Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
lisaross
DIS Veteran

MYRTLE BEACH, SC Vacation Help

Good Morning!!

You guys always know the most so help me!

Thinking of planning a vacation for next summer to Myrtle Beach, SC. It will be about a 12 hour drive for us i think....

The boys will be 14 and 12 at the time. I would like to be on the beach or within walking distance. Would love to have a hotel with lazy river/waterpark if not too expensive!

Thinking maybe 4 or 5 nights.....

Any suggestions/must do's etc.

Also would like to be able to park car and walk many places - breakfast in hotel would be a plus

2006 - First Family Trip to Disney
2009 - Disney/Universal
2015 - PLANNING

Our cast is me : my husband and the kids :and
lisaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
bigmamimia
Mouseketeer

I don't know about hotels because we visit my sister when we head down to SC. We go to the Charleston area. I could tell you some nice places to go in that area.
bigmamimia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
trewin
Mouseketeer

I am following this thread! I am looking for a nicer place to stay. Our condo we stay in has been the same since I was 12! our family is finally too big to stay there! I'd love to find somewhere affordable w/ a lazy river and hot tub.

We are from southwestern pa, it takes us abt 12 hours as well with stops!

We actually stay in North Myrtle, we find it to be a little slower paced for the kids.

As for things to do, we usually go out to eat abt 4x a week, goto barefoot landing once. We do that Alligator Adventure and goto Ripley's Aquarium sometimes. We always have a "cook out" at condo too! Our kids are younger so it isn't so easy to go out, especially if it includes waiting. We stay away from the "Pavilion" area after a few bad experiences. Lol.

We never go out of our way to find too much to do, since we are on vacation- it's nice to relax!!
trewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Lucky'sMom
DIS Veteran

I have been reading up on this topic, as I was hoping to go there this summer. As you can see, I have a kids ranging from 12-20, and the most recommended resorts so far have been the Caribbean Resort and Dunes Village. I booked at the Caribbean, but honestly, for a 3 bedroom, it is $400/night. ouch. Last summer, we stayed in a BEAUTIFUL 5 bedrm/5bath house in Reunion Resort (Orlando) for $149/night. I am having trouble stomaching the prices at the beach! I may go back to Orlando. The beachfront resorts are just SO expensive!

2014-June, Windsor Hills pool home and HRH; 2012-July, RPR and Reunion resort pool home; May,Marriott's Grande Vista; 2011 -Jan: CSR and free dining! May: CBR (just DH and I!) ; 2009 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek Presidential Suite!; 2008 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek and RPR; 2007 - POR, Wonder Cruise, BWV; 2006 - Springhill Suites, UO and PBH, Nick Hotel; 2005 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins; 2003 - Poly, OKW, AsMo; 2002 - UO and RPR; 2001 - Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2000 - Holiday Inn Family Suites, ASMu; 1996 - Swan; 1995 - Swan, ASSp, ASMu; 1994 - POFQ;1990 - College Spring Break, off-site; Many trips as a child
Lucky'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
lisaross
DIS Veteran

OUCH !!! i will not pay 400 a night....i was looking to spend about 200 a night! Am i being unrealistic?

Maybe i don't need the waterpark included but i would definitly like to be able to walk to the beach - rather have it out my back door even if that means staying at a smaller hotel - i don't even mind a motel - if its on the beach - nice pool - hot tub and Great Location!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky'sMom View Post
I have been reading up on this topic, as I was hoping to go there this summer. As you can see, I have a kids ranging from 12-20, and the most recommended resorts so far have been the Caribbean Resort and Dunes Village. I booked at the Caribbean, but honestly, for a 3 bedroom, it is $400/night. ouch. Last summer, we stayed in a BEAUTIFUL 5 bedrm/5bath house in Reunion Resort (Orlando) for $149/night. I am having trouble stomaching the prices at the beach! I may go back to Orlando. The beachfront resorts are just SO expensive!

2009 - Disney/Universal
2015 - PLANNING

Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
ssawka
DIS Veteran

I can't recommend a hotel, but having been to both Myrtle and Hilton Head, I would say look for a place in Hilton Head, unless you want to do the touristy stuff. HHI has a much nicer beach, but doesn't have as much touristy stuff (them restaurants, shows, etc.)

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Some of the nicer hotels in Myrtle Beach are

Marina Inn Grande Dunes - not oceanfront, but they have private beach access by shuttle or you can drive and park there. It is a AAA 4 diamond property.

Marriott Grande Dunes - oceanfront with nice pool. Also a 4 diamond property.

Embassy Suites at Kingston Plantation - I think this has a small water park. We haven't stayed here, but we know people who have and they have liked it. Includes breakfast.

There is a Hilton at/near Kingston Plantation. Don't know anything about it, but I have seen it and it is oceanfront.

Kingston Plantation also has condos to rent.

Hampton Inn and Suites gets/used to get good reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed here once for a night and moved to the Marriott Grande Dunes, but we had booked a regular room and it seems that most positive reviews were for the suites.

We have stayed a few times at Dunes Village, most recently in January. I think your kids are probably too old to appreciate the water park for more than an hour or two. My kids are 13 and 10 - the 13 year old went down a couple of slides and was done. The 10 year old lasted about an hour but actually preferred the outdoor lazy river (in January ). Dunes Village is like a much, much smaller Great Wolf Lodge with slides and small pools divided between two buildings. Dunes does have a nice oceanfront location.

Some of our friends recommended the Breakers the next time we go to MB and want a hotel with a water park. We have not been there personally.

I find most of the MB hotels to be a bit rundown, but we like the Marriott and the Marina Inn a lot. It just depends what you are looking for.

Be sure to visit Wonderworks if you have not been to the Orlando one (or another one). The kids and adults in our family love it!
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewin View Post
I am following this thread! I am looking for a nicer place to stay. Our condo we stay in has been the same since I was 12! our family is finally too big to stay there! I'd love to find somewhere affordable w/ a lazy river and hot tub.

We are from southwestern pa, it takes us abt 12 hours as well with stops!

We actually stay in North Myrtle, we find it to be a little slower paced for the kids.

As for things to do, we usually go out to eat abt 4x a week, goto barefoot landing once. We do that Alligator Adventure and goto Ripley's Aquarium sometimes. We always have a "cook out" at condo too! Our kids are younger so it isn't so easy to go out, especially if it includes waiting. We stay away from the "Pavilion" area after a few bad experiences. Lol.

We never go out of our way to find too much to do, since we are on vacation- it's nice to relax!!
Have you considered the Outer Banks, NC? You can probably get house with a pool for your larger family at a decent price.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka View Post
I can't recommend a hotel, but having been to both Myrtle and Hilton Head, I would say look for a place in Hilton Head, unless you want to do the touristy stuff. HHI has a much nicer beach, but doesn't have as much touristy stuff (them restaurants, shows, etc.)
I agree that Hilton Head has a nicer beach and a calmer vibe. But it is also about 3-4 hours past MB for you, OP. It is better for nature activities (kayaking, etc.), but as the PP said, there are fewer touristy things. There is a DVC property in Hilton Head.

If you can find a property you like in MB, you will not run out of things to keep the kids busy.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
rdevine10
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them- Walt Disney

We have been a couple times and we were plannning going back this summer, until DH won tickets to Disney at work So, we are going back to Disney instead!

But that being said, the Grand Strand is 60 miles of beach in SC. It starts North of Myrtle Beach and ends South of it. There are many things to do, but it will be difficult to walk to a lot of attractions, you will need to get in your car.

The "strip" area of Myrtle is closer to where the Pavilion was (is no longer). I find that area to be a bit too much for me to take. The south end of the strip does have some abandoned and not nicely kept properties, so it pays to do your research.

We have stayed at Compass Cove (which we thought was nice- lots of pools), although closer to that not so great area. And, also at Dunes Village. I do agree with what the poster above stated- your kids might be more bored with the water features there.

I would look at the Caribbean (still in the strip area, but the last hotel), the Breakers. I also looked at the Avista (more north), Sea Watch (more north), the Prince Resort (I believe in North Myrtle). There are literally a ton of places to choose from. Go on the forums at tripadvisor for Myrtle Beach and start reading. They are not as active as the disboards, but helpful for plannning. Also, look at homeway.com, vrbo, etc. Sometimes you can rent from an owner for a much better rate (but compare cleaning costs, linens, etc) when comparing booking directly from the hotel.

Lastly, enjoy! I will miss Myrtle this summer, but we will go to the beach in FL instead!
Too many childhood trips to count. 9/00- ASMovies, 5/05- Pop, 9/06- Pop, 9/07- Pop, 5/08-AKL & Summer Bay, 9/08- Pop, 4/09-Nick Hotel & Caribe Royal, 4/10-Bonnet Creek, 9/10- Pop, 4/11 Disney Dream Cruise-4night (Nassau & Castaway Cay x 2) & Bonnet Creek, 4/12 Carnival Legend Cruise (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize & Cozumel) & CBR, 4/13- Bonnet Creek 8/13- Daytona Beach, RCCL Enchantment of the Seas (Nassau & Coco Cay) & Art of Animation! 4/2014- Carnival Freedom (Key West, Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman) & Caribe Royal 7/14- Daytona Beach & Holiday Inn Resort Lake Beuna Vista 8/14- Atlantis Resort, Paradise Island, Bahamas

Last edited by rdevine10; 03-30-2013 at 12:56 PM.
rdevine10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
lisaross
DIS Veteran

Hilton Head sounds nice and relaxing but would not want to add on another few hours of driving..

How many days do u need at MB? would 4 or 5 nights be good? We are not into driving far, so would probably stop 1/2 way in both directions and stay at a motel for the night.

2009 - Disney/Universal
2015 - PLANNING

Old 03-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'sMom View Post
I agree that Hilton Head has a nicer beach and a calmer vibe. But it is also about 3-4 hours past MB for you, OP. It is better for nature activities (kayaking, etc.), but as the PP said, there are fewer touristy things. There is a DVC property in Hilton Head.

If you can find a property you like in MB, you will not run out of things to keep the kids busy.
Actually, it's only 1-2 hours further to HHI then to Myrtle Beach. IMO, it's totally worth the extra drive. If the OP is looking to Myrtle solely for the beach, I personally don't think it is worth a 12 hr drive to get basically what you could get at the Jersey shore. Granted, I did like Myrtle much better than Jersey, but not 12 hrs better.

To Myrtle Beach:
I-95 S to US-501 S
11 hrs 41 mins / 684.65 miles

US-301 S to I-95 S
12 hrs 21 mins / 683.27 miles

I-95 S
12 hrs 32 mins / 697.03 miles
To Hilton Head Island:
New Jersey Turnpike S to I-95 S
13 hrs 31 mins / 821.06 miles

US-301 S to I-95 S
14 hrs 27 mins / 836.83 miles

(Me) (DD 12)

Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
mom2t
Mouseketeer

Compass Cove is a dump. I would never stay there. Long Bay is great. They even have small kitchens in some rooms. The restaurant there is fabulous for breakfast and dinner.
mom2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Another big fan of Long Bay.

We've also rented through condo-world and enjoyed it.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
smcabee
Boomer Sooner

Dont have any hotel recommendations but check out

http://funbeaches.com/forum/

Its a Myrtle beach forum populated by a lot of locals. They have some good ideas and info when it comes to Myrtle Beach.
smcabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: