Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
pampam
DIS Veteran

Leaving cable for Netflex??

I see on other boards that others have done this, but I'm not sure what the Canadian experience would be. On other boards they mention Hulu, etc. We like things to be simple. With cable, I turn on the tv and channel up or down with the remote. Is it that simple with Netflix? Would I regret cancelling the cable? I sure would like to get rid of the monthly $60.00 bill.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Northstar
DIS Veteran

Would you regret cancelling the cable? Depends on what you like to watch.

If you want sports, Netflix won't cut it.

If you want to watch current season episodes of your favourite shows, Netflix won't have them. However, if you can get Internet on your TV screen, you can often go to the network's web site and watch episodes a few days after they aired. (I know "get Internet on your TV screen" is a dumb way to say this, but my DH is my tech wizard and he was the one who configured the Wii and Playstation to... well, get Internet on our TV screen).

My family got Netflix last year and that's all we watch these days. The selection of movies is good (not great, but good). The selection of old season TV shows is TOO good... my DH and DD are driving me nuts watching whole seasons of How I Met Your Mother, Community, and Breaking Bad in marathon TV viewing sessions.

Why not activate the free trial month of Netflix and try to use only that for a month? If you're happy with what they have, then cancel your cable.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
gilsan
DIS Veteran

We have been debating about cancelling cable too. I think we will be doing that it is rare we watch anything on live tv anymore. We do use a service that is a DNS proxy, http://www.unblock-us.com/, which makes our IP look like we are in the US. US netflix is much better than Canadian. We also subscribe to HULU for $4.99 a month.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

We have both, Netflix is pretty cheap. Depends on what you watch, as others have said. We watch a lot of PBS, Food network, Discovery--Netflix isn't filling the tv niche for us, though ds is in the middle of, like, 40 episodes of "Ironman". Annoying that so many movies on the US version aren't available to us. I have been meaning to try one of those thingies that change your IP, not sure if it would be easy to make it work through the wii. For $8 a month or whatever it is, it's a supplement.

Xbox charges you an extra $10 a month or something like that for "xbox live" to access netflix. We dragged the wii up from the family room so we didn't have to pay the extra.

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

We wouldn't be able to just watch NetFlix. If they eventually provide the same service as US then I might consider it but not right now. There aren't enough 'new' things added regularly yet

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
iwasthatguy
Earning My Ears

you can use un-blockus. they show you how set it up for x box wii or ps3 and its very easy.plus they have a 7 day free trial
iwasthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwasthatguy View Post
you can use un-blockus. they show you how set it up for x box wii or ps3 and its very easy.plus they have a 7 day free trial
Thanks for that! I will check it out...

1st trip May/June 06
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
Old 03-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

All of the networks have most of their shows online. We went for two years netflix and streaming. We recently added back a $25 package with Shaw Cable just to give us some filler channels.

There are also a lot of grey market options available for other shows. (Private message me if you want some help in this area)

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
We like things to be simple. With cable, I turn on the tv and channel up or down with the remote. Is it that simple with Netflix? Would I regret cancelling the cable? I sure would like to get rid of the monthly $60.00 bill.
No, it is not that simple, my husband is in IT so he has it set up some mysterious way that never works for me, and it drives me nuts trying to get the PC to start up and Netflix to work.

My husband and kids don't seem to mind, but it does annoy me, so I just don't watch TV.

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
RainbowsMist
"There's a little kid in all of us..."

We dropped ours back in January... NO regrets at all. We use the unblock on the Xbox and PC's...but most times we just download shows/movies and watch via HDMI on our TV. Come NFL time we'll have to figure out something though but an extra $80 in my pocket is better than theirs for now!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

March 2013 Carnival Breeze & Offsite
March 2012 Jamaica
March 2011 - Offsite
April 2010 - Offsite
March 2007 - Offsite *First Family Florida Vacation!*
RainbowsMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

Another vote here for unblock-us. The service basically tricks websites into thinking you are in the US even though you are in Canada. This is useful for us because it lets us get the US Netflix that has far more content. You can also get Hulu, a service that provides a lot of TV content too.

Not sure where you are located, but next time you are in the US consider getting a Roku. They have them in Canada too, but if you buy it here then you will only get Canadian content even with Unblock-us. Buying it in the US lets you get the US content. A Roku is a device that lets you easily access netflix and hulu without the need to turn on a PC. Just plug it into your network and your tv and it is as simple as using a remote control.

We upgraded our internet service through Bell to have unlimited bandwidth so we don't care how much we stream. There are also other companies out there like teksavvy, distributel, primus and others that also offer unlimited internet. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
bdoyledimou
Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in the 60's

keep in mind that unless you have unlimited internet -- this is NOT going to be cheap --- your internet over charges will be huge.. we use about 25 GB per day with Netflix and Hulu -- rogers and bell generally top out at 125 GB per month.

Check out Teksavvy or Start.ca
14th Trip with our Foster Kids!
bdoyledimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
KNovacovschi
DIS Veteran

I work for a cable company and would not suggest dropping cable for Netflix, if anything maybe just downgrade to basic. That way if you don't like Netflix no fees to restart your cable service. Also yes Netflix has some good stuff but not as great as the states & no current seasons. It also does use your Internet usage really quickly so if you choose to do that I would perhaps look into what Internet packages your provider has available, don't forget if you watch videos online such as YouTube & torrent sites they use your bandwidth as well so it will all add up really quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

DD-17 DH-34 ME-37

Sept 17-23, 2006 - POP; Aug 12-18, 2007 - POP; Oct 14-20, 2012 - POP; Nov 17-23, 2013 - POP; Sept 27-Oct 4, 2014 - POP (adult only); Jan 26-30, 2015 - POP (Solo); Sept 20-26, 2015 - POP (DM/DD trip)

I've been sprung....YEAH
KNovacovschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Stephanopops, does the roku work with unblock us or does it replace the need for it?

1st trip May/June 06
Old 03-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Netflix sure wouldn't be enough at my house!
We have satellite-Netflix and Apple TV. Jump between them all..

IMO Netflix in Canada at least has the least to offer.
minnie56 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: