
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure about all these places, but the ones I know are not in Myrtle Beach . . . They are in North Myrtle Beach, an adjacent town that is quite different from Myrtle itself. North Myrtle is a newer area, and the nicer hotels are located there. South Myrtle is also an okay place, though more rustic (poor word choice) but you want to stay out of Mytle Beach itself.

As for comparisons to Hilton Head, Charleston, etc, they're all different places. Choose Hilton Head, Fripp, Holden, Oak Island or Lady if you want a quiet, family beach vacation. Choose Charleston if you want history and amazing food. Kiawah or Edisto if you want nature. Choose Myrtle and its surrounding environs if you want low prices, aren't overly concerned with quality and enjoy chain restaurants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'sMom View Post
Some of the nicer hotels in Myrtle Beach are

Marina Inn Grande Dunes - not oceanfront, but they have private beach access by shuttle or you can drive and park there. It is a AAA 4 diamond property.

Marriott Grande Dunes - oceanfront with nice pool. Also a 4 diamond property.

Embassy Suites at Kingston Plantation - I think this has a small water park. We haven't stayed here, but we know people who have and they have liked it. Includes breakfast.

There is a Hilton at/near Kingston Plantation. Don't know anything about it, but I have seen it and it is oceanfront.

Kingston Plantation also has condos to rent.

Hampton Inn and Suites gets/used to get good reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed here once for a night and moved to the Marriott Grande Dunes, but we had booked a regular room and it seems that most positive reviews were for the suites.

We have stayed a few times at Dunes Village, most recently in January. I think your kids are probably too old to appreciate the water park for more than an hour or two. My kids are 13 and 10 - the 13 year old went down a couple of slides and was done. The 10 year old lasted about an hour but actually preferred the outdoor lazy river (in January ). Dunes Village is like a much, much smaller Great Wolf Lodge with slides and small pools divided between two buildings. Dunes does have a nice oceanfront location.

Some of our friends recommended the Breakers the next time we go to MB and want a hotel with a water park. We have not been there personally.

I find most of the MB hotels to be a bit rundown, but we like the Marriott and the Marina Inn a lot. It just depends what you are looking for.

Be sure to visit Wonderworks if you have not been to the Orlando one (or another one). The kids and adults in our family love it!

Last edited by MrsPete; 04-23-2013 at 03:46 PM.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: