Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
minushka72
Mouseketeer

We stay at Coral Beach Resort when we go. It is walking distance to Family Kingdom Amusement Park and their water park is right across the street from the amusement park! The resort has an 8 lane bowling alley, indoor pool and spas, outdoor pools and water park, and lazy river. Right on the beach also. About a 1 mile walk (maybe less) to the new boardwalk are with the Sky Wheel and all Ripleys Believe it or Not. It is a beautiful resort. It has a breakfast buffet restaurant which is reasonably priced. We usually get an Oceanfront Family Suite which for mid July is looking to be around $217 per night. Their website is www.gotomyrtle.com. We have also stayed at their sister property Sea Crest Resort which is nice too.
minushka72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
mickeygirl14
Mouseketeer

Being from the Charleston area and having just been to Myrtle recently, I can tell you that unless you're just really set on Myrtle, there are SOOO many nicer beaches to visit that you'd probably get better deals at...Hilton Head, Charleston, Isle of Palms, Atlantic Beach, Outer Banks. There is a lot to do at Myrtle, but it's very commercialized. If it's Myrtle you want though, North Myrtle is a great and will probably have some better deals.

'84: Offsite '94: Offsite '96: ASMu Disneymoon Aug '00: POFQ Sept '07: FW-Cabins Sept '10: POR
Feb '11: Made it to WWOHP Sept '11: CR June '12: Swan Surprise Trip Oct '12: Marriott June '13: BC Oct '13: Hilton
June '14: Hilton Oct '14: Hilton

My first WWOHP Visit Report - Did I mention there was FREE butterbeer?

A Host of HOKIES Heads Back to the World! - Sept 2011 PTR.
mickeygirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeygirl14 View Post
Being from the Charleston area and having just been to Myrtle recently, I can tell you that unless you're just really set on Myrtle, there are SOOO many nicer beaches to visit that you'd probably get better deals at...Hilton Head, Charleston, Isle of Palms, Atlantic Beach, Outer Banks. There is a lot to do at Myrtle, but it's very commercialized. If it's Myrtle you want though, North Myrtle is a great and will probably have some better deals.
I agree - I think it just depends why the OP has picked Myrtle Beach. For us, MB is a fun weekend with lots of things for the kids to do - the aquarium, Wonderworks, mini golf, etc. There are restaurants and stores that we don't have at home. The beach is fun, but it is secondary for us as we live near a beach (an hour and a half north of MB, so our beach is pretty similar to MB).

We go to Charleston for history and great restaurants, the Outer Banks for a sit on the beach type vacation, and Myrtle Beach for lots of activities for the kids. We are usually not sit on the beach people on vacation because we can go to the beach any day, so MB offers us activities that we don't have at home.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'sMom View Post
I agree - I think it just depends why the OP has picked Myrtle Beach. For us, MB is a fun weekend with lots of things for the kids to do - the aquarium, Wonderworks, mini golf, etc. There are restaurants and stores that we don't have at home. The beach is fun, but it is secondary for us as we live near a beach (an hour and a half north of MB, so our beach is pretty similar to MB).

We go to Charleston for history and great restaurants, the Outer Banks for a sit on the beach type vacation, and Myrtle Beach for lots of activities for the kids. We are usually not sit on the beach people on vacation because we can go to the beach any day, so MB offers us activities that we don't have at home.
I agree with this, but the question for the OP is, "is it worth a 12 hour drive?" IMHO, no. You can find all of the activities you mentioned much closer to NYC. I mentioned HHI, because it is also pretty commercial, but because of the ordinances there, you never get the feeling you're in a cheezy beach town. I also think HHI offers a lot more "family friendly" activities.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
lisaross
DIS Veteran

OP here....

I am thinking of MB because i hear so many great things about it. I've been to the outerbanks, NC and it was nice...a bit quiet i thought but we have family there so it was fun to see them. I didn't like the beaches though thought the water was really rough!

We love to try new places...Jersey Shore we do for the day never stayed over

thanks for all the feedback - will think about it

2006 - First Family Trip to Disney
2009 - Disney/Universal
2015 - PLANNING (on hold)

Our cast is me : my husband and the kids :and
lisaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #21
brittsmum1998
just a shallow excuse to subscribe to this thread
"stay away from skunks....they stink"

The water in Myrtle will be much warmer than water in the Northeast no matter what time of year.

brittsmum1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #22
connie1042
DIS Veteran

We are going to MB from June 1-8. staying at the Carolina Grand. Two Bedroom. We got it through someone that owns a timeshare there. Has anyone stayed there? It will be 2 couples. No kids. Will have a car. guys plan on doing a lot of golfing. I just want the beach. If you are familiar with this area, please let me know what to expect. Thanks
connie1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
cndij
Mouseketeer

OK, kind of local here. Question to OP? Have you ever been to the beach in SC? If not, just want to make sure you know that the NC/SC Beaches do not have anything near clear water. I know some people love Myrtle Beach, including most of the town where I live (3 hours away), but if you are planning to swim in the ocean, just want to make sure you know that usually by the time you are in knee deep, you can no longer see your feet. This is a big issue for me after getting badly sting by a huge jellyfish some years ago. So now we stick to the gulf coast or South Florida for our beach trips. Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and I know just "being" at the beach is great, but want to make sure water quality is at least addressed.
cndij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #24
rogers803
Mouseketeer

Talking

We go to MB about twice a year.We love it. Its touristy but easy to get around. tons of food places and stuff to do.. We like the Breakers Resort if we want to be close to everything.ie: Boardwalk, stores and rides. And the Sea Watch for the north end of beach. We stayed at Montery Bay recently. They had cheaper rooms plus a free hot breakfast. My brother stayed at the Compass last summer because it had the best looking pools for his kids ages 14 and 8. they enjoyed it. We will be staying at the Carolinian this summer. hope this helps.btw we have been to other beaches but for us MB works best. I like Charleston and Hilton Head but MB is a favorite.
05/00 - Poly - Concierge
12/00 - Dixie Landings Christmas
08/01 - Yacht Club
05/02 - Port Orleans - Bayou
12/02 - Wilderness Lodge Christmas
06/03 - Caribbean Beach
12/03 - Poly - Concierge Christmas
06/04 - Port Orleans - French Quarter
11/04 - Port Orleans - Riverside
06/05 - Port Orleans-French Quarter
06/07 - All Stars Music
06/08 - Beach Club Villas
06/10 - WDW Swan

rogers803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #25
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

We stayed twice at Ocean Reef Resort- LOVED it--- it was great in the mornings just sitting on the balcony looking at the ocean. You went downstairs there was the lazy river and pools and a few steps away was the beach!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #26
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

I live in South Carolina too and if you are set on MB- I would recommend the Kingston Plantation, any of the Holiday Inns and SeaCrest isn't that bad.. There are lots of touristy places to go too. I just think in my personal opinion, alot of the hotels are rundown. The seniors around the state go party during their senior week and IMO have trashed the rooms through the years. we might go for a quick weekend this summer but it's not first vacation spot on my list. You'll spend 1,000 before you know it.

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
June 2014 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3293489
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #27
goodfood4ursoul
DIS Veteran

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaross View Post
Good Morning!!

You guys always know the most so help me!

Thinking of planning a vacation for next summer to Myrtle Beach, SC. It will be about a 12 hour drive for us i think....

The boys will be 14 and 12 at the time. I would like to be on the beach or within walking distance. Would love to have a hotel with lazy river/waterpark if not too expensive!

Thinking maybe 4 or 5 nights.....

Any suggestions/must do's etc.

Also would like to be able to park car and walk many places - breakfast in hotel would be a plus

Have you considered staying just south of MB?
I mean there are more alternatives than MB, NMB or HHI...

We very much enjoyed our stay at Litchfield Beach and Golf resort, a little ways south of MB and a little quieter.

Litchfield Beach and Golf has a lazy river water play area (multiples for different buildings, like at WDW- you use the one designated for your building)
They have a free golf cart taxi that runs between the beach and the different parts of the resort continuously.

They are only 10 - 15 minutes from the activities of MB, and close to the Marshwalk at Murrells Inlet (with lots of great restaurants right on the waterfront)

And right now for July it's $204 a night for a 2 bedroom condo at Seaside, which means having a full modern updated kitchen, LR with flat screen, back screen porch, hot tub and shower in Mbath, etc.

http://search.guestdesk.com/reservat...onal-services/

Seaside is not ocean front, but it's not far and most of those ocean front condos have already been booked up for the summer.

The resort is lovely, with indoor pool, nice workout facility room, in addition to the outdoor pools, lazy river water play area, hot tubs and ocean.

They also have a restaurant and a starbucks on site if you are into your coffee.

The resort is close to state parks, public gardens, the Hammock Shops, and Pawley's Island is not far away either.

And you are still close enough to all the entertainment and activity of MB, just not in the middle of it all.

Hope this helps

yep
goodfood4ursoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #28
Julie*
Mouseketeer

We went to North Myrtle Beach last April for spring break and stayed here:
http://www.wyndhamoceanboulevard.com/

We loved it- had a 3 bedroom with a view of the ocean and it was so convenient to be right on the water but have all of the pools/jacuzzis for all of us. It was kind of a funny time of year to be there because it was the Shag convention week:

"The City of North Myrtle Beach is the birthplace of the Shag, the official South Carolina State Dance. The Ocean Drive section of North Myrtle Beach (referred to as “OD” by locals) is the host of two, week long "migrations" of shaggers in April and September of every year. Sponsored by the Society of Stranders (SOS), the events bring thousands of devotees of this unique dance to North Myrtle Beach’s Main Street to shag, party and visit with old friends. The Shag dance was born right here is North Myrtle Beach and is a cross between the jitterbug and swing dancing, combining fancy footwork and smooth moves."

We just went with it though and had tons of fun!

We would go back again in a heartbeat.
DS- age 10

Been to Disney too many times to count and worked there for a year in the early 90's.
WDW 1/2 Marathon: January 2009-2011
Julie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #29
garnetandblack
Earning My Ears

I live in SC and my Dad grew up about 45 minutes from MB - a lot of family still lives there and own a townhouse a block from the beach (for vacation purposes). My husband has a lot of family that lives in MB as well. We are there all the time.

We stay in a lot of hotels but rarely go to the beach. The beach is pretty disgusting and very polluted. MB actually has runoff drains that flow into the ocean. I've read that it's pretty unsafe to swim in the water.

Our first family vacation after DS3 was born was to the Prince Resort in NMB (no runoff drains but still not a great beach). That was 9/2010. We rented through Elliott Realty (I do not recommend them). The condo was disgusting when we checked in and I spent 5 hours cleaning it. We paid around $600 with taxes and fees but it was the week after Labor Day so it was considered off season. The great rate on a 2 bed/2 bath is why we decided to stay there.

We always stay in hotels because I have a lot of allergies and can't handle our families pets or laundry detergent. We like The Sheraton hotel and convention center, but it's not within walking distance to the beach. It's clean and I can usually snag a good deal on Priceline.

For clean hotels that are in the SMB area where the Pavilion used to be and where they built the new boardwalk I suggest the Best Western Grand Carolinian or Bayview Resort. We have stayed at both (during the off season). The BWGC only has a small pool but they have good rates and very clean rooms. The Bayview's pool and lazy river are indoors but during the warm months they doors are open onto the beach. We only paid $33 a night this past November for a 1 bed/1 bath at Bayview this past November and we had a blast with our 3yo in the pools. But these hotels are located in the highly polluted area of MB and my family won't get in the water.

We love Hilton Head and we will always choose it over MB if we can. You can find 1 bed/1 bath condos a block or two from the beach for $600 a week on VRBO during high season. The beaches are beautiful, wide, clean and it's so peaceful. The 1 bed/1 bath condos have wide hallways with a built in bunk bed in the hallway for 2 kids. We just always get stuck going to MB because of family being there!!!!

There isn't as much to do in HH though and it really depends on what type of vacation your family prefers. If you need all of the extra activities to keep your children entertained then MB might work well for you.
garnetandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #30
Bnb0627
Mouseketeer

[

Last year we stayed at Sands Ocean Club. It is not as updated as some other resorts but they had a lazy river and deck bar with a live band. there are other Sands hotels that have the waterpark and lazy river. Here is all the free stuff that we missed because we went in early May and this starts Memorial Day weekend:

Staying with the Sands Ocean Club gets you more than just great savings, its also about great value. If you stay at any of our resorts were also going to give you FREE admission to Wild Water & Wheels, one of Americas Top Ten Waterparks. Youll get a FREE trip on the Getaway Adventure Sightseeing Cruise, FREE golf at Diamondback Golf Course, FREE admission to Ocean Drive Pavilion Amusement Park and FREE admission to the Sands Resorts Waterpark. Dine at Mangos and get 50% off your entrees, enjoy summer magic shows, childcare through our Sands Kids Club and FREE fireworks displays at the World Famous Ocean Annies Beach Bar!
Bnb0627 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: